ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 38
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:20 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by wachashi:
The only reason a team would trade for Sammy right now is if they thought it was very likely he would restructure with the Chiefs at a big pay cut. In that scenario, they'd contact the Chiefs with a trade deal and offer Sammy better compensation. Otherwise, you'd just wait for him to be cut and scoop him up.
His cap hit is $14 million if traded. There will be teams that need a WR and can afford that.
[Reply]
wachashi 11:21 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I could see Miami giving their late 1st + a 2 or 3
More realistic, but still more than we gave up for Clark, and we gave up A LOT for Clark. A late first and a future second.
[Reply]
Lzen 11:23 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
The fact is he was hurt half the year and average the rest of it. Struggled in the SB and is one of the highest-paid players on the team.

No way he is worth 15 million for 2020.
I agree but don't cut him until you have a backup plan in place. And Cam Erving aint it.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:25 AM 02-10-2020
I have always understood that the Chiefs are able to keep Jones, but it's VERY limiting.

Look at it this way:

If you trade Jones you can solve a lot of problems.
If you sign him you create a huge problem that limits this team in the future.

Once traded Jones gives Veach the draft capital he needs to prepare this team for the long haul. With an extra first rounder the Chiefs could then afford to trade out of the first round with one of their picks. The extra pick gained in a trade would also allow Veach the flexibility to move up in the late first round if Veach feels its necessary.

Trading Jones just makes too much sense if you are sitting in the GMs chair as far as I see it.

And Veach is smart to say he wants to keep Jones. Never devalue your asset.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:25 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I agree but don't cut him until you have a backup plan in place. And Cam Erving aint it.
If the goal is for Mahomes to retire from injury problems before age 30 like Andrew Luck, then Cam is the right guy! Smh lol
[Reply]
RunKC 11:25 AM 02-10-2020
I could actually see the NY Giants being a great trade partner for both Watkins and Jones if we go that route
[Reply]
Lzen 11:25 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
If Watkins won’t take a pay cut.....then you try and trade him.
Then you cut LDT, Reiter and Erving. LDT is overpaid and not as good as he once was. Reiter is trash and Erving isn’t an NFL level player. Colquitt needs to retire.

Those moves give you almost $39 million.

Bring back Wiz at LG, draft a center and put Rankin at RG. We have Allegretti and Wylie is a ERFA. We also have Jackson Barton that we signed from the Colts PS.

I like Rankin and Wiz. I could be mistaken but I thought Erving was serviceable as a guard. He just sucks at LT.

What is LDT's cap hit?
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:25 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by wachashi:
More realistic, but still more than we gave up for Clark, and we gave up A LOT for Clark. A late first and a future second.
That’s what I just suggested?? Miami’s late 1st + a 2nd or 3rd round pick, either this year or next.

I don’t think it’s too far fetched. Sucks that it’s in the AFC, but as long as they are not in the West, take the best offer.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:26 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Because the backup LT almost got Mahomes killed this season. They would have to magically find one hell of a replacement to dump Fisher at this moment.
Any interest in this guy?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/12...-next-contract
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:27 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I like Rankin and Wiz. I could be mistaken but I thought Erving was serviceable as a guard. He just sucks at LT.

What is LDT's cap hit?
We would save 5 mil by cutting him. He has a cap hit of 8.5 mil
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:28 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I could actually see the NY Giants being a great trade partner for both Watkins and Jones if we go that route
The Giants have their own DT to pay in Leonard Williams.
[Reply]
notorious 11:29 AM 02-10-2020
Tag and try to trade Jones.

Every team that has turned dynasty moves their expensive players, drafts well and changes their strengths as the team evolves.

Tying that much cap into Jones isn't a great idea. I love him, but take the emotion out of it.

Besides, he peaked at the perfect time, and we can get max draft equity out of him.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:29 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Any interest in this guy?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/12...-next-contract
Can’t afford him.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:31 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
As great as Mahomes is he needs to a good team around him

Mahomes $Rich + Good Team = Great Team (Patriots)

Mahomes $Super Rich + Mediocre Team = Good Team (Seattle)
Eh, I don't think Andy will be stupid enough to chain his franchise up to a run first team like Pete has done in Seattle.

Patrick gets whatever he wants, it'll be up to Andy to figure the rest out from there.
[Reply]
wachashi 11:32 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
That’s what I just suggested?? Miami’s late 1st + a 2nd or 3rd round pick, either this year or next.

I don’t think it’s too far fetched. Sucks that it’s in the AFC, but as long as they are not in the West, take the best offer.
Ok, I could see that happening. A future pick is valued a full-round behind a current pick, so it's a big difference.

There were rumors last week they were shopping him via tag/trade to NFC contenders.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 38
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up