ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 16
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Alex Smith announces retirement
-King- 09:57 AM 04-19-2021
:-)FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">
:-)FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank">
:-)3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram

:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Elizabeth Smith (@lizbsmith11)

[Reply]
ROYC75 05:16 PM 04-19-2021
Some of you on here are truly amazing about a players beliefs, vision, or a players overall wisdom or knowledge of the game.

Alex played the game old school in a newer version of football. He wasn't blessed with exceptional talent yet with enough to go with being wise enough to pull off some good football play.

It has made him millions of $$$, how many millions have some of you smartass's have made?

To a First Class guy, Well played Alex, enjoy retirement!
[Reply]
eDave 05:17 PM 04-19-2021
Dicks gonna dick, man.
[Reply]
Brody Wa 05:20 PM 04-19-2021
So, Where does Alex Smith rank when it comes to KC Chiefs Qbs? Does it go
1.Mahomes
2.Dawson
3.Montana
4.Here is where I’m stuck so I’m going to go with Trent Green and Alex Smith tied for 4th. Did I leave anybody out?
[Reply]
Otter 05:30 PM 04-19-2021
I wish he wasn't quiet so conservative in his play making decisions because when he slung the rock it worked. He always struck me as a guy that was more concerned with losing than saying "fuck it" and trying to win.

He helped us transition Mahomes and for that alone I cannot hold any ill will.

I wish nothing but the best.
[Reply]
Halfcan 05:39 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Glad he's retired, and that he did it mostly on his own terms. His comeback will largely define his legacy. Good quarterback, great human being.
Mahomes said today on 610 that Alex was one of the first ones to congratulate him on the birth of his little girl. Pretty classy.
[Reply]
threebag 05:46 PM 04-19-2021
Alex Smith enjoy pounding the shit out of your wife and raising those children, you earned it
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 05:55 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
Some of you on here are truly amazing about a players beliefs, vision, or a players overall wisdom or knowledge of the game.
im.just curious if anyone in this thread actually questioned his wisdom, beliefs, or knowledge of the game? should I bother scrolling back or did you just make all of that up? vision wise, he seemed to get tunnel vision at times and stop looking downfield. but I haven't seen anyone question his smarts or wisdom or "beliefs"...LOL
[Reply]
srvy 06:58 PM 04-19-2021
I don't know when I've heard a bigger crock of shit from so-called chiefs fans here. Wee Lil Beauford's was the bowl flowing over.

Through the Smiff years, game day predictions in the regular season and playoff threads were overwhelmingly we will win this one. When we didn't you had your scapegoat. Its easy to blame one guy and Smiff was so easy with his conservative game management. But football is and always will be a team sport. The team didn't do enough and the coaching game plan was to hide our weakness "Smiff." Plenty of players disappeared in the playoffs also.

I was so happy to finally draft a QB finally again high in the 1st round it was time to move away from Alex. But it's completely disingenuous to claim you lost interest because of Smiff because you were all here hoping and predicting we were finally going to do it.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 07:19 PM 04-19-2021
Alex Smith the Dr. of KC Chiefs football. First, do no harm.
[Reply]
Bump 07:22 PM 04-19-2021
he helped win a playoff game which was a major milestone for the Chiefs at the time. At that point in time it was only the 2nd time in my life I had witnessed a Chiefs playoff victory.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:27 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

He didn’t have the natural talent to play at the elite level in the NFL..
I disagree..SF with 5 OC's in like five years made him overcautious.

Reid & Mahomes have nothing but respect for the guy.

Good enough for me.
[Reply]
-King- 07:40 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
If he wouldn't coach that way, why would he play exactly that way? I've never seen a player as talented as Alex Smith (he was yanno, the 1st overall pick in the draft) be completely as risk adverse as he was. There wasn't anything more he loved to do than to pick up garbage yards on 3rd down with no intention ever of getting to the sticks.
I dunno...maybe it's the injuries and bad o-lines and bad coaching in his younger years that fucked up his confidence.

What about Mike Kafka's play makes him a good qb coach for Mahomes?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:49 PM 04-19-2021
I think Smith's shoulder was fucked after the San Fran fiasco. I don't think he ever really trusted his arm again after that.

He certainly doesn't have to prove his toughness; and while he wasn't good enough to get us over the hump, he WAS good enough to get us back into the play-offs year in and year out.

He's the third or fourth best QB in franchise history, and a good man besides. I don't get the hate.

He was good, just not good enough. And he was a good mentor for Patrick. I don't want him back or anything (unless he was going to come back to backup Patrick) but it's not like he was terrible.

Hell of a career, Alex. Now go bang your wife and maybe take a TV job.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:59 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Eh, it can happen. Brady's first three Super Bowls come to mind, as does Russell Wilson's one and only. 2007 and 2011 for the Giants. 2017 Eagles. 2012 Ravens.

I'm not going to spend a bunch of time thinking about it, but the 2019 49ers and 2017 Vikings came close. None of those teams had premier QBs at the time.
Prior to Brady's first Super Bowl, the Patriots had appeared in the Super Bowl in 1997, just 5 years before.

Russell appeared in two Super Bowls with the Seahawks (2013 and 2014), winning one. The Seahawks had also appeared in the Super Bowl just 8 years earlier, in 2005.

In addition to 2007 and 2011, the Giants had appeared in the Super Bowl in 1990 and again in 2000.

The 49ers played in the 2012 Super Bowl before making it back again in 2019. They lost the NFC Championship 4 times in the 1990's. They also won the 1994 Super Bowl.

The Vikings made it to the 1998, 2000, and 2009 AFC Championship games.

I arbitrarily only went back 20 years but if I had gone further, this statement would be even more impactful:

Between Len Dawson and Mahomes, the Chiefs played in one conference championship game. ONE.

Of the teams you listed, only the Vikings really come close but even then, the Vikings fans at least had SOME evidence they had a punchers chance. Chiefs fans had literally nothing to give them hope. Nothing.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:07 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
I don't know when I've heard a bigger crock of shit from so-called chiefs fans here. Wee Lil Beauford's was the bowl flowing over.

Through the Smiff years, game day predictions in the regular season and playoff threads were overwhelmingly we will win this one. When we didn't you had your scapegoat. Its easy to blame one guy and Smiff was so easy with his conservative game management. But football is and always will be a team sport. The team didn't do enough and the coaching game plan was to hide our weakness "Smiff." Plenty of players disappeared in the playoffs also.

I was so happy to finally draft a QB finally again high in the 1st round it was time to move away from Alex. But it's completely disingenuous to claim you lost interest because of Smiff because you were all here hoping and predicting we were finally going to do it.
It's not disingenuous at all.

I absolutely did lose interest because of Alex Smith. And Matt Cassel, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, and the list goes on.

I was 100% tired of retreads at the QB position and for that reason, I logged off of CP for almost 2 years and missed almost an entire season of Chiefs football where I didn't watch the games.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 16
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up