ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>IT issues... 2nd internet source suggestions?
Couch-Potato 03:30 PM 04-20-2021
Hello,

I have a problem, I want a second internet source in my apartment for work purposes. My new company monitors your internet traffic so I want to keep work and personal separate, can't have them knowing how much time I spend on CP! lol

Does not sound like a big problem, but its a harder problem than expected. Spectrum owns rights as a provider in my zip code, does not allow multiple router + modem options meaning you can't have 2 internet sources for a single apartment. No major wireless carrier (att, sprint, Verizon) can offer a truly unlimited plan for mifi device (none-phone hot spot box) that would allow me to work from home 5 days a week with multiple hours of video conferences per day. Verizon offers unlimited but only 20g of high speed before crawling to the slowest pace on the market, att only offers 35g then they charge you $10 per 2g above, forget t-mobile.

What to do? How to get reasonable, reliable, unlimited, worry-free, quality 2nd internet?
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:14 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Do you have any neighbors that you are friends with or at least trust? Somebody suggested earlier just pay or split their bill and use their wifi. Probably best if it's an old person as they likely won't have any monitoring setup.
Unfortunately not, security is a concern in the building after routine break-ins so I would likely get reported if I tried to proposition someone.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:20 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'd still like to hear more about your setup with the previous employer.

I'm genuinely intrigued by how they could spy on you like that. All incredulity aside, the guys aren't wrong - what you said they did is EXTREMELY difficult to do (aka impossible) without very specific solutions in place to do it.

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

-Arthur C. Clarke

:-)
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 07:57 AM 04-21-2021
Do they only monitor your internet traffic during work hours or during all hours? Bc, I understand during the time you're supposed to be working, but when you're not, what you do online is your business and not theirs. Especially given it's internet paid for and supplied by yourself.

This may have already been addressed in this thread, and if so, you can ignore me.

Hopefully, you find the solution that works for ya
[Reply]
wazu 08:24 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC:
Do they only monitor your internet traffic during work hours or during all hours? Bc, I understand during the time you're supposed to be working, but when you're not, what you do online is your business and not theirs. Especially given it's internet paid for and supplied by yourself.

This may have already been addressed in this thread, and if so, you can ignore me.

Hopefully, you find the solution that works for ya
They are tracking his every move. Most likely have hacked into his cell phone to monitor that as well. I would imagine HR has a file on him that includes a link to this thread. Chances are since you posted in this thread you are also now being monitored/investigated.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:32 AM 04-21-2021
I can't imagine in LA there isn't 2 or more internet providers. We use SD-WAN at our company and even in shit hole rural MO we have 2 internet providers at all of our offices.

I would look to see who your local phone company is they most likely provide internet.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:36 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I can't imagine in LA there isn't 2 or more internet providers. We use SD-WAN at our company and even in shit hole rural MO we have 2 internet providers at all of our offices.

I would look to see who your local phone company is they most likely provide internet.
You're buying off of a business agreement. Inter-carrier access arrangements are in place to allow your local service provider to sell their service over someone else's cabling.

That doesn't always exist in the consumer space and even in places where they do, it's prohibitively expensive. It's very market-specific and I'm not overly familiar with LA so I can't say for sure if other wireline options exist.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:42 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
They are tracking his every move. Most likely have hacked into his cell phone to monitor that as well. I would imagine HR has a file on him that includes a link to this thread. Chances are since you posted in this thread you are also now being monitored/investigated.
Funny that you mentioned that as I have been wondering about that while reading this thread. If he is so concerned about that then why is it okay for him to post this thread and subsequent responses? Isn't he concerned that they will find out about this?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:45 AM 04-21-2021
Can you use your phone as your mode. On your on equipment? As a hot spot
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:48 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You're buying off of a business agreement. Inter-carrier access arrangements are in place to allow your local service provider to sell their service over someone else's cabling.

That doesn't always exist in the consumer space and even in places where they do, it's prohibitively expensive. It's very market-specific and I'm not overly familiar with LA so I can't say for sure if other wireline options exist.
Yes and no. In our smaller offices we use a telephone provider (DSL) and the cable provider. I could do that now at my house with Century Link (now Lumen) and Charter.
[Reply]
wazu 08:51 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Funny that you mentioned that as I have been wondering about that while reading this thread. If he is so concerned about that then why is it okay for him to post this thread and subsequent responses? Isn't he concerned that they will find out about this?
I'm guessing this thread is the last straw. This is a very powerful company and most likely they will order a drone strike to his address if they haven't already.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:53 AM 04-21-2021
I mean... I guess the previous company could have installed malware on your router somehow, but probably would have needed you to log into it from their device in order to steal the password. Or infected other devices on the network with tracking software, which makes more sense from what you're describing. Hijacking their device's camera makes more sense if it had a view of you playing Xbox and what not. Or their IT guy came over and installed cameras in your smoke detectors and bugged your apartment and all of your clothing and shoes and stuff because someone slipped sensitive information into a bag while you were shopping, but you don't know that yet. Wait, that's the plot to Enemy of the State.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:56 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Yes and no. In our smaller offices we use a telephone provider (DSL) and the cable provider. I could do that now at my house with Century Link (now Lumen) and Charter.
Not every market has cable and DSL. In some cases, a single company owns all the last mile infrastructure. In your case, it sounds like your locations have both phone lines and cable feeds via different copper/fiber plants. So you not only have 2 service providers, you have 2 access providers. There are places where there's only 1 access provider. My market only has one and the only way to get a different internet provider would be via a inter-carrier agreement or via some type of wireless or non-terrestrial service.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 09:07 AM 04-21-2021
Meanwhile....In Couch-Potato's Apartment:

(thumbs up for more of this series that I stole from his work computer)
[Reply]
Nirvana58 09:23 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I trust you know more than I do, believe me, it is a certainty. If you are so very tech-savvy and I am so dumb, please prove it further by solving the following problem that I'm having trouble with bc it would make me happy not bc it is necessary: What is the simplest and most cost-effective way to add a second internet source for my home office? lol

If paying multiple charges for data overdraft on a mifi box to work on is the answer (~$200-$250/mo), or paying for 2 mifi contracts and splitting time between them over the course of the month to ensure I have sufficient quality internet (~$100-150) is the best option, then fine. I can afford it, I'm just annoyed that this is the best option.

So I'm curious, to ask my friends here at CP, kindly, if any of you might have a more effective solution than this?
I posted it earlier in this thread. VLAN your network into 2 separate VLAN. You can usually do this on the router but a managed switch if not. The will have two separate IP schemes. One for work and one personal. Anything in the work side will not be able to see the public side if you do it right.

Unless the NSA or FBI is getting your traffic from the ISP. Then a private VPN tunnel on any device on the public side VLAN you don't want seen. However, the government can really see anything they want if they really want to. It just might take them a lot longer to track it down.

However, like people have said multiple times. If you do the first step there is no way for them to track your public network. Even the biggest tech companies don't have the time or resources to do this unless you really pissed someone off and they hacked you.

You are getting advice from people that do this everyday and do network security for some of the biggest companies out there. It's not magic to us. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 09:30 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Respectfully, you are wrong. When a major company decides to investigate you, they will use all of your electronic comms to their advantage, and do it effectively.
LOL. Respectfully, I'm not not wrong in the slightest. I'm quite familiar with how this technology works. You already admitted you were not. I'm not sure what to tell you. Outside of global espionage situations, what you're describing only happens in movies. I mean, it would maybe be technically possible if someone broke into your apartment, hacked your router and all your devices, heavily modified the operating systems, etc. But from what you're describing and how you're describing it, I'm pretty confident you don't have anything to worry about. People in those situations don't come to football message boards for advice.

Like I said, if you really insist on wasting money for no reason, satellite or cellular are your only other options if Spectrum is your only ISP.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up