ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 38
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
RunKC 10:36 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Fisher to count $15,231,666 on the Cap.

Cam Erving - $4,681,668

LDT - $9,000,000

Reiter - $3,758,334

That is a lot of money for mediocre talent that have a long injury history.
You would think watching the offense struggle without Fisher would be proof enough. You don’t cut him. He’s too valuable.

And replacing him with be damn hard. A decent LT like Fisher is not easy to find.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 10:37 AM 02-10-2020
I don't think Chris Jones cares at this point. He came back for the playoffs and made a difference on the way to being apart of a Super Bowl winning team. A huge payday is looming for him regardless of where it is, his check is signed.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:37 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
That won’t happen. It’s too obvious, players union will lose their shit
They’ve allowed Brady to do that for years.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:38 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
They’ve allowed Brady to do that for years.
This is true... idk, not sure how it all works as far as if they can prevent it
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:39 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Fisher to count $15,231,666 on the Cap.

Cam Erving - $4,681,668

LDT - $9,000,000

Reiter - $3,758,334

That is a lot of money for mediocre talent that have a long injury history.
Yet, when they were injured, we saw how important they were with the alternatives we had. That was a rough stretch when an injured Mahomes was playing behind a juco o-line.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 10:40 AM 02-10-2020
The NFLPA may not let that happen. I’m not sure how much power they hold with that stuff but I can’t see it being less than $35M.
Then the NFLPA is stupid. Wait. Of course they are. They're too dumb to realize that quarterbacks getting 18-29% of the cap doesn't help anyone but quarterbacks and it hurts everyone else. It's not the Chiefs are going to spend less of the cap if Mahomes takes less. The players are still getting their $200 or so million. But the other 52 will only get a piece of $160 million instey of a piece of $175 million. I don't understand why the NFLPA can't see that. They should want quarterback salaries to stay reasonable. Besides, if Mahomes takes $125 million or $200 million, he will still have earned more money in that one contract than he could possibly ever spend. What's the point of any of it after that point?
[Reply]
nychief 10:41 AM 02-10-2020
I think Fisher will be renegotiated and extended... LDT and Reiter are possible cuts. I think we'll draft some Linemen early this season.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:42 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
Then the NFLPA is stupid. Wait. Of course they are. They're too dumb to realize that quarterbacks getting 18-29% of the cap doesn't help anyone but quarterbacks and it hurts everyone else. It's not the Chiefs are going to spend less of the cap if Mahomes takes less. The players are still getting their $200 or so million. But the other 52 will only get a piece of $160 million instey of a piece of $175 million. I don't understand why the NFLPA can't see that. They should want quarterback salaries to stay reasonable. Besides, if Mahomes takes $125 million or $200 million, he will still have earned more money in that one contract than he could possibly ever spend. What's the point of any of it after that point?
You won’t hear any rebuttal from me on that, it makes sense. I just know that’s how that stuff works.

If Mahomes sells it as “I just want my teammates to make more”, then it may work in that way.
[Reply]
Danguardace 10:43 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Yet, when they were injured, we saw how important they were with the alternatives we had. That was a rough stretch when an injured Mahomes was playing behind a juco o-line.

As great as Mahomes is he needs to a good team around him

Mahomes $Rich + Good Team = Great Team (Patriots)

Mahomes $Super Rich + Mediocre Team = Good Team (Seattle)
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:43 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by nychief:
I think Fisher will be renegotiated and extended... LDT and Reiter are possible cuts. I think we'll draft some Linemen early this season.
Fisher is a good tackle but can be upgraded if they try over the next couple years in spots. I’d rather draft a tackle in the next couple years than extend him.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:44 AM 02-10-2020
Aaron Donald is getting $22.5 million a year. I don’t see Jones as worth that much. Fletcher Cox is getting $17.1 per year. I’d give Jones $18-18.5 a season.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 10:45 AM 02-10-2020
You won’t hear any rebuttal from me on that, it makes sense. I just know that’s how that stuff works.

If Mahomes sells it as “I just want my teammates to make more”, then it may work in that way.
I agree. And I wasn't arguing with you, if you took it that way. I was about to post that anyway, your post just hit the subject first, so I replied to it.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:46 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Aaron Donald is getting $22.5 million a year. I don’t see Jones as worth that much. Fletcher Cox is getting $17.1 per year. I’d give Jones $18-18.5 a season.
On the open market Jones may get more though...
[Reply]
bsp4444 10:47 AM 02-10-2020
Say Mahomes takes $37-38M per here in a couple months. If he beats Dak and Prescott, it’ll be a bargain in no time. They’ll get more.

Those two are probably just going to wait it out for Patrick and if you want money, then you should.
Dak AND Prescott? Both of them? You don’t say...:-)
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:47 AM 02-10-2020
Players like Chris Jones do not hit the open market when they are in their prime.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 38
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up