ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 203 of 662
« First < 103153193199200201202203 204205206207213253303 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***The Official MMA Thread***
KcMizzou 08:18 PM 07-08-2010
Excited about an upcoming fight? Want to make predictions, or just give people a heads-up that there are some fights on? We can do it here.

(Also a good place to complain, dicuss, and agrue about the outcomes)
[Reply]
Sorter 12:40 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I guess I'm talking about more casual fans. People that just want to see a bar room brawl with no appreciation for the technical and strategic aspects of the sport. They view it as if the entire 25 minutes just happened outside the local pub and since Billy Bob had more marks on his face than Johnny Bob he must have lost the fight.
That's fair.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:41 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by alnorth:
Well, it was also the majority opinion by quite a bit. Everyone in the internet media who liveblogged the event gave the round to Hendricks (so no revisionist history going on), and there was apparently only two credentialed members of the media at MGM who gave it to GSP, everyone else at the site saw it the other way.

But yeah, this wasn't like those incredibly bad recent boxing decisions.
That was sort of interesting. I'll have to rewatch it, but I thought I had GSP with 2,3, and 5 with 1 and 2 very close and 4 an obvious Hendrix round and 3,5 obvious GSP rounds.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:43 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Sorter:
That's fair.
Right, and that's more typical I think of a mob mentality. When people watch it together with alcohol involved that kind of thinking takes over where boring ass's like me that watch it at home sober with my wife see it a little different.

I think it was you that raised the point though. Almost all of the 50/50 first rounds end up going to the champ.
[Reply]
raybec 4 12:44 PM 11-18-2013
I think that's plausible to a degree a few years ago but not as likely anymore. The last large organization to score fights like that was Pride and that isn't a factor for most fans (since they've never heard of it).

I think more people were just shocked Johny had such a tremendous fight against GSP and because of that, they consistently viewed things in his favor. I thought Hendricks won but it's a close enough fight that I'm not claiming robbery (see Garcia/Nam, Ninja/Rampage, etc.)
I thought Johny won as well, but I thought Dana being so indignant was legitimate to a point. I think he fears that he gets most of his PPV buys from the casual fan and the sport will head the way of boxing if the questionable decisions keep happening.

Having said that, he will NEVER stop putting shows in Vegas so he needs to stop bitching and start working with the comission to fix it.
[Reply]
9er guy 12:45 PM 11-18-2013
GSP got goons. You gotta knock him out.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:48 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
I thought Johny won as well, but I thought Dana being so indignant was legitimate to a point. I think he fears that he gets most of his PPV buys from the casual fan and the sport will head the way of boxing if the questionable decisions keep happening.

Having said that, he will NEVER stop putting shows in Vegas so he needs to stop bitching and start working with the comission to fix it.
I'm not sure about all of the boxing PPV's, but I know they just set a record. People will always pay and come back no matter how much they bitch.

Dana was ass hurt about GSP talking about taking time off more than anything. I think if GSP has said he wanted a rematch Dana would have let it all drop.
[Reply]
Sorter 12:49 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by raybec 4:

I don't think they will either.

However, that AC will never work well with anyone due to Kizer.
[Reply]
Sorter 12:50 PM 11-18-2013
Right, and that's more typical I think of a mob mentality. When people watch it together with alcohol involved that kind of thinking takes over where boring ass's like me that watch it at home sober with my wife see it a little different.

I think it was you that raised the point though. Almost all of the 50/50 rounds end up going to the champ.
Fixed.

Unless you're Benson Henderson/Frankie Edgar.
[Reply]
chop 12:59 PM 11-18-2013
I went back and listened to a Dana White interview after the fight and I think he was saying that the judges should put more weight on damage inflicted and not just out striking or winning by rounds (at least that is the way I took it). He clearly thought Hendricks won by the amount of damage that was inflicted on GSP and the lack of damage on JH. If the scoring system is based upon the 10 pt round scoring system, I'm not sure how to get around this unless you automatically score the round 10-8 whenever someone inflicts more damage.
[Reply]
Sorter 01:07 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by chop:
I went back and listened to a Dana White interview after the fight and I think he was saying that the judges should put more weight on damage inflicted and not just out striking or winning by rounds (at least that is the way I took it). He clearly thought Hendricks won by the amount of damage that was inflicted on GSP and the lack of damage on JH. If the scoring system is based upon the 10 pt round scoring system, I'm not sure how to get around this unless you automatically score the round 10-8 whenever someone inflicts more damage.
Well, in the rule book, it's scored by "effective striking" which is entirely open to interpretation. Do you score a round for someone who landed a large volume of strikes that didn't inflict much damage or for someone who may have had a low % landed but obviously did damage?

The 10-9 isn't horrible but it is flawed (and I have no idea how you truly fix it or create a perfect scoring system). If judges were more keen to give out 10-8 and 10-7 rounds, it's possible the system could be rectified. However, you then open a whole new can of worms, in that the majority of fights are only 3 rounds. If an opponent gets a 10-8, you're going to have to finish or score your own 10-8 to secure a victory.

Then you factor in that the majority of these judges are coming from boxing and don't understand how kicks or the ground game should be scored. Even when you get guys who have adequate credentials (e.g. Almeida) and understand the sport, you can still be left with undesirable results due to human error (being forced to watch cageside/tiny monitors) and bias.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 01:11 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by chop:
That's tought to call as well. Some guys become a bloody mess easy and faces will appear more damaged than others. Roy Nelson could get hit in the face with a sledge hammer and still look the same.
[Reply]
Katipan 01:53 PM 11-18-2013
What's wrong with the scoring they used in Pride fights over seas?

Originally Posted by :
Decision

If the match goes the distance, then the outcome of the bout is determined by the three judges. A decision is made according to the following: the effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission, damage given to the opponent, standing combinations & ground control, aggressiveness and weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10kg/22lbs or more). The above criteria are listed according to priority. The fight is scored in its entirety and not round by round. After the third round, each judge must decide a winner. Matches cannot end in a draw.

[Reply]
Sorter 01:58 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Katipan:
What's wrong with the scoring they used in Pride fights over seas?
Nothing.

Won't happen in the U.S. though.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 02:20 PM 11-18-2013
Nothing.

Won't happen in the U.S. though.
Man, I must be losing it. I thought there was a 10 minute round followed by a 5 minute round. The rules there talk about 3 rounds. What am I thinking of?
[Reply]
Katipan 02:35 PM 11-18-2013
Man, I must be losing it. I thought there was a 10 minute round followed by a 5 minute round. The rules there talk about 3 rounds. What am I thinking of?
Those are the fun U.S. rounds.
[Reply]
Page 203 of 662
« First < 103153193199200201202203 204205206207213253303 > Last »
Up