ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 361 of 362
« First < 261311351357358359360361 362 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 02:26 PM 03-21-2024
SpaceX is targeting Thursday, March 21 for Falcon 9’s launch of Dragon’s 30th Commercial Resupply Services (CRS-30) mission to the International Space Station from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. Liftoff is targeted for 4:55 p.m. ET with a backup launch opportunity available on Friday, March 22 at 4:29 p.m. ET if needed.

A live webcast of this mission will begin on X @SpaceX about 20 minutes prior to liftoff. Watch live.

This is the sixth flight of the first stage booster supporting this mission, which previously launched Ax-2, ESA Euclid, Ax-3, and two Starlink missions. Following stage separation, Falcon 9's first stage will land on Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station.

CRS-30 is the fourth flight for this Dragon spacecraft, which previously flew CRS-22, CRS-24, and CRS-27 to the space station. After an approximate 38-hour flight, Dragon will autonomously dock with space station Saturday, March 23 at approximately 7:30 a.m. ET.

https://www.spacex.com/launches/miss...ssionId=crs-30
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 09:33 PM 04-04-2024

Flight 4 should be less than 2 months away (sometime in May).

Super Heavy booster for Flight 4 moved to the pad at Starbase pic.twitter.com/A3aYgdPt8V

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) April 4, 2024

[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 07:09 PM 04-05-2024

Getting ready for Flight 4 https://t.co/cylOfDi4rk

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 6, 2024

Additional views from today’s Super Heavy static fire pic.twitter.com/jSmw7UxKF8

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) April 6, 2024

[Reply]
Donger 10:47 AM 04-09-2024

[Reply]
DaFace 06:32 PM Yesterday
The next Boeing Starliner test is coming up tonight finally (2 astronauts on board). Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly.

On NASA TV.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:36 PM Yesterday
Ha, well, that was timely. Scrubbed due to a stuck valve.
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 06:41 PM Yesterday
Any of you space nerds ever coming down here for a Starship flight test? IFT 4 should be within a month or so.

Then it should get even more interesting with IFT 5 and beyond. Catching the super heavy booster, a second Mechazilla Orbital Launch Integration Tower, etc.
[Reply]
ThrobProng 07:53 AM Today
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Ha, well, that was timely. Scrubbed due to a stuck valve.
I can't believe any astronaut with a sense of self-preservation would trust a rocket made by Boeing.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:02 AM Today
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
I can't believe any astronaut with a sense of self-preservation would trust a rocket made by Boeing.
Technically, the capsule is made by Boeing. The rocket is made by ULA, and that's where this particular issue came from.
[Reply]
seamonster 08:04 AM Today
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
Boeing has been sending rockets into space for a long time. They're probably one of the most trustworthy big-space operations in the world.
[Reply]
ThrobProng 08:13 AM Today
Originally Posted by seamonster:
Boeing has been sending rockets into space for a long time. They're probably one of the most trustworthy big-space operations in the world.
Boeing was also a trusted airplane manufacturer not long ago. Now? Not so much.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 AM Today
I mean sure, but Starliner has been a complete disaster in every way except actually killing people. It was originally supposed to be in operation in 2017, so it's SEVEN YEARS behind schedule. Boeing has lost about $1.5 BILLION on it because NASA finally got tired of essentially subsidizing the company by awarding them cost-plus contracts. It was originally supposed to be a race between Boeing and SpaceX, and so far Starliner has flown 0 operational missions (and this one is still just a test) while SpaceX has flown 8 flights for NASA and another 4 for commercial customers (that's double their original contract - mostly because Boeing shit the bed and NASA needed someone else to step in).

For the sake of having redundancy, I hope Starliner flies and flies well, but implying that Boeing deserves any sort of trust with it because of their decades-old track record completely ignores the debacle that company has been for the past 20 or so years.
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 10:03 AM Today
Ship 30 (IFT5 vehicle) set for static fire shortly. 🚀

Ship 30's time to shine (Flight 5 vehicle). Expected Static Fire test later today. Will be commented livestream later, Starbase Live for the meantime:https://t.co/e3xbqPnwZ5 pic.twitter.com/RvJUEoM7Ny

— Chris Bergin - NSF (@NASASpaceflight) May 7, 2024

[Reply]
seamonster 01:13 PM Today
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I mean sure, but Starliner has been a complete disaster in every way except actually killing people. It was originally supposed to be in operation in 2017, so it's SEVEN YEARS behind schedule. Boeing has lost about $1.5 BILLION on it because NASA finally got tired of essentially subsidizing the company by awarding them cost-plus contracts. It was originally supposed to be a race between Boeing and SpaceX, and so far Starliner has flown 0 operational missions (and this one is still just a test) while SpaceX has flown 8 flights for NASA and another 4 for commercial customers (that's double their original contract - mostly because Boeing shit the bed and NASA needed someone else to step in).

For the sake of having redundancy, I hope Starliner flies and flies well, but implying that Boeing deserves any sort of trust with it because of their decades-old track record completely ignores the debacle that company has been for the past 20 or so years.
What the hell does this have to do with anything? Boeing's been launching vehicles and running a massive space operation since before I was alive on planet earth. They've accumulated hundreds of years of combined engineering knowledge (more than Europe and China). To act like they can't launch a manned rocket into space because of budget over-runs is crazy. BTW, elements of Boeing space were involved with the ****ing Apollo missions. Stop reading headlines.
[Reply]
ThrobProng 01:25 PM Today
What the hell does this have to do with anything? Boeing's been launching vehicles and running a massive space operation since before I was alive on planet earth. They've accumulated hundreds of years of combined engineering knowledge (more than Europe and China). To act like they can't launch a manned rocket into space because of budget over-runs is crazy. BTW, elements of Boeing space were involved with the ****ing Apollo missions. Stop reading headlines.
Loads of experience didn't prevent Boeing from committing major fuck ups while designing and building airplanes, then trying to minimize and cover up their mistakes after the fact.

I wouldn't trust Boeing to design a child's drone at this point.
[Reply]
Page 361 of 362
« First < 261311351357358359360361 362 >
Up