ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Media Center>Black Panther
thabear04 09:50 PM 06-09-2017

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:34 PM 02-23-2018
The Marvel ‘brand’ is so strong right now. They could make a movie about two superhero powered kittens and open it to $100 million. That’s how strong their brand is right now.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:30 AM 02-24-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
As opposed to those who give it a 5* rating without actually having seen it or simply because of the cast.
If there were as many people doing that as there were alt-right racist trolls trying to systematically bring its score down, it would even out. There aren't.

Originally Posted by :
I saw it last night and really enjoyed it, but it's not even close to the top MCU movie.
Having seen it, I'd have to disagree. Only GoTG #1 is even close to it for me.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:16 AM 02-24-2018
Top 5 for me but Winter Soldier and Civil War(which should of been Avengers 2) still hold the top 2 spots.
[Reply]
SAGA45 01:42 PM 02-24-2018
Something I caught right away in the film that was pretty cool:

Spoiler!

I personally found that to be pretty awesome!
[Reply]
listopencil 11:18 PM 02-24-2018
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
Something I caught right away in the film that was pretty cool:

Spoiler!

I personally found that to be pretty awesome!
Pretty sweet. My nickname at work was Shaka Zulu for a few years.
[Reply]
Hawk 09:19 AM 02-26-2018
I saw it this weekend, it was very good. I'd still put GotG, Deadpool, and a few others above it in terms of my favorites, but it was another excellent installment by Marvel.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:35 PM 02-26-2018
$700 million in 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Fish 12:10 AM 03-03-2018
Finally saw this. I thought it was a underwhelming. Not bad, just not what I was expecting especially after reading the reviews here.

Originally Posted by :
I thought Black Panther seemed a little weak in his ritual fights. Especially the one against Killmonger. Which seemed in contrast to his other fights. They didn't really explain much at all about his panther powers. Most of the focus was on his suit. I remember a ton of mystical type stuff that they didn't touch on at all. Seemed off from what I knew of Black Panther in the comics. Klaue had some cool screen time, but died quickly and uneventfully. Wakanda society seemed really odd to me as well. You've got the most advanced tech in the world, with seemingly limitless energy. Yet their society is still dependent on the same tribal ritual system that allows for control of Wakanda to be taken in a one-on-one fight? Killmonger immediately changes their society from isolationism to global domination, and everybody's just like "Welp, guess we'll do that instead.?" Just didn't really seem believable to me.

[Reply]
listopencil 08:22 AM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
Finally saw this. I thought it was a underwhelming. Not bad, just not what I was expecting especially after reading the reviews here.

I thought Black Panther seemed a little weak in his ritual fights. Especially the one against Killmonger. Which seemed in contrast to his other fights. They didn't really explain much at all about his panther powers. Most of the focus was on his suit. I remember a ton of mystical type stuff that they didn't touch on at all. Seemed off from what I knew of Black Panther in the comics. Klaue had some cool screen time, but died quickly and uneventfully. Wakanda society seemed really odd to me as well. You've got the most advanced tech in the world, with seemingly limitless energy. Yet their society is still dependent on the same tribal ritual system that allows for control of Wakanda to be taken in a one-on-one fight? Killmonger immediately changes their society from isolationism to global domination, and everybody's just like "Welp, guess we'll do that instead.?" Just didn't really seem believable to me.
I disagree with that interpretation. This was an origin story so I expected him to be a bit weak. I would have liked to see some cool mystical stuff in this one but I don't think it was necessary for the plot. That first fight he was fighting for a tie and his adversary was fighting to the death. That first fight against Killmonger, I expected Killmonger to beat his ass. He's nowhere near as 'hard' as Killmonger was. And he didn't have to accept Killmonger's challenge. I'd say accepting it showed a character flaw; arrogance. And not everyone just went along with the outcome. That particular conflict was one of the pivotal chunks of the movie's plot.
[Reply]
NewChief 08:48 AM 03-03-2018
As for his ability (or lack of) in the ritual fights, I think that can pretty easily be explained by him having the black panther power stripped from him just prior to the fight. If you're used to fighting all juiced up, it's got to be difficult to then fight without the juice and would take some time to get accustomed to it.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:33 PM 03-03-2018
I liked it. Thought it was good to very good, but not in the top tier of Marvel films. Had some good chuckles spread out and good action. I thought Michael B. Jordan was great as Killmonger. It WAS a beautifully shot movie, though.

And I agree with NewChief and listo - T'Challa was just coming into his Black Panther abilities and was still mastering it, as it were. We'll see the badass he can be in Infinity War.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 03:12 PM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I disagree with that interpretation. This was an origin story so I expected him to be a bit weak. I would have liked to see some cool mystical stuff in this one but I don't think it was necessary for the plot. That first fight he was fighting for a tie and his adversary was fighting to the death. That first fight against Killmonger, I expected Killmonger to beat his ass. He's nowhere near as 'hard' as Killmonger was. And he didn't have to accept Killmonger's challenge. I'd say accepting it showed a character flaw; arrogance. And not everyone just went along with the outcome. That particular conflict was one of the pivotal chunks of the movie's plot.

IMO, it wasn't arrogance but guilt. Thus, he was holding back slightly which is reinforced when he confronted his father concerning T'Chakka killing his brother and leaving Killmonger.
[Reply]
Passepartout 04:13 PM 03-03-2018
It is likely that it will pass $1B this weekend and looking at #1 for a third straight week.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:30 PM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
IMO, it wasn't arrogance but guilt. Thus, he was holding back slightly which is reinforced when he confronted his father concerning T'Chakka killing his brother and leaving Killmonger.
Yeah. Could be. It was a pretty complicated situation. I think anyone would be a bit messed up by it.

Upon Edit: When you can have reasonable discussions about character motivations in a movie like this, that's one sign of a good movie IMO.
[Reply]
Hawk 01:32 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by NewChief:
As for his ability (or lack of) in the ritual fights, I think that can pretty easily be explained by him having the black panther power stripped from him just prior to the fight. If you're used to fighting all juiced up, it's got to be difficult to then fight without the juice and would take some time to get accustomed to it.
Yeah, I interpreted it that way too. They made a specific point of having him drink the liquid to remove his black panther powers just before each ritual fight so they would be fair fights. Without his special black panther powers, he's just a normal guy, and Killmonger was bigger and stronger than him in that scenario. His only hope was to be a superior fighter, but Killmonger got the better of him as Killmonger had only ever fought that way (without powers). Of course when they both had black panther powers in the final scene
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Up