ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 62 of 361
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672112162 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:19 PM 02-26-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:

:-)

I'm guessing spacesuits.

[Reply]
DaFace 04:21 PM 02-27-2017
So apparently someone with a fuck ton of money is paying SpaceX to fly them around the moon next year.

http://www.spacex.com/news/2017/02/2...moon-next-year

It'll make for a hell of a story if nothing else.
[Reply]
unlurking 11:01 PM 02-27-2017
And be a kick in the ass to the 2019 SLS/Orion unmanned trip around the moon. Not that I expect SpaceX to be on time, but if they launch a manned mission within months of NASA's unmanned mission? Wow. Can you imagine man's first trip back to the moon being a couple of rich tourists?

Wish I was rich. I'd sign up in a heartbeat.
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:45 AM 02-28-2017
So apparently someone with a **** ton of money is paying SpaceX to fly them around the moon next year.

http://www.spacex.com/news/2017/02/2...moon-next-year

It'll make for a hell of a story if nothing else.
Totally cool. I am very glad to see the beginnings of space tourists is happening. SpaceX is working very hard to get humanity back into space, not just orbiting our little rock.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:51 PM 03-09-2017

Static fire of Falcon 9 just completed. Targeting EchoStar XXIII launch from @NASA's Kennedy Space Center on Mar. 14, early morning EDT. pic.twitter.com/g8moLfwfnP

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) March 9, 2017

[Reply]
DaFace 11:08 AM 03-13-2017
For the night owls tonight/tomorrow morning:

Seems weird to see one without legs. Admittedly, assuming it goes fine, this won't be the most exciting launch to watch.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:37 PM 03-13-2017
Weather is iffy, but as of this moment they're planning to go for it in an hour. 2.5-hour window, so even if it's not there at the beginning, they could possibly postpone.

Don't think I'm staying up if it gets delayed though.

EDIT: Scrubbed for weather. Good night.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:34 PM 03-15-2017
Not sure I'm gonna make it tonight, but in case anyone's a night owl.

All systems go for Falcon 9 launch of @EchoStar XXIII. Liftoff now set for 2:00am EDT, 6:00am UTC. Watch here → https://t.co/gtC39uBC7z pic.twitter.com/lLKF5HEhZB

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) March 16, 2017

[Reply]
aturnis 10:46 PM 03-15-2017
I'll probably watch if I can't sleep.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:04 PM 03-16-2017
The first previously-flown booster is now on the clock. This one I'm excited for. (Glad they didn't blow Echostar up, though.)

SpaceX has March 27 (Window 1658-2058 Eastern) *Range Approved* for the SES-10 launch on the historic Falcon 9R 1021 (re-)launch! pic.twitter.com/HJRzD7sefh

— Chris B - NSF (@NASASpaceflight) March 16, 2017

----

This has since been bumped to March 29th due to a conflicting ULA launch being delayed.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:41 PM 03-16-2017
The first previously-flown booster is now on the clock. This one I'm excited for. (Glad they didn't blow Echostar up, though.)

I watched the replay this morning and was super-unstoked once I found out that they had to burn longer, thus no 1st stage landing. Bummer, but I understand...
[Reply]
DaFace 08:45 PM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I watched the replay this morning and was super-unstoked once I found out that they had to burn longer, thus no 1st stage landing. Bummer, but I understand...
Yeah, certainly wasn't the most exciting launch they've done in a while. Next one should hopefully make up for it though. If they successfully re-launch it and re-land it, it's gonna be a hell of a party in Hawthorne.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:50 PM 03-16-2017
Yeah, certainly wasn't the most exciting launch they've done in a while. Next one should hopefully make up for it though. If they successfully re-launch it and re-land it, it's gonna be a hell of a party in Hawthorne.
I'd love to see #1 what the refit/refurb effort amounts to, and #2 what the criteria is for a go/no-go decision reusing the 1st stage..
[Reply]
DaFace 09:28 PM 03-22-2017
Couple of cool developments this week. First, SpaceX has apparently engineered and produced some sort of crazy robot (being referred to as a giant roomba) called Optimus Prime that will live on the drone ship and automatically go out after a landing to secure the rocket to the ship. According to theory, that will help to eliminate some of the dangerous aspects of securing the ship and hauling it back. There aren't very good pictures out there, but this gives you the idea (more here):

Second, they have
leased a big warehouse at Port Canaveral that they are going to use specifically to refurbish rockets, so they won't have to ship them across the country to clean them up anymore.

Pretty cool to see the effort they're now putting toward IMPROVING the recovery process rather than just landing them in the first place.

First launch of a previously-flown rocket is coming up in a week.

-----

Static fire test complete. Targeting Thursday, March 30 for Falcon 9 launch of SES-10. pic.twitter.com/0tZ7u6gngI

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) March 27, 2017

[Reply]
DaFace 04:38 PM 03-29-2017
24-hour bump. Tomorrow's launch will be historic if nothing goes wrong. If they can successfully launch and re-land this booster for a second time, things are gonna accelerate quickly.
[Reply]
Page 62 of 361
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672112162 > Last »
Up