ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Sony Playstation 5 thread
bowener 10:04 AM 03-17-2020
I figured we could go ahead and start this.

Spoiler!


Spoiler!


I wasn't able to watch it today, but Sony had a live event where they unveiled the PS5 console. I don't really have an opinion on the appearance yet, but it can be vertical or horizontal.

Your first look at the #PlayStation5. pic.twitter.com/VCDfmVKCEl

— PlayStation (@PlayStation) June 11, 2020


...and here it is. Thanks for watching! #PS5 pic.twitter.com/pOzHc31X3G

— PlayStation (@PlayStation) June 11, 2020

[Reply]
Trent Green GOAT 02:56 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by bowener:
Where in/on an entertainment center do you put the new xbox? It's 6x6x12 and needs to be stood upright. I do like the appearance of it otherwise.

You can set it up horizontal.
[Reply]
Cave Johnson 03:20 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by bowener:
Where in/on an entertainment center do you put the new xbox? It's 6x6x12 and needs to be stood upright. I do like the appearance of it otherwise.

It goes both ways.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/1...ertical-design
[Reply]
Cave Johnson 03:21 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
PS5 for exclusive content. Xbox for platform-agnostic content and gaming computer power to rival many PCs.
That's where I'm at.

Probably buy a launch Series X and PS5 down the road once the exclusive catalog builds up.

Rumor is the former may play PC games in Windows mode.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:48 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
That's where I'm at.

Probably buy a launch Series X and PS5 down the road once the exclusive catalog builds up.

Rumor is the former may play PC games in Windows mode.
If gamepass carries over, the Xbox is a great deal.
[Reply]
Cave Johnson 04:00 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
If gamepass carries over, the Xbox is a great deal.
I bet it will.

I just bought 24 months of XBL and did the 1 month trial thing.
[Reply]
New World Order 04:09 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
If gamepass carries over, the Xbox is a great deal.
You still VR'ing it up Beauford?
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:29 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
It goes both ways.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/1...ertical-design
just like me! oh wait
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:29 AM 03-20-2020
i have an oculus
[Reply]
Jerm 07:59 AM 03-20-2020
The SSD in this is fucking bonkers....makes it worth buying alone.

That and the 3D Audio implementation, can't wait...
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 08:25 AM 03-20-2020
I’m only buying one system and it’ll be a PS5. I don’t give a shit about specs and flops. Sony’s exclusives are so much better than the Microsoft catalog and it’s supposed to be cheaper than the Xbox. Sweet! The next God of War will be insane.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 08:26 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Jerm:
The SSD in this is fucking bonkers....makes it worth buying alone.

That and the 3D Audio implementation, can't wait...
Iím a little surprised no one seems to care about the audio deal. Thereís huge room for improvement there. Iím really looking forward to the new virtual surround sound headphones.
[Reply]
Cave Johnson 11:07 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
Iím only buying one system and itíll be a PS5. I donít give a shit about specs and flops. Sonyís exclusives are so much better than the Microsoft catalog and itís supposed to be cheaper than the Xbox. Sweet! The next God of War will be insane.
M$ strongly hinting theyíll be price competitive.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/14/...ncer-interview
[Reply]
vailpass 11:08 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Jerm:
The SSD in this is ****ing bonkers....makes it worth buying alone.

That and the 3D Audio implementation, can't wait...
Itís not the size, itís the throughput (thatís what she said).

Storage is where the Xbox Series X and PS5 differ radically. Sony has created an impressive proprietary SSD solution that provides 825GB of storage and 5.5GB/s of performance. The Xbox Series X includes a custom 1TB NVME SSD, but its raw throughput is less than half at 2.4GB/s. That could mean load times differ massively between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, depending on what game developers optimize for.

Sony is also allowing PS5 owners to expand storage with regular NVMe PC drives, but thereís a slight caveat. Weíre still waiting to see PCIe 4.0-based drives that will match the bandwidth of what Sony has implemented in the PS5, and compatibility could be complex given that Sony will need to validate that drives will be fast enough and compatible with the PS5.

Sonyís expansion does mean that PS5 owners should be able to pick up a fast PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive and increase the storage of the console with relative ease. Microsoft is using a proprietary expansion card format for the Xbox Series X, and it has partnered with Seagate to produce 1TB expansion cards for launch. We still donít know the price of these proprietary cards, nor how much fast PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives will cost later this year.

Verge.com
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:12 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Itís not the size, itís the throughput (thatís what she said).

Storage is where the Xbox Series X and PS5 differ radically. Sony has created an impressive proprietary SSD solution that provides 825GB of storage and 5.5GB/s of performance. The Xbox Series X includes a custom 1TB NVME SSD, but its raw throughput is less than half at 2.4GB/s. That could mean load times differ massively between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, depending on what game developers optimize for.

Sony is also allowing PS5 owners to expand storage with regular NVMe PC drives, but thereís a slight caveat. Weíre still waiting to see PCIe 4.0-based drives that will match the bandwidth of what Sony has implemented in the PS5, and compatibility could be complex given that Sony will need to validate that drives will be fast enough and compatible with the PS5.

Sonyís expansion does mean that PS5 owners should be able to pick up a fast PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive and increase the storage of the console with relative ease. Microsoft is using a proprietary expansion card format for the Xbox Series X, and it has partnered with Seagate to produce 1TB expansion cards for launch. We still donít know the price of these proprietary cards, nor how much fast PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives will cost later this year.

Verge.com
Didn't Sony get absolutely blasted for using proprietary memory for one of their systems? I remember people were furious about it. It doesn't seem like there's been a negative reaction to the Microsoft solution yet, but I guess they also haven't announced prices.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:17 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
M$ strongly hinting theyíll be price competitive.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/14/...ncer-interview
That would be fantastic. I want Xbox to be as competitive as possible because both companies are at their best when they feel the pressure. Sony got arrogant for the PS3 launch and got hammered in sales for it.

But what about the games? Have you heard anything about new IP coming out of Microsoft studios? Halo, Gears, and Forza don't appeal to me at all.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up