ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Media Center>Build or prebuilt PC for my needs
The Franchise 12:13 PM 06-01-2020
I couldn’t find the “Build Your Own PC” thread, so I figured I’d create my own.

Haven’t had a gaming PC in a long time. I mostly play PS4. I’m looking into getting a desktop PC that can handle gaming (both on a monitor and a TV), Photoshop and Illustrator and then as a media PC that I can play movies. I’m looking into burning all of my DVDs to a hard drive so that I can play them in my media room or downstairs on my main TV.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Should I go prebuilt or build my own? Keep in mind that I’ve never built my own.
[Reply]
Fish 10:06 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
In more than 22 years of building PC's for my recording studio, I've never built an AMD, nor has any manufacturer recommended that I purchase an AMD (as a matter of fact, it's been blatantly stated to avoid them at all costs), so I'll defer to you.

That said, I'll never purchase or build an AMD based computer. I'm sure they're fine for other applications but not for pro audio.

Intel all the way.
5+ years ago, I would have supported your opinion 101%. I have never owned anything but Intel, and am currently waiting for the 10th gen of Intel CPUs to lower in price as opposed to building a current more affordable AMD upgrade system. But Intel has completely fucked the bed for the last 2 generations of their CPUs. Their price point has been stupid, and everybody knows it. In about 6 months or so, the current Intel prices will relax and come down more in line with AMD's pricing because AMD is currently killing it. I'm waiting until then. But that said, the current AMD CPUs are nothing to laugh at. Unlike 20 years ago, they actually provide very competitive performance, at a much lower price. Especially for gaming. They're offering more cores for the buck, and that's really important. The performance isn't any worse for business relates apps like Adobe Suite either.

I'm a system admin by trade, and I have a great deal of experience with a huge variety of current hardware. Both Windows and Mac. AMD is currently king, as much as it pains me to say that. Even though my next build will still be an Intel.
[Reply]
Fish 10:11 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Absolutely this. Small cost difference, notable performance difference.

And lots of Freesync monitors are now G-Sync compatible so you can get variable refresh rate and no screen tear without spending bigger $ on full G-Sync. I’m monitor shopping right now with my son, all but decided on this one which appears to offer a good mix of options at a decent price:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1682401...qHhDdxo.0.7tIA
This is another good point. Your choice of monitor is just as important as your GPU purchase. Don't hold back spending on a good monitor. It's what you'll be directly staring at for years. I highly recommend allocating proper budget towards your main monitor. The difference between a 1080p 60Hz monitor, and 2K/4K 120Hz monitor is INSANE on the user end. I highly suggest you budget for at least a 2K/4K 120Hz monitor if you want that amazing hifi experience. And look for the GSync/FreeSync option that matches your other hardware choices if possible.
[Reply]
Pants 11:05 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Absolutely this. Small cost difference, notable performance difference.

And lots of Freesync monitors are now G-Sync compatible so you can get variable refresh rate and no screen tear without spending bigger $ on full G-Sync. I’m monitor shopping right now with my son, all but decided on this one which appears to offer a good mix of options at a decent price:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1682401...qHhDdxo.0.7tIA
That's a good point, man.

I have this https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...s%2C158&sr=1-1 but paid much more. That is an incredible deal. This is a thing of beauty. The design is dumb but the PQ is out of control.

Have you done a lot of research on VA vs TN vs IPS?
[Reply]
bowener 10:06 AM 06-02-2020
I have found this website to be a useful resource. I am in the process of building my own.

edit: also, avoid https://www.userbenchmark.com/ to compare components. They are a joke.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:26 AM 06-02-2020
Has anyone ever bought anything through Cyberpower PC? I’m guessing I’m going to hear how they’re overpriced but just checking to see if anyone has.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:02 AM 06-02-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Has anyone ever bought anything through Cyberpower PC? I’m guessing I’m going to hear how they’re overpriced but just checking to see if anyone has.
I used to sell them like ten years ago. I felt they always tried to make up their margin on the PSU, meaning the power supply was lower quality or under-powered. No clue how they hold up now.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:12 AM 06-02-2020
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
I used to sell them like ten years ago. I felt they always tried to make up their margin on the PSU, meaning the power supply was lower quality or under-powered. No clue how they hold up now.
I’m doing some price comparisons right now and it’s not too far off in price. Obviously it’s going to be higher priced because someone is building it for you and installing everything. I’m just not seeing a gaping price discrepancy.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:15 AM 06-02-2020
I’m doing some price comparisons right now and it’s not too far off in price. Obviously it’s going to be higher priced because someone is building it for you and installing everything. I’m just not seeing a gaping price discrepancy.
Once you find one you like, post a link. I'd be interested in the PSU specs.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:25 AM 06-02-2020
Http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1MCW4E

This is one I spent about 15 minutes customizing. Updated the RAM,
, the power supply, the HD and the GPU.
[Reply]
Pants 03:05 PM 06-02-2020
Http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1MCW4E

This is one I spent about 15 minutes customizing. Updated the RAM,
, the power supply, the HD and the GPU.
Just by glancing at it, the price seems a little steep?
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:24 PM 06-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
$1800....yeah. I figure I’m paying more money for them to build it....as well as a warranty. Not saying it’s a better deal....just a different option.
[Reply]
jd1020 03:35 PM 06-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Kinda what I was thinking. I havent looked at recent pricings but I'm not sure how you start with a $500ish GPU and a $280ish CPU and end up at $1800.

What exactly is their warranty? All the parts come with a warranty from the manufacture and you'll get a 30 day window to return a defective part to a retailer. Feel like you could probably buy someone dinner to build one for you and save a bunch of money.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:40 PM 06-02-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Kinda what I was thinking. I havent looked at recent pricings but I'm not sure how you start with a $500ish GPU and a $280ish CPU and end up at $1800.

What exactly is their warranty? All the parts come with a warranty from the manufacture and you'll get a 30 day window to return a defective part to a retailer. Feel like you could probably buy someone dinner to build one for you and save a bunch of money.
Prices I’ve seen for the GPU start at $500
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:49 PM 06-02-2020
And fans versus water cooled? What are your thoughts?
[Reply]
jd1020 03:53 PM 06-02-2020
And fans versus water cooled? What are your thoughts?
Price to performance = Air.

I havent seen any compelling reason to go to water cooling other than aesthetics and the RGBs which turns your PC into a "pro" model and makes it run 30% faster.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up