ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>IT issues... 2nd internet source suggestions?
Couch-Potato 03:30 PM 04-20-2021
Hello,

I have a problem, I want a second internet source in my apartment for work purposes. My new company monitors your internet traffic so I want to keep work and personal separate, can't have them knowing how much time I spend on CP! lol

Does not sound like a big problem, but its a harder problem than expected. Spectrum owns rights as a provider in my zip code, does not allow multiple router + modem options meaning you can't have 2 internet sources for a single apartment. No major wireless carrier (att, sprint, Verizon) can offer a truly unlimited plan for mifi device (none-phone hot spot box) that would allow me to work from home 5 days a week with multiple hours of video conferences per day. Verizon offers unlimited but only 20g of high speed before crawling to the slowest pace on the market, att only offers 35g then they charge you $10 per 2g above, forget t-mobile.

What to do? How to get reasonable, reliable, unlimited, worry-free, quality 2nd internet?
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 09:36 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Meanwhile....In Couch-Potato's Apartment:

(thumbs up for more of this series that I stole from his work computer)
OMG what the actual fuck am i seeing
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:53 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Not every market has cable and DSL. In some cases, a single company owns all the last mile infrastructure. In your case, it sounds like your locations have both phone lines and cable feeds via different copper/fiber plants. So you not only have 2 service providers, you have 2 access providers. There are places where there's only 1 access provider. My market only has one and the only way to get a different internet provider would be via a inter-carrier agreement or via some type of wireless or non-terrestrial service.
Having 1 access provider sucks. You live out in the sticks? :-)

I just can't imagine LA doesn't have a telco and a cable provider who both provide internet.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:59 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:

I just can't imagine LA doesn't have a telco and a cable provider who both provide internet.
In my case, it actually doesn't suck. Yes, I love in the country and the closest town has 600 people.

But my provider is an independent cooperative and have fiber to my house. :-)
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 10:01 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Can you use your phone as your mode. On your on equipment? As a hot spot
Jokes aside the combo of phone hotspot and internet from a mifi device is the best option available.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 10:11 AM 04-21-2021
If you guys must know...

I run DMT for the machine-gnome cartel, sex-traffic endangered species for rich businessmen with kinks, hunt whale meat in international waters without a license for fun and mix my Fruit-Loops with Cinnamon Toast Crunch for breakfast.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:11 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
In my case, it actually doesn't suck. Yes, I love in the country and the closest town has 600 people.

But my provider is an independent cooperative and have fiber to my house. :-)
Ah you got the best of both worlds. I would like to live in the country but I need internet.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:16 AM 04-21-2021
Ah you got the best of both worlds. I would like to live in the country but I need internet.
Yeah, since it's a co-op, we the stakeholders get to direct use of dividends. For years, that was a check at the end of the year.

A little over 10 years ago now, we voted to pull fiber to every house in all 3 exchanges served. A little over 2000 people, only 1500 of which actually live in a "town".

I have a 100M full-duplex, ethernet connection. I could get higher download speeds but opted for the bigger upload instead due to work.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:16 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
mix my Fruit-Loops with Cinnamon Toast Crunch for breakfast.
You monster!
[Reply]
Shag 10:26 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Respectfully, you are wrong. When a major company decides to investigate you, they will use all of your electronic comms to their advantage, and do it effectively.
Regardless of how wrong you are, let's just say this is true. Why can't this NSA-like company also track your secret second internet connection?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:34 AM 04-21-2021
Have you gotten the covid vaccine? If so, that's probably how they're monitoring your internet activity (i.e., the vaccine links to any device running a Microsoft OS). It sounds like you work for a reputable corporation given their overarching monitoring, so presumably you have really solid healthcare. If that's the case, you could consider cutting off your arm and replacing it with a prosthesis to sever (no pun intended) the monitoring link. Should be covered under healthcare and that altogether might be a cheaper option than trying to establish a new ISP.

Hope this helps.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 10:38 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC:
OMG what the actual **** am i seeing

A random screen grab from his "work" computer from approximately 1:36 AM
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:47 AM 04-21-2021

At my address, we have the option of Spectrum (which has been my provider since 2005) and AT&T (which I had from 2003-2005).

We're 10 miles from the AT&T station so the best possible speed we can get is 15 mbps. With Spectrum, we're at 450+ mbps.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:49 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
At my address, we have the option of Spectrum (which has been my provider since 2005) and AT&T (which I had from 2003-2005).

We're 10 miles from the AT&T station so the best possible speed we can get is 15 mbps. With Spectrum, we're at 450+ mbps.
Most of Southern California has one of two telephone providers and neither of them are Spectrum. Of course, DSL isn't available if you're more than so far from a CO or if there's certain line conditions present, so that may be why Spectrum is his only option.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:26 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
Regardless of how wrong you are, let's just say this is true. Why can't this NSA-like company also track your secret second internet connection?
You wouldn't keep your wife and your side-piece in the same home, would you!? Of course not, the kids would get along fine, sure, but...well, we've all made that mistake before, I don't need to tell ya how it goes...
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:28 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
A random screen grab from his "work" computer from approximately 1:36 AM
You're supposed to pay for the show!

pic was hilarious.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up