ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1829 of 3903
« First < 829132917291779181918251826182718281829 183018311832183318391879192923292829 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 12:02 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Nationally, no, it isn't. But some states are and have met the 10 to 14 day downward trajectory.

But I agree, opening up a state that is seeing continued growth is playing with fire. Like willingly running into a house with a fire that is growing.
No you're 100% right.

The trick to that is going to be a microcosm of a bigger issue. We're going to get jealous of countries that are re-opening while we're stuck at home.

Soon you're going to have the same thing in states. People in Colorado ticked that Wyoming is open, and people are going to get frustrated, even though Wyoming should be open.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:02 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Do you think clutching to a piece of paper written in the 1700s is a great way to run a country today?
Take it to DC if you're going to argue this
[Reply]
Spott 12:03 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Who the hell would want to go on a cruise in August... the height of what is expected to be a very active Atlantic hurricane season, while cruise ships even during normal times are incubators for the spread of contagious diseases.
I had a cruise scheduled last Labor Day out of Miami that got cancelled because of Dorian. We rescheduled it and it would have been this week if not for the current situation. If I do get to book it again, it definitely won’t be during August or September when the hurricanes start up again.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:04 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I never knew how many people voluntarily go to the hospital to get procedures done... it's pretty crazy.

But yeah, in hindsight at least, I doubt hospitals would cancel all elective surgeries for a month or more again (from my limited knowledge of the situation)... there were so many unknowns though that they pulled the plug on everything that wasn't urgent.

I saw an interesting stat the other day when our GDP results came out and that was like half of our GDP loss was due to health care losses due to not doing elective surgeries etc.
[Reply]
jdubya 12:07 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
:-)

It'll get dangerously close to the dumb "x people die from y every year", but.... if we're not overrunning the hospitals or having it run rampant through the front lines, I do think we have to test the waters, so to speak.... and in many parts of the country, we're probably overdue for it.

The short term goal can't be to eradicate it forever, yet the alternative answers are quite messy.

OTOH, pretty sure I've known a few people who have gotten it.... and reading OTWP's story should scare anyone at least a little, so WTF do any of us know, really.
I agree. There are too many counties and states that are not truly affected as those with high density populations so those places should be allowed to resume as much as they deem fit. We cant hide under this rock and hope the boogeyman goes away because he isnt.....time to live and make do the best you can and let the rest of the world live. I am relatively young at 55 and in good shape with no medical issues OTHER than I am a throat cancer survivor x 3 years so yes, I am high risk as is my wife who survived breast cancer. I only mention this so as to give some credibility that I am not some heartless bastard with no skin in the game......but living under a rock is not sustainable much longer......especially for children who need to socialize at this point in their lives. They are the ones affected the most IMO. Elementary school through college.....half of their "education" comes with interaction with other students and teachers.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:07 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Oh so man the border with mines/turrets/military? What are you guys not understanding about the word pandemic?

The Shelter in place was to keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed.. Now you think that is a viable strategy to fight the virus (It's not, Science says as much)
How would the virus live with no hosts?
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:09 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's academically interesting, but I'm not sure why it matters.

It would change every model from input to output and shapes of the curves. It definitely matters.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:09 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
See, that's a concern that you are afforded. I believe that if that's your primary concern then you should consider yourself lucky.

Because people who are actually suffering and struggling through this are worried about their immediate needs, not hoping for the lives of strangers they don't know.
Well I'm worried about my family too (special needs daughter) but I can also be worried about others.

Both can be true
[Reply]
Monticore 12:10 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
except there would always be a 2nd wave period. Regardless if you delay for how ever long opening things up

It's like you don't live in the real world.
Do you think you should have a plan before or just YOLO it ? I am fine with reopening but doing it in a grand scale everywhere doesn’t seem prudent.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:12 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It would change every model from input to output and shapes of the curves. It definitely matters.
Na, not really. Models are built on thousands of data points and dozens of assumptions. Knowing that it existed earlier than we expected might make a minor impact, but it's not going to dramatically alter what we know or how we respond.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:12 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Yeah, but to be honest, pretty much all those jobs will return when things get back to normal. Part of the reason that is happening is because people are not going to the hospital because they're worried about the virus.

It's like everything else, if you increase consumer confidence that they aren't going to risk catching the virus, things will return to normal. This half and half reopen plan is just going to make all these businesses bleed out slowly because none of them are going to be doing the business they were doing before.
This.
[Reply]
jdubya 12:13 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Our parents and grandparents scarified for years during WWII and rationed food etc. We have only been doing this a couple of months and people are ready to give up. Yes we can't do this forever but we should be doing it until June at least and to be honest we should have been doing the super lockdown instead of half ass measures.
Shutting down for a World War is different than shutting down for a virus. This is unprecedented and a very dangerous slippery slope.
[Reply]
jdubya 12:16 PM 05-04-2020
Interesting symposium from these folks.

https://symposium.hillsdale.edu/?utm..._hsmi=87301648
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:16 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
You can't ship milk, eggs, and vegetables. At least not easily.
Milk and eggs? Where's the sense of shared sacrifice you were seeking?
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:17 PM 05-04-2020
Sauto hope you are safe down there we had 80mph straight line winds
[Reply]
Page 1829 of 3903
« First < 829132917291779181918251826182718281829 183018311832183318391879192923292829 > Last »
Up