ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1370 of 3903
« First < 37087012701320136013661367136813691370 137113721373137413801420147018702370 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dlphg9 01:50 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I am not in the everything is over let's open everything up camp, but I think it would be ok to start slowly experimenting a little.

For instance trying to get the K through 6 grade opened back up. This age group probably isn't doing great online and it is hard on parents regarding the child care.

Since kids don't appear to be ending up in hospitals that often I think you could choose a handful of schools and give those parents and teachers the option of going back.

If you started small you could test like crazy for the virus and see how it goes.

I don't think opening all the schools all at once would be a good idea.
Thats just not a smart idea. Kids will spread this shit like wildfire. I honestly could see schools being closed for pretty much all of next year as well.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:09 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Thats just not a smart idea. Kids will spread this shit like wildfire. I honestly could see schools being closed for pretty much all of next year as well.
Yeah kids are not renowned for their hand hygiene , I wouldn't want to guess and a potential return date .
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:14 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Parents everywhere just cringed.
[Reply]
Monticore 06:46 AM 04-14-2020
another article regarding the possible reactivation/reinfection in south Korea.

https://nationalpost.com/health/can-...bout-the-virus
[Reply]
petegz28 07:03 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Parents everywhere just cringed.
Schools are not going to be closed next year. They have already stated as much.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:05 AM 04-14-2020
Interesting read on how doctors in NY are figuring out the best ways to treat COVID Patients.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/n...e=articleShare

Originally Posted by :
Breathing Room

“Never in my life have I had to ask a patient to get off the telephone because it was time to put in a breathing tube,” said Dr. Richard Levitan, who recently spent 10 days at Bellevue Hospital Center in Manhattan.
Why is this so odd? People who need breathing tubes, which connect to mechanical ventilators that assist or take over respiration, are rarely in any shape to be on the phone because the level of oxygen in their blood has declined precipitously.

If conscious, they are often incoherent and are about to be sedated so they do not gag on the tubes. It is a drastic step.

Yet many Covid-19 patients remain alert, even when their oxygen has sharply fallen, for reasons health care workers can only guess. (Another important signal about how sick the patients are from Covid-19 — the presence of inflammatory markers in the blood — is not available to physicians until laboratory work is done.)

Some patients, by taking oxygen and rolling onto their sides or on their bellies, have quickly returned to normal levels. The tactic is called proning.

At Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, Dr. Nicholas Caputo followed 50 patients who arrived with low oxygen levels between 69 and 85 percent (95 is normal). After five minutes of proning, they had improved to a mean of 94 percent. Over the next 24 hours, nearly three-quarters were able to avoid intubation; 13 needed ventilators. Proning does not seem to work as well in older patients, a number of doctors said.

No one knows yet if this will be a lasting remedy, Dr. Caputo said, but if he could go back to early March, he would advise himself and others: “Don’t jump to intubation.”

The number of intubations in New York State has declined to 21 new ones a day, from about 300 per day at the end of March. The need for
mechanical ventilators, while still urgent, has been less than the medical community anticipated a month ago.

One reason is that contrary to expectations, a number of doctors at New York hospitals believe intubation is helping fewer people with Covid-19 than other respiratory illnesses and that longer stays on the mechanical ventilators lead to other serious complications. The matter is far from settled.

“Intubated patients with Covid lung disease are doing very poorly, and while this may be the disease and not the mechanical ventilation, most of us believe that intubation is to be avoided until unequivocally required,” Dr. Strayer said.

This shift has lightened the load on nursing staffs and the rest of the hospital. “You put a tube into somebody,” Dr. Levitan said, “and the amount of work required not to kill that person goes up by a factor of 100,” creating a cascade that slows down laboratory results, X-rays and other care.

By committing all the resources of the hospital to highly complex care, mass mechanical ventilation of patients forms a medical Maginot line.

For heavier patients, Dr. Levitan advocates combining breathing support from a CPAP machine or regular oxygen with comfortable positioning on a pregnancy massage mattress. He had one shipped to the hotel where he was staying in New York and brought it to Bellevue.

The first patient to rest on it arrived with oxygen saturation in the 40s, breathing rapidly and with an abnormally fast heartbeat, he said. After the patient was given oxygen through a nasal cannula — clear plastic tubes that fit into the nostrils — Dr. Levitan helped her to lay face down on the massage table. The oxygen level in her blood climbed to the mid-90s, he said, her pulse slowed to under 100 and she was breathing at a more normal pace. “She slept for two hours,” he said.

His brothers are donating more mattresses.

“We have to see how it pans out, but it makes a lot of sense,” Dr. Swaminathan said. “Obesity is clearly a critical risk factor.”

[Reply]
petegz28 07:11 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Interesting read on how doctors in NY are figuring out the best ways to treat COVID Patients.

Chris Cuomo has a schpiel on Facebook where he said his doctor told him similar which was don't lay on your back. Lay on your side and as much as it hurts to take deep breaths.
[Reply]
loochy 07:15 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Fucking A guys not everything has to be a never ending round of gotcha

Leave that dumb shit in DC

That's what happens when you gather a group of self appointed experts with small penises.
[Reply]
sedated 07:16 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:

That's some good news. Maybe we'll see a rise in recovery after going to the hospital, because the numbers a couple of weeks ago were much worse than expected.
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 07:19 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It had me convinced because it was a Canadian school then they lost me with the Dentistry.

Canadians don’t lie but when the drug manufacturer is one of the sponsors of the trial one can be somewhat wonder about the results.
This is not atypical at all- there are many guidelines in place to guard against sponsor guidance (or at least over-reach) on industry-sponsored publications, including Good Publication Practices (GPP; v.3) and ICMJE guidelines.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:22 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
That's some good news. Maybe we'll see a rise in recovery after going to the hospital, because the numbers a couple of weeks ago were much worse than expected.
They have been proning patients for a while now so I am unsure if any change in numbers will attributed to that , I hope any reduction we see is because we are on the downside of this thing.

Some of these articles make it seem that these physicians have discovered a medical breakthrough but some of these practices have been in use elsewhere for quit some time.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:24 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels:
This is not atypical at all- there are many guidelines in place to guard against sponsor guidance (or at least over-reach) on industry-sponsored publications, including Good Publication Practices (GPP; v.3) and ICMJE guidelines.
Good to know . They should throw that info into the article as well.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:28 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Schools are not going to be closed next year. They have already stated as much.
Yeah, there will be sports in some form this summer and school in the fall.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:30 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Yeah, there will be sports in some form this summer and school in the fall.
Bubble Soccer for the win.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:32 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Bubble Soccer for the win.
How about some WWE?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html
[Reply]
Page 1370 of 3903
« First < 37087012701320136013661367136813691370 137113721373137413801420147018702370 > Last »
Up