ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Alex Smith announces retirement
-King- 09:57 AM 04-19-2021
:-)FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">
:-)FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank">
:-)3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram

:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Elizabeth Smith (@lizbsmith11)

[Reply]
eDave 12:04 PM 04-19-2021
I'll stand my consistency that without Alex we ain't got Mahomes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:04 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
During the Cassel years I developed a festering pessimism about this team. Smith did nothing to assuage those feelings with his extremely inconsistent play, and lack of exciting moments. I wasn't cured of this until Patrick Mahomes.
Same here. Alex Smith was just the continuation of a long and frustrating history of trying to make do with other teams' leftovers.

The was nothing even remotely fun about it. I don't have any ill will towards Alex Smith, the man, or even the football player, as long as he's playing for someone other than the Kansas City Chiefs.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:05 PM 04-19-2021
Best bridge QB we could have asked for in our situation. Helped us get back to relevancy.

It sucked waiting so long to find his replacement but it was worth it in the end
[Reply]
-King- 12:07 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
During the Cassel years I developed a festering pessimism about this team. Smith did nothing to assuage those feelings with his extremely inconsistent play, and lack of exciting moments. I wasn't cured of this until Patrick Mahomes.
If the years we won an average of 10-11 games a season were the same as the years we were winning 4 games a season to you then you were watching football wrong. I don't know what to tell you.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Alex was an enigma. When he was on, he was nails. Those touchdown passes to Hill and Hunt against New England in the 2017 opener are two of the best throws I've ever seen. And who could forget that massive comeback he engineered against the Chargers? Unfortunately, that guy only came out to play a few games a season. I think he had some deep seeded confidence issues that we'll never understand.

But the main thing Alex did was be a welcoming, positive influence on Pat. He could have easily gone the Favre route and been a total dick, but didn't.

Anyway, I wish him well in retirement. And I think he'd make a fine QB coach.
When the pressure was off, like in a season opener where everybody thought the mighty Patriots would win, he was lights out.

But when the lights got brightest, he got the tightest. You're exactly right - it was always about confidence. He put way too much pressure on himself I think and when you do that in clutch situations, mistakes happen. He was so worried about preventing those mistakes, he struck out looking more often than swinging away.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:09 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
If the years we won an average of 10-11 games a season were the same as the years we were winning 4 games a season to you then you were watching football wrong. I don't know what to tell you.
50 years without a Super Bowl appearance. One appearance in the AFC championship during that time.

At some point for a long-time fan, 10-win seasons cease to be very meaningful.
[Reply]
Sorry 12:12 PM 04-19-2021
He was and underdog and mismanaged early in his career. He faltered at the end but he made watching games fun and stressful. He’s be a good college coach
[Reply]
MTG#10 12:12 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Thank you Alex. 3rd best KC Chiefs QB ever.
Statistically, yes. But during his prime Trent Green was better than Alex ever dreamed of.
[Reply]
-King- 12:13 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
50 years without a Super Bowl appearance. One appearance in the AFC championship during that time.

At some point for a long-time fan, 10-win seasons cease to be very meaningful.
So your enjoyment of football always hinges on the end result?

And there's still a huge fucking difference from watching the Cassel teams win 4 games a season and be uncompetitive in the vast majority than watching us win 10-11 and be competitive in the majority. I don't get how one isn't a lot more fun to watch over the other.
[Reply]
Sorry 12:14 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Statistically, yes. But during his prime Trent Green was better than Alex ever dreamed of.
Alex played the game like chess and part of a machine while a guy like pat is the machine.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:15 PM 04-19-2021

And there's still a huge ****ing difference from watching the Cassel teams win 4 games a season and be uncompetitive in the vast majority than watching us win 10-11 and be competitive in the majority. I don't get how one isn't a lot more fun to watch over the other.
This seems to more accurately describe your feelings on the subject (look at all those 10 win seasons!). For those with a discerning eye, you knew the season was over before it began with Smith. It is hard to be interested in the journey when you know how it will end. This might seem like it describes the "haters" and people concerned with the end result, but he was not a QB capable of overcoming the upper tier teams in the NFL when it mattered.
[Reply]
tooge 12:20 PM 04-19-2021
Well, imagine if the Chiefs drafted Geno Smith instead of bringing Alex in. Not that anyone here was advocating for that of course.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:22 PM 04-19-2021

And there's still a huge fucking difference from watching the Cassel teams win 4 games a season and be uncompetitive in the vast majority than watching us win 10-11 and be competitive in the majority. I don't get how one isn't a lot more fun to watch over the other.
Because with AS as our QB we always knew the ending which was no different than Cassel or any other the turd QB's that came before him outside of Trent.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:23 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by tooge:
Well, imagine if the Chiefs drafted Geno Smith instead of bringing Alex in. Not that anyone here was advocating for that of course.
Yeah, who can forget all those championship trophies all of the non-QB draft picks brought us.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:26 PM 04-19-2021

IMO, 10-11 win teams are still pretty mediocre and not great to watch when they mostly play each other all season.

I'd compare a Smith-led season to a Mahomes-led season by the marquee games... the few times we get to watch the Chiefs against the very best.

I don't exactly care about watching Mahomes vs the Jets (I'm only watching for Mahomes, not the overall quality of football), just like I didn't care when Alex Smith beat the Jags in his first game with KC.

OTOH, I absolutely love watching Mahomes against the best teams in the league, which is of course mostly when the games actually matter starting in mid-January.

For the sake of the thread, I have nothing but respect for the guy when it comes to his competitiveness and his drive to get back on the field. He was who we knew he was with the Chiefs and the results show that.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up