ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 104 of 324
« First < 45494100101102103104 105106107108114154204 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:39 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I’m only saying tag and trade if it’s possible. If not, you let him walk.
Yeah, I get that.

I'm just saying there's a lot of people here saying the he had 13 sacks and you don't let that get away for any reason. Like the defense is going to collapse without him.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 11:00 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
The Chiefs think they're close because of their offense, and they're right.

There's nobody on that defense that's untouchable other than Jones.

We need to start thinking like the Patriots do.
This is entirely correct with the caveat that such practices almost demand that you have at least one Super Bowl under your belt to successfully implement them.

I don't have to tell you that players are cutting deals with BB under the assumption that their chances of competing in and winning a championship are far greater playing with NE than taking high dollar contracts in Detroit and Tampa Bay.

And in fact, certain FA's might deem their value even greater than market if they feel that their services may be key in getting the Chiefs "over the hump", so to speak. But again, I contend that what the Chiefs need are solid players with experience and discipline who won't LOSE a game for you, and whom you augment with whatever high-caliber players you can draft and develop as well as FA's who are amenable to working with your cap situation in exchange for the chance to compete on an ascending team.
[Reply]
mcaj22 11:20 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Which is why nobody is talking about a long term deal.

It’s tag and trade or tag and take advantage of him playing his ass off for a contract again then tag and trade next year (or let him walk for a comp pick).
I think its been dissected around here but tagging Ford isnt an option if the Chiefs want to do anything else this offseason.
[Reply]
Warpaint69 11:25 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
I think its been dissected around here but tagging Ford isnt an option if the Chiefs want to do anything else this offseason.
While true, there’s some guys that could/need to take pay cuts.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:38 AM 01-30-2019
The problem with tagging Ford is that, once he signs, you lose $14M in cap space. Now you HAVE to trade him or sign a new contract to free that up. Once that tender is signed, that amount is fully guaranteed and counts against the cap.

I've said this before, but if I am Veach, priority #1 for me to get Houston's agent on the phone and try to work out a three year extension (that will inevitably go to four years), where we can convert his $21M salary to a signing bonus this year and bring his cap number down to the $12-$14M range, never spiking above that.

As soon as I hang up the phone, I am calling John Dorsey. For the low low price of a second round pick and a new contract, you could pair Ford with Garrett and wreck the AFC North quarterback gauntlet.

Houston savings: $7-9M
Ford savings: $14M

Total cap space after these two moves: $53-$55M

Sign Tyreek Hill to his monster contract.

And then I'm going to suggest something that everyone will hate... you wait to sign Chris Jones. He's going into the last year of his contract. Let him play even bigger in the 4-3 and "prove it." If he destroys worlds, then great - you now have to pay him an assload. But frankly I would be wary about paying him before you know that he meshes with the new defense.

Worst case scenario - he sucks and you don't have to pay him.

Second worst case scenario - he destroys and you have to pay him Aaron Donald money or let him walk. Then you are back in the same situation as Ford. You tag him, look for a trade partner, or then let him walk, take your comp pick, and hope you can draft good players to come up behind and take his place for cheap.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:43 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
The problem with tagging Ford is that, once he signs, you lose $14M in cap space. Now you HAVE to trade him or sign a new contract to free that up. Once that tender is signed, that amount is fully guaranteed and counts against the cap.

I've said this before, but if I am Veach, priority #1 for me to get Houston's agent on the phone and try to work out a three year extension (that will inevitably go to four years), where we can convert his $21M salary to a signing bonus this year and bring his cap number down to the $12-$14M range, never spiking above that.

As soon as I hang up the phone, I am calling John Dorsey. For the low low price of a second round pick and a new contract, you could pair Ford with Garrett and wreck the AFC North quarterback gauntlet.

Houston savings: $7-9M
Ford savings: $14M

Total cap space after these two moves: $53-$55M

Sign Tyreek Hill to his monster contract.

And then I'm going to suggest something that everyone will hate... you wait to sign Chris Jones. He's going into the last year of his contract. Let him play even bigger in the 4-3 and "prove it." If he destroys worlds, then great - you now have to pay him an assload. But frankly I would be wary about paying him before you know that he meshes with the new defense.

Worst case scenario - he sucks and you don't have to pay him.

Second worst case scenario - he destroys and you have to pay him Aaron Donald money or let him walk. Then you are back in the same situation as Ford. You tag him, look for a trade partner, or then let him walk, take your comp pick, and hope you can draft good players to come up behind and take his place for cheap.
I got no problem with any of this. I would PREFER to sign Jones but I don't HATE the though of letting it wait.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:49 AM 01-30-2019
During the season, I was 100% on board with letting Ford walk.

He played better, then I was fine with him playing on the tag for a year.

Now the obvious answer is to tag and trade him. It doesn't make much sense to let him play on the 1-year tag, and I do NOT want to extend that injured piece of crap for the money he thinks he should get.

I kind of just want him off the team at this point. He's a very good player, but this contract bullshit is too much of a headache, and he's at best #3 on the priority list for getting extensions done.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:50 AM 01-30-2019
Bold prediction: Chiefs won't be trading for any players. Only trading Ford away.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:52 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Bold prediction: Chiefs won't be trading for any players. Only trading Ford away.
And I'm honestly ok with that. This team needs a fucking HUGE influx of young talent and depth. While it would be nice to trade for an already established young CB....it might not be feasible at this point.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:57 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And I'm honestly ok with that. This team needs a fucking HUGE influx of young talent and depth. While it would be nice to trade for an already established young CB....it might not be feasible at this point.
Better clarify. Any star players. Reclamation projects are probably likely.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:58 AM 01-30-2019
Just in FA? I think we are for sure trading in the draft.

Can also see Veach trying to do more Cam Erving, Reggie Ragland type trades.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 11:59 AM 01-30-2019
No way should Ford stay on this team. He's a very incomplete player. Houston can leave with his big contract as well. We need a new look and fresh legs.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:59 AM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Just in FA? I think we are for sure trading in the draft.

Can also see Veach trying to do more Cam Erving, Reggie Ragland type trades.
Right.

He's just predicting there won't be any Hitchens/Watkins deals this offseason like there was last.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:01 PM 01-30-2019
Better clarify. Any star players. Reclamation projects are probably likely.
This.

Veach has clearly demonstrated his modus operandi as a GM. Find highly touted, disappointing players from lesser organizations and trust in superior coaching to get them up to their potential.

Cam Erving, Reggie Ragland, Kelvin Benjamin -- expect more lottery tickets to be purchased for 5-7th rounders. One could even throw Sammie Watkins in there.

Watch KC go for Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard for pennies.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:03 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
This.

Veach has clearly demonstrated his modus operandi as a GM. Find highly touted, disappointing players from lesser organizations and trust in superior coaching to get them up to their potential.

Cam Erving, Reggie Ragland, Kelvin Benjamin -- expect more lottery tickets to be purchased for 5-7th rounders.
Charvarious Ward, Lordan Lucas
[Reply]
Page 104 of 324
« First < 45494100101102103104 105106107108114154204 > Last »
Up