ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 38
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
notorious 10:22 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
It will be nice when Berry is finally off the books. What a terrible deal that was.

LDT and Fisher are way overpaid for what we got in return. I would like the CHiefs to address the Oline in the draft and get some fresh studs on the line.
Berry is still hurting our cap.

God Damn what an abomination.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:25 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Eisen also said Jones will take a hometown discount to stay in KC.

A semi reliable person told me a few days ago that Mahomes will do the same and that the players know it and others might follow suit to stay in KC.

Hopefully, it’s true. He’s fed me a few bits of legit info in the past and 100% has connections.
Based on everything I’ve heard publicly and just knowing Mahomes and the competitor that he is, I think he’s going to do KC a solid. And if he wants to be the GOAT one day, he’s gotta do that. He wants it. Idk what that looks like financially, but he wants it.

He will make as much of more off of endorsements at this point being the face of American sports. It’ll be nothing to him if it means more rings.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:27 AM 02-10-2020
Imagine Mahomes coming out and NOT becoming the highest paid QB in the league. Could you imagine the stories and backlash about how he’s stupid and not maximizing his value?
[Reply]
Danguardace 10:27 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Based on everything I’ve heard publicly and just knowing Mahomes and the competitor that he is, I think he’s going to do KC a solid. And if he wants to be the GOAT one day, he’s gotta do that. He wants it. Idk what that looks like financially, but he wants it.

He will make as much of more off of endorsements at this point being the face of American sports. It’ll be nothing to him if it means more rings.
Also if has good players around him O-line/WR/RB he is going to play for possibly another 13-14 years maybe more. It's not like he is Chris Jones he might only have 4-5 years left making top end money
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:27 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Berry is still hurting our cap.

God Damn what an abomination.
8 million bucks. His spirit still lingers.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:29 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Imagine Mahomes coming out and NOT becoming the highest paid QB in the league. Could you imagine the stories and backlash about how he’s stupid and not maximizing his value?
The NFLPA may not let that happen. I’m not sure how much power they hold with that stuff but I can’t see it being less than $35M.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:30 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
There have been a bunch of people on TV saying he should give a discount if he wants to keep winning. Where he would potentially get some backlash is from the players union, agents, etc. Dak Prescott and Deshaun Watson will be pretty mad if Mahomes does that, lol
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:30 AM 02-10-2020
Nfl Insider Jeremy Fowler said that Mahomes will take around 37-38 mil a year not the full 40
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:31 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
The NFLPA may not let that happen. I’m not sure how much power they hold with that stuff but I can’t see it being less than $35M.
Originally Posted by DRM08:
There have been a bunch of people on TV saying he should give a discount if he wants to keep winning. Where he would potentially get some backlash is from the players union, agents, etc. Dak Prescott and Deshaun Watson will be pretty mad if Mahomes does that, lol
Watch our QB be the one to stall the QB market. He takes $35 million and then other teams are asking why their QBs should get paid more than Mahomes who’s obviously better than they are. :-)
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:32 AM 02-10-2020
Fisher to count $15,231,666 on the Cap.

Cam Erving - $4,681,668

LDT - $9,000,000

Reiter - $3,758,334

That is a lot of money for mediocre talent that have a long injury history.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:33 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Nfl Insider Jeremy Fowler said that Mahomes will take around 37-38 mil a year not the full 40
That makes sense from a discount perspective... although $35M would be sweet
[Reply]
Danguardace 10:33 AM 02-10-2020
Seriously how the F**K did Jared Goff get that contract.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:34 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
That’s not really a discount. Granted, I think he is worth 50+ to the Chiefs. But would need to be around 25-28 for the discount to be really helpful for KC.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:35 AM 02-10-2020
Say Mahomes takes $37-38M per here in a couple months. If he beats Dak and Prescott, it’ll be a bargain in no time. They’ll get more.

Those two are probably just going to wait it out for Patrick and if you want money, then you should.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:35 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
That’s not really a discount. Granted, I think he is worth 50+ to the Chiefs. But would need to be around 25-28 for the discount to be really helpful for KC.
That won’t happen. It’s too obvious, players union will lose their shit
[Reply]
Page 3 of 38
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up