ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 120 of 270
« First < 2070110116117118119120 121122123124130170220 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***OFFICIAL 2019 Chiefs Training Camp Thread***
RealSNR 02:58 PM 07-23-2019
Tweets from https://twitter.com/RMSWeather/lists/chiefs

In the meantime, this gem from Andy Reid's press conference today:

Andy Reid was asked if he did anything fun or exotic this offseason: “I attacked a couple Chile rellenos.”

— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) July 23, 2019

[Reply]
RunKC 03:12 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
When? Now?

Nope. Even if Jones doesn't get extended, you go for this year.

If you mean via a tag and trade for Jones next season? Totally on board. I would love to see additional draft capital to allow this squad to address the OL and CB situations long-term with higher end prospects.

I think people are sleeping on how tough it's gonna be to keep building this team around the highest paid player in football and the sacrifices that's gonna take. I mean hearing people say "well just extend Watkins then!" tells me they have very little concept of how much that jump from him $5 million in cap charges to $40 million is going to hurt.

I mean if Hill alone were making at his market value, we'd be tight against the cap. And we can make it work with all 3 of them going forward but as I've noted, Veach will be working without a net at that point and without a ton of draft capital to fortify things.

He's gotta be right and he's gotta build almost exclusively around veterans on 1-year 'make good' deals, these Lee/Ragland/Ogbah kind of trades for disappointing young veterans and draft picks. That's doable every now and again but that will be the SOP for the next 3-4 years if you keep all those guys.

If I were in charge I would want to give myself more breathing room, more flexibility and a chance at additional bites at the apple. Extra cap space and draft picks does that.

If you can save yourself $35 million in cap space and effectively trade for an additional day 1 and 2 of the NFL draft, I kinda think that's a slam dunk.
Yeah I agree whole heartedly, which is why I think that we aren’t keeping Chris Jones as much as I really want to.

I think they made their choice with Frank Clark because realistically Clark, Tyreek and Pat will be taking up about roughly 30% of the cap alone in 2020, assuming that Mahomes deal is backloaded. That’s just 3 guys alone. I just don’t see how they can fit Chris Jones in there without completely limiting themselves of any cap space for the next 4 years. I don’t even know if signing a guy like Darron Lee is feasible if he performs. He’ll probably want over $15 million AAV like these other backers are getting.

I’m thinking a purge will be coming next Spring. Sammy, Colquitt, LDT, Sorenson, Jones, etc.

Think we are on the same page. Next year Veach is gonna have to operate like Chris Ballard
[Reply]
Mecca 03:13 PM 08-01-2019
If you buy into Twitter dude who called Watkins signing and the Clark deal he says Hill and Jones deals are both close...
[Reply]
TribalElder 03:13 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
You can’t pay everyone.

Clark 20 million AAV
Tyreek 20 million AAV
Mahomes 40 million AAV (projected/rumored)
Kelce 10 million AAV
Fisher 12 million AAV
Schwartz 10 million AAV
Honey Badger 18 million AAV

And now Chris Jones wants 20 million AAV. Can’t keep all these guys.
can they work something where mahomes annual salary is much lower but he gets a fuckload of money via bonus that doesn't count as hard vs cap?

I don't really know shit about the salary cap or ways to cheat it
[Reply]
Skyy God 03:19 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
can they work something where mahomes annual salary is much lower but he gets a ****load of money via bonus that doesn't count as hard vs cap?

Maybe Saint Patrick will take a team friendly Brady-esque deal.

Give that man an under the table ownership deal, Clark!!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:21 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
can they work something where mahomes annual salary is much lower but he gets a fuckload of money via bonus that doesn't count as hard vs cap?

Only if Mahomes marries Giselle.

No, the NFL is pretty strict about teams openly circumventing the cap. Any bonus you give him will be prorated over the length of the deal (max 5 years) and for QBs, those bonuses have gotten so high that they hurt either way.

You can push the pain for a season with the Dorsey trick of a super low year 1 base and a high bonus, but Steinberg won't let Mahomes sign a contract that doesn't give him the highest AAV, highest guarantees and highest 'paper value' of any QB in football history, nor should he.

And no matter how you structure that one, it's gonna sting in a big way. Best you can do is delay the hurt and all that will do is make it bite more in subsequent years.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:24 PM 08-01-2019
Unless one of them plays out of their minds, I think Breeland and Fuller are both gone. Veach is gonna have to stop fucking around and invest a high pick in the position finally.
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:29 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Here's the deal if you want to be very realistic about this...

Henne, Robinson, Watkins, LDT, Xavier Williams, Darron Lee, Sorenson, Lucas and Colquitt are probably all gone after this year...and one if not both of Fuller and Breeland are out too.

Most of them aren't to hard to replace to be honest, the CB position will require a lot of attention though.
I know I haven't seen the dude play yet, but if he's any good at all, I'd like to see us try to keep Darron Lee. Since the team seems idiotically obsessed with keeping Ragland at Mike instead of moving Hitchens over, I imagine Lee is only going to be rotating in and out depending on the situation. Even if he ends up being listed as a starter, I don't see any reason why you couldn't re-sign Lee for a contract similar to Damien Wilson or even a little higher.

Even if he plays great and tests free agency, teams just aren't going to give him a bonkers deal and end up depending on him as their best LB (ala what we did with Hitchens)

And I also think we should try to keep either Sorensen or Lucas. Sorensen really isn't that expensive going into the final year of his contract in 2020, and if you prefer Lucas, he's going to be even cheaper than Sorensen to re-sign. And that's just so we don't have to spend so much draft stock on the safety position when we JUST got it decently fixed.

We can nibble around the edges like that and still fit all of our guys in as long as we're willing to let a few of the bigger money starters walk.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:33 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Unless one of them plays out of their minds, I think Breeland and Fuller are both gone. Veach is gonna have to stop fucking around and invest a high pick in the position finally.
Playing out of their minds only makes it more likely they end up leaving.

I'd be just fine with average CB play out of either of those dudes and a deal in the 3 year/$18 million range for them. I'd like to bring one of them back for sure.

If they play out of their minds they're getting into the Kyle Fuller level of deal where talking $14 million/season for 4 seasons.

You can't just go gutting significant parts of your defense every season, there has to be at least a little bit of throughput. If they both play out of their minds we go 16-0, walk to a 'ship and whatever will be will be. But if all they do is go give us pretty decent play, then they can either get a deal along the lines of Nelson's deal, which isn't worth the paper it's printed on (it's effectively a 1 year deal worth $9 million, regardless of what the overall value says) or take an 'actually want to play out the duration of the contract' deal with graduate salary increases that will pay them in the 6-7 million per range.
[Reply]
Go Royals 03:42 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Playing out of their minds only makes it more likely they end up leaving.

I'd be just fine with average CB play out of either of those dudes and a deal in the 3 year/$18 million range for them. I'd like to bring one of them back for sure.

If they play out of their minds they're getting into the Kyle Fuller level of deal where talking $14 million/season for 4 seasons.

You can't just go gutting significant parts of your defense every season, there has to be at least a little bit of throughput. If they both play out of their minds we go 16-0, walk to a 'ship and whatever will be will be. But if all they do is go give us pretty decent play, then they can either get a deal along the lines of Nelson's deal, which isn't worth the paper it's printed on (it's effectively a 1 year deal worth $9 million, regardless of what the overall value says) or take an 'actually want to play out the duration of the contract' deal with graduate salary increases that will pay them in the 6-7 million per range.
I'm not sure $6M a year does it for average play nowadays. Shit Steven Nelson just got $8.5M a year from the Squealers
[Reply]
New World Order 03:45 PM 08-01-2019
If they get Jones and Reek deals done, then they should tag Fuller and spend a high pick on a corner.
[Reply]
Kiimo 04:33 PM 08-01-2019
Well we aren't going to HAVE a high pick to spend on corner unless we trade up.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:34 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Well we aren't going to HAVE a high pick to spend on corner unless we trade up.
Even if we’re at 32, it will feel high after our first pick being a late 2nd the last 2 years.
[Reply]
Kiimo 04:43 PM 08-01-2019
I feel like to get a legit corner you need to either get lucky or draft in the top 15. When people say we need to invest in a corner with a high pick I'm just saying it's either get a second rounder or get a top 15 player because the in-between has a ton of risk.

This past draft would have been a perfect time but we got very unlucky with 7 corners getting taken like right before we drafted. Even my sleeper of Bunting was gone.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:26 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I tend to agree with you here

Without trying to be too harsh on those guys, they kinda feel like second tier mercenaries, which is fine to a point obviously... but sooner or later Veach needs to start growing his own first tier talent at CB
[Reply]
Strongside 05:31 PM 08-01-2019
Pick 32 would have gotten a premier, day-1 starting CB in this year’s draft.
[Reply]
Page 120 of 270
« First < 2070110116117118119120 121122123124130170220 > Last »
Up