ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 38
« First < 182425262728 29303132 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
Hoover 12:45 PM 02-17-2020
This old - so maybe it is no longer valid.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Projected compensatory pick: Round 4.
Key free-agent losses: Mitch Morse (Bills); Steven Nelson (Steelers); Chris Conley (Jaguars).
Key free-agent additions: Tyrann Mathieu (Texans); Alex Okafor (Saints).
Comp-pick analysis: The Chiefs lost five qualifiers and gained four, with Mitch Morse and Tyrann Mathieu as the top free agents from each column who will cancel each other out. While this pick could end up being a fifth-rounder, a fourth-round comp pick is still the favorite to head Kansas City's way following the departure of cornerback Steven Nelson.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:45 PM 02-17-2020
Hmmm

Just had fun at Over The Cap for #Chiefs fans.

Extended Fuller, Wiz, Sherman, Pennel and Ragland. Signed Jones for an identical deal to Frank Clark and extended Mahomes at five years and $200M.

Made a few expected cuts.

KC had $12.8M left. $25M the following year. https://t.co/M32ePfduIT

— Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) February 17, 2020

[Reply]
Hoover 12:46 PM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And not once did I say that I would sign him to a new deal after 2020. I’m just wondering if he’d show up to play under the tag.
Thats fine, my point all along is that this team needs the draft picks more than anything. Build that roster.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:50 PM 02-17-2020
There are going to be solid veterans available after cuts as well. See who wants a ring next year.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 12:50 PM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Hmmm

Always ways around the cap.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:52 PM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Thats fine, my point all along is that this team needs the draft picks more than anything. Build that roster.
Not if they keep drafting and finding players like they have been from the draft pool.

2018-Ward, Nnandi, Neimman (ST’s)
2019-Hardman, Thornhill, Saunders, Fenton, Thompson, possibly Allegretti (tbd)

The draft this year did wonders for this team.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:57 PM 02-17-2020
Veach’s plan is to probably add a couple more years to key players like Kelce and Mathieu to create cap space.

Also has the option of doing base salary converted to signing bonuses for guys like Frank Clark next year. I bet Pat will do this at some point during his new deal.

The Chiefs did base salary-to-signing bonus conversions for LB Anthony Hitchens & OT Eric Fisher, creating close to $10.6M in cap space for 2019. Accounting for these and Tyreek Hill’s extension, KC remains in solid cap position.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) September 10, 2019

[Reply]
The Franchise 12:58 PM 02-17-2020
Hmmm

That’s losing Wilson.

I’d rather restructure Fisher’s contract and keep Wilson.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:01 PM 02-17-2020
Not if they keep drafting and finding players like they have been from the draft pool.

2018-Ward, Nnandi, Neimman (ST’s)
2019-Hardman, Thornhill, Saunders, Fenton, Thompson, possibly Allegretti (tbd)

The draft this year did wonders for this team.
I think the problem is that there are some real problem areas on the roster.

Cornerback: We lucked out last season with Breeland, now he needs a legit deal or we have to draft his replacement. Fuller is also a FA, regardless of how he was used it's a starter we have to either pay or replace.

Interior Offensive Line: Its a mess, and has been a mess for a while now. Guard play sucks. Our OTs are solid but only under contract for two more seasons, we have to start rebuilding the line now.

Both those positions deserve major investment in draft capital, so yeah we can find both in the lower rounds of the draft, but with a super bowl contender we need to spend some top picks at these positions.

and we have not talked about the LB position yet....
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:10 PM 02-17-2020
Veach’s plan is to probably add a couple more years to key players like Kelce and Mathieu to create cap space.

Also has the option of doing base salary converted to signing bonuses for guys like Frank Clark next year. I bet Pat will do this at some point during his new deal.

That’s where you can really create some money. Kelce and HB extensions alone could make $10-15M in 2020 space.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 02:19 PM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
That’s where you can really create some money. Kelce and HB extensions alone could make $10-15M in 2020 space.
Why should we extend HB or Clark, which someone else mentioned? They were just signed last year. That seems pretty dumb.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:27 PM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Why should we extend HB or Clark, which someone else mentioned? They were just signed last year. That seems pretty dumb.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
No one said to extend Clark.

You extend HB because he’s on year 2 of his 3 year deal and he’s proven that we need to keep him for longer. Plus it lowers his cap hit this year and gives us more room.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:30 PM 02-17-2020
Kelce and Fisher would both sign extensions that have them finish their careers in KC and save us 10-15m in cap space for 2019.

Probably smart to wait till next offseason to extend Badger and save real $.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:38 PM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
No one said to extend Clark.

You extend HB because he’s on year 2 of his 3 year deal and he’s proven that we need to keep him for longer. Plus it lowers his cap hit this year and gives us more room.
That...
[Reply]
RockChalk 02:52 PM 02-17-2020
You got a source? Not asking for who, but the stuff you’ve put out there is pretty detailed for any ol’ CPer to have.
Yes, I have a source. They are pretty tied into the Chiefs and KU.

Doesn't mean that they'll absolutely end up tagging and trading him, but that is their goal right now.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 38
« First < 182425262728 29303132 > Last »
Up