ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
Fish 10:14 AM 01-28-2021
Looks like a decent gaming setup. You'll want a better power supply though. A 600W is the minimum recommendation for a system with a 3060 GPU. If you want to future proof it, you should probably go a little higher than the suggested bare minimum. Don't go small on the case.

As for monitors, it all depends on how much you have to spend. For current gaming, a good average monitor will be at least 1440p(2K) resolution and 120-144Hz refresh rate. Get the size you can afford.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 10:27 AM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Looks like a decent gaming setup. You'll want a better power supply though. A 600W is the minimum recommendation for a system with a 3060 GPU. If you want to future proof it, you should probably go a little higher than the suggested bare minimum. Don't go small on the case.

As for monitors, it all depends on how much you have to spend. For current gaming, a good average monitor will be at least 1440p(2K) resolution and 120-144Hz refresh rate. Get the size you can afford.
Thanks Fish! Is there any certain brand of power supply that you would recommend or any brands to stay away from?
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 10:52 AM 01-28-2021
Fish nailed everything. Just a bit of ancillary advice: since he's an FPS gamer first he shouldn't buy anything bigger than a 32 inch monitor so he can see his HUD without having to move his focus away from the reticle. He should probably also look into monitor arms if he eventually wants a duel screen set up. One for the game he's playing and one for his spotify, discord, twitch, etc. Don't cheap put on the MKB and invest in wire management so he doesn't have a rats nest to deal with later
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 11:21 AM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
Fish nailed everything. Just a bit of ancillary advice: since he's an FPS gamer first he shouldn't buy anything bigger than a 32 inch monitor so he can see his HUD without having to move his focus away from the reticle. He should probably also look into monitor arms if he eventually wants a duel screen set up. One for the game he's playing and one for his spotify, discord, twitch, etc. Don't cheap put on the MKB and invest in wire management so he doesn't have a rats nest to deal with later
Thanks Clyde!
He's got a small crappy monitor that he uses now that he is thinking about using as a 2nd monitor. Would that be good enough to use for twitch, etc?

MKB...Is that the mouse and keyboard? He has a nice mouse, but just has a cheap keyboard. I hadn't really thought about that, but he probably has. I'll talk to him about it.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 11:37 AM 01-28-2021
I wouldn't go with an old style hard drive even for game storage. Go with an old style ssd little more pricey but way better.

As far as power supply I'll never use anything less then a corsair gold rated and one that is overkill for power consumption. These are just my opinions and I'm definitely no expert just been pc gaming for a decade and have built 4 of them.
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 11:39 AM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
Thanks Clyde!
He's got a small crappy monitor that he uses now that he is thinking about using as a 2nd monitor. Would that be good enough to use for twitch, etc?

MKB...Is that the mouse and keyboard? He has a nice mouse, but just has a cheap keyboard. I hadn't really thought about that, but he probably has. I'll talk to him about it.
Yes and Yes. Most gamers I know prefer matching monitors for the aesthetic but his "crappy" monitor is totally fine to run his secondary apps. You want to look into a mechanical keyboard if his budget allows for it. Fair warning: If your room is near his the clicking might drive you crazy.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 11:41 AM 01-28-2021
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-s...82E16817153231

Here would be a good power supply to put in
[Reply]
Fish 12:42 PM 01-28-2021
Also keep in mind that there's currently an insane demand for graphics cards like the 3060 Ti he wants. Supplies are currently nonexistent. Currently newegg has 0 available 30X0 cards, everything is out of stock. It may be a month or 2 before that will be available. Temper his expectations, it's a lousy time to buy a nice GPU.
[Reply]
Otter 01-28-2021, 12:46 PM
This message has been deleted by Otter. Reason: taking him backwards
Rukdafaidas 02:19 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I wouldn't go with an old style hard drive even for game storage. Go with an old style ssd little more pricey but way better.
He has this in his current computer:

SanDisk - Ultra 1.024 TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

Could we just pull it out and install it in the new computer, instead of the WD hard drive on the list?
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 02:21 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
Yes and Yes. Most gamers I know prefer matching monitors for the aesthetic but his "crappy" monitor is totally fine to run his secondary apps. You want to look into a mechanical keyboard if his budget allows for it. Fair warning: If your room is near his the clicking might drive you crazy.
His room is upstairs and we stay downstairs, so shouldn't be a problem. His younger brother may have a problem with it.:-)
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 02:22 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-s...82E16817153231

Here would be a good power supply to put in
Thanks!
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 02:24 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Also keep in mind that there's currently an insane demand for graphics cards like the 3060 Ti he wants. Supplies are currently nonexistent. Currently newegg has 0 available 30X0 cards, everything is out of stock. It may be a month or 2 before that will be available. Temper his expectations, it's a lousy time to buy a nice GPU.
Yeah, we have been looking for a few weeks. He's willing to wait to build what he wants. He didn't get his patience from me, that's for sure.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:45 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
He has this in his current computer:

SanDisk - Ultra 1.024 TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

Could we just pull it out and install it in the new computer, instead of the WD hard drive on the list?
Yes, you can transfer that drive. If you really want to blow his hair back and get him the latest and fastest for gaming get him one of these to go along with it. On sale right now for $159, usually $199.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-e...quicklink=true
[Reply]
Fish 03:45 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Yes, you can transfer that drive. If you really want to blow his hair back and get him the latest and fastest for gaming get him one of these to go along with it. On sale right now for $159, usually $199.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-e...quicklink=true
Pfffft. So old gen...

New hottness v.4: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-9...OtKZ4Ze7czPEBw

:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Up