ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 21
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins will officially be back
carcosa 03:39 AM 04-03-2020

The Chiefs have reached an agreement with Sammy Watkins on a new 1-year deal that will pay him a base of $9m for 2020 with an incentive package that can reach $16m, a source tells me.

The move creates $5m in cap space for the Chiefs to operate this offseason.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) April 3, 2020

I think this is nice!
[Reply]
Shields68 11:00 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
I didn't realize he was still owed 7 on the bonus.
Not sure he is owed the money. Just how signing bonuses are done for cap purposes. sometime teams will convert salary to a signing bonus to spread the amount out over the life of the contract and free up money under this years cap.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 11:08 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Not sure he is owed the money. Just how signing bonuses are done for cap purposes. sometime teams will convert salary to a signing bonus to spread the amount out over the life of the contract and free up money under this years cap.
Signing bonus are almost always paid up front but the cap hit is spread over the life of the contract. So hes not getting paid the 7 mil but it counts against this years cap. Just like eric berry still has a 8 mil cap hit but that money was paid out when he signed his deal 5 years ago or whenever.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:13 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Wanna talk about something fun......some serious speculation running rampant that if Clowney drops his asking price to 13-14 per the Chiefs may make a few moves and make a run after him.

Whoa. That would be ... crazy.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 11:19 AM 04-03-2020
Wanna talk about something fun......some serious speculation running rampant that if Clowney drops his asking price to 13-14 per the Chiefs may make a few moves and make a run after him.
Where are you seeing this rampant speculation? Only way we become a player for him is if Jones is traded. Pretty clear Veach wants to keep the gang together and run this thing back. I do think people are underestimating the possibility we draft a defensive end at pick 32 to pair with Jones and Clark. I'm sure Spags would like to replicate that defensive line he had in New York.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:23 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Whoa. That would be ... crazy.
The rumor basically is he has a very thin market so he may be willing to sign a 1 or 2 year prove type deal to try to get paid...well what better place to do it than a winner with some other line players that would take a ton of pressure off him.

Also the Chiefs are currently holding some dead weight deals they could get out of to create cap space.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:24 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
Where are you seeing this rampant speculation? Only way we become a player for him is if Jones is traded. Pretty clear Veach wants to keep the gang together and run this thing back. I do think people are underestimating the possibility we draft a defensive end at pick 32 to pair with Jones and Clark. I'm sure Spags would like to replicate that defensive line he had in New York.
That actually isn't true, the Chiefs are holding several contracts they could easily move on from.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:26 AM 04-03-2020
That would be neat, but I think Seattle would quickly scoop him back up at that price.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:27 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
That would be neat, but I think Seattle would quickly scoop him back up at that price.
But he performed poorly there and it's why his value is down.....if he were to pick a team like us to play with Clark and Jones he's likely to put up bigger numbers and the Chiefs are far more high profile than Seattle is right now.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 11:29 AM 04-03-2020
That actually isn't true, the Chiefs are holding several contracts they could easily move on from.
LDT and who else?
[Reply]
Mecca 11:33 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
LDT and who else?
I can open 10 million dollars with LDT, Colquitt and Sorensen...

In reality if you can just come to an agreement with Jones it probably takes care of the vast majority of this. That or you can do a quick restructure of Mathieu's deal.
[Reply]
2bikemike 11:33 AM 04-03-2020
The rumor basically is he has a very thin market so he may be willing to sign a 1 or 2 year prove type deal to try to get paid...well what better place to do it than a winner with some other line players that would take a ton of pressure off him.

Also the Chiefs are currently holding some dead weight deals they could get out of to create cap space.
I think several players are more willing to do the short term deal and pray the NFL gets what they want in the new TV deals that will certainly boost the Cap.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:34 AM 04-03-2020
But he performed poorly there and it's why his value is down.....if he were to pick a team like us to play with Clark and Jones he's likely to put up bigger numbers and the Chiefs are far more high profile than Seattle is right now.

They can pick up about $10 million by cutting LDT and Okafor, if I recall correctly. Is that what you’re thinking?
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 11:37 AM 04-03-2020
I can open 10 million dollars with LDT, Colquitt and Sorensen...

In reality if you can just come to an agreement with Jones it probably takes care of the vast majority of this. That or you can do a quick restructure of Mathieu's deal.
Hey I'd be all for it if Veach can make it work. Thatd be the best defensive line in the NFL by far to pair with Mahomes and that offense. Pumped Sammy is back he is such an underrated piece!
[Reply]
Mecca 11:38 AM 04-03-2020
They can pick up about $10 million by cutting LDT and Okafor, if I recall correctly. Is that what you’re thinking?
I think Okafor is a more likely cut after this year but they would save about a million dollars if they cut him now.

All bets are off on a guy like Clowney he's coming off a down year and a FA right before caps are set to spike, it would make sense for him to sign with a high profile team with other players around him to try to maximize that value before going out again.

Also where this rumor is coming from is on the Yahoo podcast with Paylor and Robinson, they wouldn't mention teams by name but they said there was a new team in the Clowney mix now that his asking price was coming down. Then they added it was a contender that had 2 force multipliers on the line.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 11:40 AM 04-03-2020
Okafor isnt going anywhere. 2020 cap hit of $7.2 million with $6 million in dead cap.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 21
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up