ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 266 of 268
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268 >
Media Center>Star Wars Episode VIII SPOILERS thread
DaneMcCloud 03:28 PM 01-20-2016
For all things Episode VIII related info including spoilers.

The release date is now December 15, 2017.

The Official Synopsis from Star Wars.com

“In Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in U.S. theaters on December 15, 2017.”

New footage in Japanese Trailer

[Reply]
Bowser 01:25 PM 07-08-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Kylo is just as bad as prequel Anakin. Hell, he might be a little worse.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Bowser 02:16 PM 07-08-2018
Jesus :-)

[Reply]
Fish 05:06 PM 07-08-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:

Very good review honestly.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:32 PM 07-08-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
Very good review honestly.
I agree, he hit it on the head pretty perfectly. Seemed a little brutal as I watched it, though. Heh.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:13 AM 07-09-2018
That's a great review save the feminist angle. I thought that was a reach.

Is that really what people think when they see women in power?
[Reply]
BigRichard 09:58 AM 07-09-2018
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:

Feminist angle was definitely not a reach. Did you see anyone have an issue with Leia when she was the take charge one in the original Star Wars? That was back in the 70s and nobody had an issue with it. Do you think Wonder Woman did so good because people have a problem with women in power?

Have you not seen KK with her group of woman in shirts stating the Force is Female. She is obviously pushing her bullshit agenda into the movies. TLJ made just about every man in the movie look like a buffoon while basically showed how you should never question a woman's judgement no matter what.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 04:11 PM 07-09-2018
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Feminist angle was definitely not a reach. Did you see anyone have an issue with Leia when she was the take charge one in the original Star Wars? That was back in the 70s and nobody had an issue with it.
Star Wars came out way before I was born so I can't say how it was received, but on the surface I'd say the situations aren't comparable. Leia was the only woman in the cast and essentially took a back seat to Han, Luke, and Vader.

Originally Posted by :
Do you think Wonder Woman did so good because people have a problem with women in power?
Women make up over 50% of the population. Makes sense that the first blockbuster, female-headlined superhero movie would do well.

Originally Posted by :
Have you not seen KK with her group of woman in shirts stating the Force is Female. She is obviously pushing her bullshit agenda into the movies. TLJ made just about every man in the movie look like a buffoon while basically showed how you should never question a woman's judgement no matter what.
LOL Where, though? Because the hothead fighter jockey demanded to know what the plan was and she refused to tell him? This was a shit movie. She withheld the info to create tension and the sacrifice soon-to-come. That explains it.. It doesn't have to be the feminist agenda boogeyman.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:16 PM 07-09-2018
Star Wars came out way before I was born so I can't say how it was received, but on the surface I'd say the situations aren't comparable. Leia was the only woman in the cast and essentially took a back seat to Han, Luke, and Vader.
If Rey is a Mary-Sue. Leia was a Mary Tyler Moore.

She was a damsel in distress, and pretty and all that. But she was spunky and assertive.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:15 PM 07-09-2018

Only when they also emasculate every male character. Han is a dead beat dad. Luke is a coward. Finn is a coward (and he even has the same 'overcoming cowardice' arc in BOTH ****ING MOVIES, only overcoming it due to a strong woman), Poe is an insecure dense seditious moron, I don't even know what to say about Kylo Ren... he's a feminist hate fantasy of toxic masculinity.

I mean, you don't have to shit on men to empower women.

Having said that, it's not really relevant to why I disliked the movie. I disliked the hyper conservative themes of Forrest Gump but still manages to love that film. I didn't so much like how right wing themes were shoehorned into the Dark Knight trilogy, but still enjoyed it.

Nah, the main problem with this trilogy is the characters suck and they seem to be intentionally ruining the already beloved characters in order to 'clear the way'.

Reminds me of making Captain America a Nazi (something that IS canon in marvel comics now) in order to get some new 'woke' replacement characters.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:21 PM 07-09-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
If Rey is a Mary-Sue. Leia was a Mary Tyler Moore.

She was a damsel in distress, and pretty and all that. But she was spunky and assertive.
I don't like the Mary Sue thing. It genders it too much.

She's really just an awful protagonist.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:11 PM 07-09-2018
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Only when they also emasculate every male character. Han is a dead beat dad. Luke is a coward. Finn is a coward (and he even has the same 'overcoming cowardice' arc in BOTH ****ING MOVIES, only overcoming it due to a strong woman), Poe is an insecure dense seditious moron, I don't even know what to say about Kylo Ren... he's a feminist hate fantasy of toxic masculinity.

I mean, you don't have to shit on men to empower women.
I mean, I don't want to make it seem like I'm defending this atrocious movie, but all of this is just more reaching.

How is Han a deadbeat? Isn't Kylo's turn to the dark side the source of their estrangement? Luke a coward? That just seems really off base. He seems disillusioned, maybe. And Finn? He turned heel on the First Order, squared off with Kylo Ren and attempted to sacrifice himself at the end of TLJ. Hardly the acts of a true coward.

All of these characters may be deeply flawed or just shit in general, but I don't see much evidence of a vast conspiracy to debase the patriarchy.
[Reply]
Fish 10:50 PM 07-09-2018
[...]

All of these characters may be deeply flawed or just shit in general, but I don't see much evidence of a vast conspiracy to debase the patriarchy.
To be honest, I got the sense of both even during my first watch. That's just my opinion. But it seemed clear the film thought it necessary to denote reckless male flaws, while emphasizing independent lead female roles. I didn't really hate the film for that, because it had so many other fatal plot flaws and such. But I did notice it.. And most of the characters were flat and disinteresting..
[Reply]
Gravedigger 07:52 AM 07-10-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:

The Rose part had me rolling.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:25 AM 07-10-2018
To be honest, I got the sense of both even during my first watch. That's just my opinion. But it seemed clear the film thought it necessary to denote reckless male flaws, while emphasizing independent lead female roles. I didn't really hate the film for that, because it had so many other fatal plot flaws and such. But I did notice it.. And most of the characters were flat and disinteresting..
Shit, you might be right. I don't pretend to know everything..

But I re-watched the review to make sure I wasn't completely off base and it really only reaffirmed my skepticism. First of all, he's clearly got some issues and preconceived notions that I think are clouding his judgement:

-He says Holdo looks like she should be "giving a lecture on modern afrocentric feminism" and called her a "lesbian book store owner".
-He says "Now, look, I don't want to complain about diversity..." but then proceeds to point out all of the non-white cast members lol That reeks of a move that would be pulled by one of those weirdos who complained when the TFA was coming out that there'd be a female lead and a black Stormtrooper.
-He says "Poe thinks he's a better leader than Holdo because he's a man". Poe's 'mansplaining' with four other women on-screen and that somehow means sexism.. or something.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 09:27 AM 07-10-2018
:-)

Exactly.
[Reply]
Page 266 of 268
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268 >
Up