ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 221 of 3903
« First < 121171211217218219220221 2222232242252312713217211221 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SupDock 02:46 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Deborah Blix is a doctor who works on the President’s coronavirus response team. She’s the person who said the things Katie Pavlich is talking about.
I would be interested to see the exact quote and the context. A Google search revealed nothing
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 02:47 PM 03-13-2020
Deborah Blix is a doctor who works on the President’s coronavirus response team. She’s the person who said the things Katie Pavlich is talking about.
You can’t fix hysterical and stupid and it’s everywhere in here.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 02:47 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I would be interested to see the exact quote and the context. A Google search revealed nothing
It just happened at the press conference lol
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:48 PM 03-13-2020
Sure, but what is her point?

Is she saying we shouldn't worry because the positive rate is so low?

This depends a lot on their testing strategy. My understanding is they were testing a lot of asymptomatic people who had contacted patients. The more patients you test with mild symptoms the more your positive rate will decrease

The point was repeated a few times. They are trying to encourage people to not take the tests without a directive to do so because if even they feel bad chances are they don’t have it and are taking away tests and eating resources that could be better suited for the more severe cases.
[Reply]
patteeu 02:48 PM 03-13-2020
Sure, but what is her point?

Is she saying we shouldn't worry because the positive rate is so low?

This depends a lot on their testing strategy. My understanding is they were testing a lot of asymptomatic people who had contacted patients. The more patients you test with mild symptoms the more your positive rate will decrease
I suspect it was meant to reassure people who are currently sick and worried about being infected with this virus but who haven’t been within the testing criteria by saying that the SK experience was that the vast majority experiencing symptoms are sick with the common cold or flu rather than covid19.

But my point was simply that the tweeter/blogger isn’t saying these things, she’s reporting what the doctor said.
[Reply]
patteeu 02:51 PM 03-13-2020
The press conference just ended.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:51 PM 03-13-2020
I suspect it was meant to reassure people who are currently sick and worried about being infected with this virus but who haven’t been within the testing criteria by saying that the SK experience was that the vast majority experiencing symptoms are sick with the common cold or flu rather than covid19.
Which.. I don't really understand publicizing that figure.

Stick to "if you feel ill, stay at home unless your symptoms get worse."
[Reply]
SupDock 02:53 PM 03-13-2020
The press conference just ended.
I realize the conference was ongoing, but sometimes tweets with exact quotes appear quickly. My son was taking a nap so I was unable to watch
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:54 PM 03-13-2020

But my point was simply that the tweeter/blogger isn’t saying these things, she’s reporting what the doctor said.
Yeah, I thought it was a good point in the press conference. It's cold and flu season, and everyone with the sniffles is justifiably wondering if they have something that could be serious. South Korea's numbers imply that even if you're sick, 24 out of 25 are just down with normal stuff. It's a good perspective to keep in mind.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:54 PM 03-13-2020
She’s a doctor on a coronavirus task force.
The blogger is not
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:55 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It’s also why crying about more testing for anyone that wants it is largely pointless. What they announced today with an online guideline and where you can get the tests will hopefully mitigate the amount of people taking the test assuming it is clear in what and what doesn’t require a test.
No one is crying about "more" testing.

People are upset because of the lack of tests available.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:56 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
The point was repeated a few times. They are trying to encourage people to not take the tests without a directive to do so because if even they feel bad chances are they don’t have it and are taking away tests and eating resources that could be better suited for the more severe cases.
There have been lots of reports of doctors requesting tests and they can't get them so more likely they are trying to cover their ass because they don't have enough tests and won't anytime soon. South Korea and other nations are kicking our ass in regards to testing.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:56 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, I thought it was a good point in the press conference. It's cold and flu season, and everyone with the sniffles is justifiably wondering if they have something that could be serious. South Korea's numbers imply that even if you're sick, 24 out of 25 are just down with normal stuff. It's a good perspective to keep in mind.
I do hope that we can get the tests out widely soon, regardless. I've had a cold for a couple of weeks, and while I'm 99.9% sure that's all it is, it's a bit disconcerting to think of the remote chance that I had covid when attending a funeral where my grandfather with severe respiratory issues was present.
[Reply]
SupDock 02:56 PM 03-13-2020

Correct, but it's not like she just put up quotations with exactly what the physician said. She mentioned things like " don't panic"

I was trying to determine what exactly the words were that the physician used, versus the reporters interpretation and comments
[Reply]
SupDock 02:58 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
This again depends on the testing strategy of South Korea

If they are testing thousands of asymptomatic people, it's not so clear what to do with this data

It's difficult to compare positive rates in countries with very different testing strategies
[Reply]
Page 221 of 3903
« First < 121171211217218219220221 2222232242252312713217211221 > Last »
Up