ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:33 PM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Thanks, Dude! That's good to hear. Just got off with Gigabyte and it's dead, so I'm going to return it.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

[Reply]
eDave 06:49 PM 03-29-2021
I have a old 7700 that is now suddenly dropping signal on both analog and hdmi ports. I tested different cables for both. I cleaned, reseated, etc. and a simple reboot fixes it until it happens again about 30 minutes later, sometimes much longer. Opening a game drops it automatically. Sound seems to trigger it too.

Is that a PSU issue or the card itself? Swapped monitors too but the issue perisists.

Thank you.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:31 PM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
I have a old 2770 that is now suddenly dropping signal on both analog and hdmi ports. I tested different cables for both. I cleaned, reseated, etc. and a simple reboot fixes it until it happens again about 30 minutes later, sometimes much longer. Opening a game drops it automatically. Sound seems to trigger it too.

Is that a PSU issue or the card itself? Swapped monitors too but the issue perisists.

Thank you.
sounds like the card
[Reply]
eDave 07:49 PM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
sounds like the card
Yea. Updating drivers as a last ditch effort. I've rebooted 3 times sense I started this convo and it's blinking in and out now.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:36 PM 03-29-2021
I sent back both the CPU and motherboard to Amazon because I wanted to be safe and not waste anymore time troubleshooting.

I looked around and found the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D, which is the newest version, but I'm now a little hesitant to go with another of their boards so instead, I ordered an ASUS Prime Z590-A. The features were exactly the same as I could tell as the Gigabyte and it was nearly $100 dollars less.
[Reply]
Fish 11:03 PM 03-29-2021
My last 2 mobos have been Asus. Current GPU is Asus. Never had an issue, and have been happy with performance.
[Reply]
eDave 06:10 PM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
sounds like the card
I couldn't get my mind off it possibly being a power issue. I disconnected one of my case fans and everything is fine (though I will be replacing the PSU).
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 07:45 PM 03-30-2021
Yeah my MOBO and GPU are both Asus and they have been awesome, you might have been the lucky person to get the dud in that run
[Reply]
jd1020 08:47 PM 03-30-2021
Every company has parts that fail. What matters is choosing a product that fits your needs and is from a company that will stand behind their product and isn't going to try to fuck you and put the blame on you to void the warranty.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03-30-2021, 09:06 PM
This message has been deleted by DaneMcCloud.
BryanBusby 07:22 AM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Every company has parts that fail. What matters is choosing a product that fits your needs and is from a company that will stand behind their product and isn't going to try to fuck you and put the blame on you to void the warranty.
Kinda.

Having not shitty drivers really matters a lot.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:01 AM 03-31-2021
I just want a computer that can run my PS2 emulator better.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 12:47 PM 03-31-2021
Any recommendations on a power supply? My computer just started doing something weird and I think it's related to that. If my computer is off I click the power button it lights up then turns right back off. I do it again and everything is fine. Google search shows it's that. So, was going to run to microcenter on Friday and get one, might get a mobo and an AMD cpu too
[Reply]
Fish 01:26 PM 03-31-2021
Honestly, I've never really been too particular on PS brand. Most are generally the same components rebranded for the thousands of different sellers. Just pay attention to the rating. That's the important part.

Be aware that there are power supplies out there with fake rating standards. Be cautious if the price seems too good to be true. Generally you can check the reviews from other users online and figure out if it's a decent model.

In case you're not aware, there's currently several different types of power supplies. There's the old school original mass of cables hanging out. There's some that are semi-modular. Meaning there's some cabling directly attached, with ports for adding more of your choice. There's also fully modular models. Which is what I prefer. There's lots of ports, so you can attach only the cabling you need, with no extra wires hanging there doing nothing. Really makes the case look cleaner.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:12 PM 03-31-2021
Well, I ordered the wrong motherboard and just had to refuse the Newegg.com order. The ASUS Prime Z590-a supports Thunderbolt 4 but the add-on card is $165 dollars and there's no backwards compatibility just yet.

I was forced to order another i9-10850k, because they wouldn't allow me to keep the CPU - I had to return everything. Now, it comes down to the ASUS ProArt Z490-Creator or the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D. The ASUS is nearly $100 dollars less but it would allow me to upgrade the CPU down the line. But wow, $428 dollars after tax and shipping for a motherboard is a lot of dough.

Decisions, decisions.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:11 PM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well, I ordered the wrong motherboard and just had to refuse the Newegg.com order. The ASUS Prime Z590-a supports Thunderbolt 4 but the add-on card is $165 dollars and there's no backwards compatibility just yet.

I was forced to order another i9-10850k, because they wouldn't allow me to keep the CPU - I had to return everything. Now, it comes down to the ASUS ProArt Z490-Creator or the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D. The ASUS is nearly $100 dollars less but it would allow me to upgrade the CPU down the line. But wow, $428 dollars after tax and shipping for a motherboard is a lot of dough.

Decisions, decisions.
Every day wishing you’d have ordered the components you wanted is a bad day, in my experience.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Up