ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Sam Cosmi
ntexascardfan 03:33 PM 03-15-2021
I think this guy could be our first round target after the Thuney move today. I feel like he's a poor man's Eric Fisher, but could be a steady LT for us for ten years. He also has experience at RT.

He didn't develop as folks thought he would at Texas, but his pro-day was off the charts and he is excellent in pass-pro.

https://twitter.com/PFF_AustinGayle/...9485305872386?
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:24 AM 03-30-2021
Cosmi is going to be fine. His footwork is seriously outstanding. By his sophomore year he should be a really good tackle at least, if not a great one.

The problem is going to be his rookie year. He's 6'7" and his weight is not well distributed. He's going to be an automatic loss against bullrushes all season.

Give him an offseason in an NFL conditioning program, however, and he's going to be a lot harder to move.

I really like him, but he's not as NFL ready as Mayfield or Jenkins or Vera-Tucker or Eichenberg, and Jenkins/AVT are right tackles, and Mayfield may be a guard.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:50 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Cosmi is going to be fine. His footwork is seriously outstanding. By his sophomore year he should be a really good tackle at least, if not a great one.

The problem is going to be his rookie year. He's 6'7" and his weight is not well distributed. He's going to be an automatic loss against bullrushes all season.

Give him an offseason in an NFL conditioning program, however, and he's going to be a lot harder to move.

I really like him, but he's not as NFL ready as Mayfield or Jenkins or Vera-Tucker or Eichenberg, and Jenkins/AVT are right tackles, and Mayfield may be a guard.
AVT may end up at guard too, depending on the team that drafts him.

I actually agree with you here, which is why I'm still wanting to sign a veteran stop gap.

I like Cosmi a lot and I think he's worth trading up for maybe 10-12 spots. But he's not going to be ready day 1, so we're going to need a plan to bridge that gap.
[Reply]
O.city 02:32 PM 03-30-2021
Am I wrong to like Eichenburg better the more I read? Cosmi might have a higher ceiling, but damn Eichenburg seems like he's ready to step in and go day one.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:46 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Am I wrong to like Eichenburg better the more I read? Cosmi might have a higher ceiling, but damn Eichenburg seems like he's ready to step in and go day one.
It's all about priorities.

Do you want a good player that can start right away or a great player that might be an all-pro some day.

I see the merits of both approaches, so I'm not sure I prefer one over the other.

Also, it depends on how the board falls. If we have to trade our 2nd for Cosmi or we could take Eichenberg at 31, I'd go for Eichenberg. I don't want to give away draft picks if we don't have to.
[Reply]
O.city 02:49 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's all about priorities.

Do you want a good player that can start right away or a great player that might be an all-pro some day.

I see the merits of both approaches, so I'm not sure I prefer one over the other.

Also, it depends on how the board falls. If we have to trade our 2nd for Cosmi or we could take Eichenberg at 31, I'd go for Eichenberg. I don't want to give away draft picks if we don't have to.
I'm just not sure Eichenberg can't end up being more than just a good players.

He doesnt' have the athletic profile Cosmi does, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not possible.

He seems to be really smart and a real technician. The more I look and think about this, I think I'm coming around more to that at tackle. Yeah, you've gotta have a certain amount of athlete to play there, but he seems to.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:57 PM 03-30-2021
I'm just not sure Eichenberg can't end up being more than just a good players.

He doesnt' have the athletic profile Cosmi does, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not possible.

He seems to be really smart and a real technician. The more I look and think about this, I think I'm coming around more to that at tackle. Yeah, you've gotta have a certain amount of athlete to play there, but he seems to.
I don't disagree at all. And honestly, that's where I've been on this all along.

I'm not fond of trading away first round picks in future years. But other than that, there's so many ways they can do this and they all have big upside.

They've really done a great job in free agency to prepare for this.
[Reply]
O.city 02:58 PM 03-30-2021
I don't disagree at all. And honestly, that's where I've been on this all along.

I'm not fond of trading away first round picks in future years. But other than that, there's so many ways they can do this and they all have big upside.

They've really done a great job in free agency to prepare for this.
I'd still prefer to trade up for Darrisaw at 12 or 13 but I don't see a way to get up that high even with another first, so we're probably looking at Cosmi/Eich/Jenkins etc.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:59 PM 03-30-2021
I'd still prefer to trade up for Darrisaw at 12 or 13 but I don't see a way to get up that high even with another first, so we're probably looking at Cosmi/Eich/Jenkins etc.
I'd love to get Darrisaw but I just don't see any way to make that happen and not get hosed. Everybody knows we'd be trying to leap frog the Chargers and we'd pay out the nose for that.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:02 PM 03-30-2021
I look at Cosmi and Eichenberg like this.

Eichenberg year one is probably going to give you a B. His ceiling is probably a B+, maybe an A-. He’s Fisher with more technical skill and less athleticism.

Cosmi year one is going to be around a C or C+. His ceiling though is an A or better. He has the athleticism, just not as much weight or technical skill right off the bat.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 03:06 PM 03-30-2021
I'd love to get Darrisaw but I just don't see any way to make that happen and not get hosed. Everybody knows we'd be trying to leap frog the Chargers and we'd pay out the nose for that.
Its probably close to the same deal for Mahomes... this years first + next years first is enough on the points chart to get to #11 or #12, but then the Chiefs likely have to overpay with an additional near term incentive like this years 3rd or 4th.

I wouldn’t be opposed for Darrisaw, but the scouts have to be pretty damn confident in their evaluation. Based on the number of long-term big contracts we are carrying, we have to hit on our draft picks if we want to stay elite. More picks equals more chances to hit. We can’t consistently be trading up or trading away picks for rentals.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 03:08 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

Eichenberg year one is probably going to give you a B. His ceiling is probably a B+, maybe an A-. He’s Fisher with more technical skill and less athleticism.

Cosmi year one is going to be around a C or C+. His ceiling though is an A or better. He has the athleticism, just not as much weight or technical skill right off the bat.
I agree with that assessment... so where is the value for the Chiefs? We are in contention now, do you risk a season rolling with C+ decreasing our chance at another Super Bowl, or commit to the long term B/B+ with the recognition that it offers more value this year without being a hindrance or help in future years?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:28 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

Then you take Eichenberg, and you don't look back.

A 'B' level player at LT is totally a good place to be, for now and the future.

You won't have to give up picks to get him either, and when you have to pay him, it'll be a reasonable deal. Like a more ready to play day one Eric Fisher. I'm in.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:45 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by Kellerfox:
I agree with that assessment... so where is the value for the Chiefs? We are in contention now, do you risk a season rolling with C+ decreasing our chance at another Super Bowl, or commit to the long term B/B+ with the recognition that it offers more value this year without being a hindrance or help in future years?
It just becomes whether they want a top 20 LT versus a top 10 and if they want to sign a stop gap for this year.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 03:52 PM 03-30-2021
We need more than one LT so it doesnt matter who we draft at LT, we still need another one.

I think Okung is a great addition if we sign him. He can start the year at LT if we wait till 31 to pick one. If we trade up for one of the top two or three we still have Okung behind him.
Either way we probably arent counting on Okung to play the whole season which is what were all worried about with him.

I cant wait to see what we do!
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:43 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by Kellerfox:
Its probably close to the same deal for Mahomes... this years first + next years first is enough on the points chart to get to #11 or #12, but then the Chiefs likely have to overpay with an additional near term incentive like this years 3rd or 4th.

I wouldn’t be opposed for Darrisaw, but the scouts have to be pretty damn confident in their evaluation. Based on the number of long-term big contracts we are carrying, we have to hit on our draft picks if we want to stay elite. More picks equals more chances to hit. We can’t consistently be trading up or trading away picks for rentals.
I absolutely agree. I'm not in favor of trading a bunch of picks, especially first rounders.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up