Page 4 of 18
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 trailer
DBOSHO 10:15 AM 04-30-2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_kDb...e_gdata_player

Looks intense. Im really looking forward to this. SMD if repost
[Reply]
Great Expectations 02:47 PM 06-28-2011
KC Fish is a muggle; Harry is a stud at Quidditch. In his first year he started at Seeker for Griffindo, he has been captain on the team and led them to 3 Quidditch Cups.
[Reply]
JD10367 03:21 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by KC Fish:
I just don't like anything about the Harry Potter character. He's been weak and dependent on others since the beginning of the series. His uncertainty regarding himself, his abilities, and even his destiny hasn't improved over 7 books. He's a wimpy pacifist. Always feeling sorry for himself. Everyone around him, including his friends of the same age, are better than Potter in their own various ways. Hermoine is a much better spellcaster. Ron is much stronger.

And the majority of his "victories" have come about only with the help of others, or blind luck. He's like an Anakin Skywalker that never actually grows up and turns into a badass.

How many of Potter's enemies do you think he could defeat by himself in equal combat without his mommy's "protection" or whatever other excuse. I'd rather have Hermoine any day...
You're kind of missing the whole point. The books and films were never about Harry being Yoda-powerful. The point initially was that he thought he was just average and it turned out he was "the chosen one". What preteen doesn't daydream about being that (i.e. more powerful or "special" than others)? Then he had to deal with the fact that everyone expected him to be powerful, and he really didn't have any special powers aside from his connection to Voldemort. He had to rely on his friends, and his smarts (since, at heart, every book has basically been an Agatha Christie-like detective story). And it all took place as he was dealing with the sometimes more painful transition from adolescent to adult (which, as in "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", is sometimes harder than the special-ability stuff). Ultimately Rowling's message has been that it's better to be a good person ("choosing Gryffindor over Slytherin") and have good friends, and be smart, than it is to simply be "all-powerful" like Voldemort. This isn't new ground. From Disney's "Aladdin" to the "Star Wars" universe, that moral has been pushed before. If you honestly wanted the whole seven books and films to be pretty much a version of "Anakin Skywalker stays good and kicks everyone's ass", that would've been pretty boring.
[Reply]
bowener 08:00 PM 06-28-2011
In honor of the massive battle going on between fans of SW/ST/B5 in another thread:

[Reply]
RealSNR 08:45 PM 06-28-2011
Also, that scene in the preview where Harry is with Voldemort on the tall tower and goes, "Time to finish how we started. Together." and then belays both himself and Voldemort off the edge.

Umm... where? In the book
Spoiler!

There is no line like that or scene where Harry and Voldemort fall out of the fucking tower
[Reply]
JD10367 08:47 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by SNR:
Also, that scene in the preview where Harry is with Voldemort on the tall tower and goes, "Time to finish how we started. Together." and then belays both himself and Voldemort off the edge.

Spoiler!

There is no line like that or scene where Harry and Voldemort fall out of the ****ing tower
It looks like they extended the battling between Harry and Voldemort, since it was fairly perfunctory in the novel.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:56 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by JD10367:
It looks like they extended the battling between Harry and Voldemort, since it was fairly perfunctory in the novel.
Clearly. I just remember when they started making the first few movies. JK Rowling had her hands in all the cooking pots. Especially the first two. Hell, in the Sorcerer's Stone you could bring your copy of the book into the movie theater and skim through it. All the action and even some of the dialogue lined up exactly (Dumbledore's "Alas, earwax!")

Compare that to Rowling's willingness to leave out several important book items in order to make the later movies more palatable. And then after that she allowed Harry and Hermione to fucking dance in Part One. Since when is this the same woman who wanted the books to be faithfully observed as sacred texts?
[Reply]
DeezNutz 08:57 PM 06-28-2011
I'm guessing the fall from the tower is a dream sequence, which would obviously be an addition.

There is zero chance that the film will screw up the show-down in the woods and King's Crossing, since Rowling has contributed to all of the films.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 08:58 PM 06-28-2011
Clearly. I just remember when they started making the first few movies. JK Rowling had her hands in all the cooking pots. Especially the first two. Hell, in the Sorcerer's Stone you could bring your copy of the book into the movie theater and skim through it. All the action and even some of the dialogue lined up exactly (Dumbledore's "Alas, earwax!")

Compare that to Rowling's willingness to leave out several things in the books in order to make the movies more palatable. And then she allowed Harry and Hermione to ****ing dance in Part One. Umm... okay?
Eh, nice allusion to Sorcerer's Stone: magic is the most powerful magic here (Dumbledore, when everyone sings the school anthem).
[Reply]
luv 10:08 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
I'm guessing the fall from the tower is a dream sequence, which would obviously be an addition.

There is zero chance that the film will screw up the show-down in the woods and King's Crossing, since Rowling has contributed to all of the films.
I don't see how they're going to do Snape's scene, with them leaving out so much from when Harry saw his memories.
[Reply]
dpg4zombie 07:00 AM 06-29-2011
A little insite into the Death Scene.Dont look if you dont want to know. Doesnt give to much away it just gives the location

http://www.hpana.com/news.21247.html
[Reply]
JD10367 09:04 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by dpg4zombie:
A little insite into the Death Scene.Dont look if you dont want to know. Doesnt give to much away it just gives the location

http://www.hpana.com/news.21247.html
Meh, I have no problem with it. I always found the Death Scene you're referencing to be a pretty wimpy and quick useless way to go out. It was very "Boba Fett in the Sarlacc Pit".

I enjoyed reading all the books. I've liked the movies (although the past few have blown chunks; the first four were the best). But I'm not fanatic to the point that I consider her books to be Bibles. Filmmakers need to make things more visual than literal, for obvious reasons (you're watching, not reading). As long as they don't mess with plot points that affect character actions and thinking, I'm fine. (For example, we suddenly find out that Ron is a crossdresser, LOL.)
[Reply]
Swanman 11:18 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:

I don't have a ton of faith in that at this point. Let's not forget they left out the very important sequence in HBP that explained how Tom Riddle/Voldemort came into existence in order for them to put a completely nonsensical action sequence into the middle of the movie that wasn't in the book.
[Reply]
Swanman 11:20 AM 06-29-2011

Spoiler!

There is no line like that or scene where Harry and Voldemort fall out of the fucking tower
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mr. Plow 11:22 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Swanman:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Swanman 11:45 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]