ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1721 of 3903
« First < 721122116211671171117171718171917201721 172217231724172517311771182122212721 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 08:13 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
How were the overall numbers compared to yesterday?
Worldmeters had 2300 something it was 2400 something day before I think.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 08:24 PM 04-29-2020
I believe daily new cases and deaths were down today.

And it’s not Sunday....
[Reply]
LiveSteam 08:37 PM 04-29-2020
Some of you wont like this.

Turkey's Ministry of Health says the relatively low death toll is thanks to treatment protocols in the country, which involve two existing drugs — the controversial anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine touted by President Trump, and Japanese antiviral favipiravir.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...ine-treatment/
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:48 PM 04-29-2020
Hamas I have a dumb question for you and I debated a friend who's a UCSF med school grade.

If a person who eats healthier and exercises 30 minutes a day are they less likely to die from this virus?

My uneducated thinking on this is 1. Most people who die from this already have underlying conditions which obesity contributes to that 2. The mortality rate is rather low so even if you save a few thousands lives by people getting into better shape you've done your job 3. You are much more likely to atleast incorporate some fruits and vegetables into your diet and walk a few miles a week and lose 15-20 pounds by November then there is for a vaccine to be figured out by then.

I get its simplistic thinking and not a "cure" but I havent seen this mentioned on a national, state or local level. Just seems like something that might help during a time when people are losing their shit. What better motivation?
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:51 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
ICU Director from Cedars-Sinai Tarzana. Yes this was from Glen Beck's show but it is not political other than about 20 seconds of talk about the 2 CA doctors having their video removed from Youtube. Talks about suppressing the immune system to save people....

Thank you for sharing that was really informative at least was for me. Gives me some hope that we are slowly learning how to fight it and treat it.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:51 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:

Turkey's Ministry of Health says the relatively low death toll is thanks to treatment protocols in the country, which involve two existing drugs — the controversial anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine touted by President Trump, and Japanese antiviral favipiravir.

I don’t know if I trust anything coming out if Turkey, maybe that is just me.
[Reply]
O.city 09:03 PM 04-29-2020
Favipiravitir had good grades iirc coming out of China early in this. It’s Japanese so if China is saying it was effective you know it mist have been
[Reply]
DaFace 09:07 PM 04-29-2020

Anyone who is rooting for it to fail are idiots. I'm very skeptical of it, but by all means, if it works, let's see some well-researched proof of it.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:12 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Remember a week and a half ago where people were citing models the government was looking at saying they thought we should only see 60k deaths?

Well, we are over 61,100 as of today. With states doing a phase 1 reopening, expect this number to continue to rise. The weather & continued slight social distancing in these places will help mitigate it, as well as the leveling off in NY but I would expect to see a pretty constant new cases and death rates regardless.
Remember 6 weeks ago when if we didn't mitigate we would have 2.2 million deaths and if we did we would still have hundreds of thousands, overwhelm the hospitals and have to choose who received a ventilator...

6 weeks later and 30 million unemployed.

GTFO
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:20 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Remember 6 weeks ago when if we didn't mitigate we would have 2.2 million deaths and if we did we would still have hundreds of thousands, overwhelm the hospitals and have to choose who received a ventilator...

6 weeks later and 30 million unemployed.

GTFO
Yeah because no other countries economy went to shit during this and we would prosper with hundreds of thousands dying and getting sick.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:22 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Hamas I have a dumb question for you and I debated a friend who's a UCSF med school grade.

If a person who eats healthier and exercises 30 minutes a day are they less likely to die from this virus?

My uneducated thinking on this is 1. Most people who die from this already have underlying conditions which obesity contributes to that 2. The mortality rate is rather low so even if you save a few thousands lives by people getting into better shape you've done your job 3. You are much more likely to atleast incorporate some fruits and vegetables into your diet and walk a few miles a week and lose 15-20 pounds by November then there is for a vaccine to be figured out by then.

I get its simplistic thinking and not a "cure" but I havent seen this mentioned on a national, state or local level. Just seems like something that might help during a time when people are losing their shit. What better motivation?
It wouldn't hurt; the extent to which it would help over a short period is likely unknowable, but probably very small for the individual while helpful for the population. The thing to remember is that most of our major killers do so slowly. They call hypertension the silent killer because you can do tremendous damage while asymptomatic. You aren't going to begin experiencing angina from clogged coronary arteries until you have significant disease, and many people don't get diagnosed with Type II Diabetes until they have really bad A1c levels.

Hypertension results in end organ damage to the heart, kidneys, and cerebral vasculature, but it's a pretty slow process. Coronary artery disease can be stabilized, and plaques can stabilize and even lessen, but it takes a fair amount of time, and Type II Diabetes wreaks havoc all over the body (the biggest issue is a substantially increased cardiovascular risk).

It might be more helpful to think of it as a continuum of disease rather than an on/off switch. Having no comorbidities is better than having controlled disease states, which are better than uncontrolled disease states. I would hazard a guess that those whose chronic diseases are fairly well-controlled don't have significantly increased mortality risks from COVID.

For example: If I have two consecutive BPs over 140/90, I can be diagnosed as having hypertension. But if I watch my diet (DASH is a good one) and exercise, and I get down to 120/80, I still technically have hypertension, but it's controlled (this is a little more complex with some of the newer guidelines released in 2018, but we'll skip over that). Or, let's say that in addition to diet and exercise, I take a small dose of a thiazide diuretic and that controls my BP. Another person has a BP of 150/100 and they start them on medical management, but it doesn't control it, so they add another drug and that gets them to 120/80. They're controlled but the underlying disease is more severe. The next person has a high BP and is prescribed agents that can control it, but they aren't adherent, so sometimes it's within goal and other times it's far above. And then there's the guy that it is 170/110, has resistant hypertension, and eats like shit.

The first person is in better shape than the second, than the third, and so on. But how much better are they off in the short term?

Over the course of a year, there isn't likely to be a meaningful difference in mortality for any of the people I mentioned, except maybe the last one (and even then, you'd be surprised how small the one year risk is). Over several years, that risk begins to add up, though.

However, if you extrapolate that over a large population you begin to see benefits from even small shifts in the numbers, and there's nothing about your idea that would be harmful. It's all upside. That's why every clinician always starts with lifestyle modification. An ounce of prevention...

To provide an analogy: a lot of hospitals will always give patients normal saline to rehydrate them--it's cheap, plentiful, and the side effects are pretty low. However, there is a small, but notable risk of acute kidney injury from giving normal saline instead of giving Lactated Ringers. The overall risk to the individual is miniscule, but the population benefits are worth it because treating acute kidney injury is expensive.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:26 PM 04-29-2020

Turan said the combination of drugs appeared to "delay or eliminate the need for intensive care for patients." But it's important to note that Turkey's use of the drug is not a clinically controlled trial; there's no control group of patients not given the medication to compare the results against.

While Turkey's relatively low test rate might suggest even more impressive mortality figures, there are also concerns that the official death toll for the country — the other half of the mortality equation — could be a significant underestimate.

The Turkish Medical Association, the country's largest doctors' union, has criticized the government for not using broader diagnostic criteria approved by the World Health Organization in its counting of COVID-19 deaths, saying it could be obscuring the "real dimensions of the problem."

Read your own links.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:27 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
I believe daily new cases and deaths were down today.

And it’s not Sunday....
Actually cases were up
[Reply]
petegz28 09:28 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Worldmeters had 2300 something it was 2400 something day before I think.
New cases today were 28k
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:33 PM 04-29-2020
I thought KCs mayor did a great job explaining why and how KCs new cases are down to about 72ish this week. Social distancing has worked. The first stimulus didnt go fair enough we need a 2nd one that specifically targets small business and can buy a year or so to get their house in order.

With that said get more testing and hopefully some medical breakthroughs by fall cities like KC will be kicking ass vs this thing.
[Reply]
Page 1721 of 3903
« First < 721122116211671171117171718171917201721 172217231724172517311771182122212721 > Last »
Up