ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>What’s your Chris Jones theory?
Direckshun 09:58 PM 05-29-2020
So we’ve read from a couple sources that the Jones-Veach talks haven’t been talks at all. Veach hasn’t even reached out to them. They’re not talking.

What’s your theory on this?

Why — if Jones is a huge part of our Super Bowl chances — has there been zero urgency to work with him on a contract?
[Reply]
Jamie 12:32 AM 05-30-2020
My guess is the idea that we could afford to re-sign him was predicated on the cap going up $10-12 million every year, and that's not likely anymore.
[Reply]
Hoover 08:19 AM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
My guess is the idea that we could afford to re-sign him was predicated on the cap going up $10-12 million every year, and that's not likely anymore.
This. And signing Pat is way more important to this franchise.

So Jones may have to play on the tag.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:13 PM 05-30-2020
They need to sign Pat to see how to structure Jones contract with the upcoming years. Mahomes is more important than Jones.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:20 PM 05-30-2020
Theory? There's no need to rush through a contract for Jones.

If they're going to keep him, a deal will get done before the deadline.

If a deal isn't reached before the July 15 deadline, he'll play on the Franchise Tag this year and will most likely be tagged again next year, then traded.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:37 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
They need to sign Pat to see how to structure Jones contract with the upcoming years. Mahomes is more important than Jones.
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Theory? There's no need to rush through a contract for Jones.

If they're going to keep him, a deal will get done before the deadline.

If a deal isn't reached before the July 15 deadline, he'll play on the Franchise Tag this year and will most likely be tagged again next year, then traded.
These
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 12:43 AM 05-31-2020
Potential injuries and the motor. Pay Pat first because giving this guy a Houston type contract now just scares me. 90% of these D-lineman that get a fat contract disappear or get hurt. As the ol saying goes, "this is a QB driven league" not d-lineman driven. Just saying.
[Reply]
Cosmos 05:35 AM 05-31-2020
He will be traded after he gets tagged next year, hopefully before the 2021 draft.

Too bad him and Pat couldn’t get together and take just a bit less, but that’s not how it works these days...
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:43 AM 06-01-2020
I do think the Chiefs never attempted to seriously trade him this offseason, but I think it’s becoming clear they never really believed they could sign him.

So they make a bunch of noise, say “we’re totally keeping this guy,” while making zero offers in the dog days of May/June when their lowball offers would get splashed all over social media and build up time to piss off Jones.

So they’re going to wait, I bet, until like 5 days before the deadline. They’ll lowball him a few times in a hurried negotiation so they can tell their fans they tried. They will then deal Jones next year for picks way less valuable than the Buckner deal, since teams will know we’re not keeping him.

This whole thing is trending towards Jones getting gone rather than keeping him here long term.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:40 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I do think the Chiefs never attempted to seriously trade him this offseason, but I think it’s becoming clear they never really believed they could sign him.
When was the last time the Chiefs signed a Franchised player to a long term contract before July 15th?

The league doesn't even know if it will play this season and even if it does, no one knows if there will be fans in the stands in 2020, let alone, in 2021.

Rushing to sign a guy that doesn't need to be signed for another 6 weeks would be dumb, especially considering that all of the necessary information isn't available at this time.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:16 PM 06-02-2020
Uh, it's pretty friggin obvious
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 07:49 PM 06-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
When was the last time the Chiefs signed a Franchised player to a long term contract before July 15th?

The league doesn't even know if it will play this season and even if it does, no one knows if there will be fans in the stands in 2020, let alone, in 2021.

Rushing to sign a guy that doesn't need to be signed for another 6 weeks would be dumb, especially considering that all of the necessary information isn't available at this time.
This. Plus I’ve thought from the beginning that signing Mahomes and Jones, if it happens, will occur at almost the same time give our cap situation and trying to fit both in together (if that’s even possible anymore). So when Patrick’s deal is done we’ll have answers one way or the other on Jones. No way we sign Jones without knowing we’ll be in a position to get Mahomes contract done.
[Reply]
Up