ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>I think I have figured out the perfect FA and draft plan for the defense
Buckweath 02:33 PM 02-13-2019
Here it goes.

FA

You sign a top notch FA safety (Thomas, Collins or Amos) for multiple years and a good DT (McCoy, Richardson, Suh, etc.) for a one-year or two-year contract. You can also sign other players on offense and defense on cheap deals.

Draft

1st round: CB

2nd round: ILB and C/G

3rd round: CB

You restructure Houston. You tag Ford. You trade a 2020 2nd round pick for Patrick Peterson or a lower pick for a decent veteran player who has a year or two left on his contract. I guess you could sign instead a FA CB on a one-year deal.

You end up with:

Houston-Nnadi-Jones-Ford

O'Daniel-Hitchens-2nd round LB

Peterson-Collins-Berri-1st round CB (Fuller in the slot)

You have Speaks and Kpassagnon as backup at DE. You have your FA DT rotating with Nnadi/Jones.

With the Hithens contract, I just don't think you can afford paying big dollars to a FA LB. Plus, recent drafts have showed that you can have a good LB late 2nd round/early 3rd round (Anzalone, Carter, Warner, Cunningham, etc.) and those guys are good early.

The linebackers would be the weakest group but I think they can be decent, especially if Hitchens goes back to his Cowboys' form.

The secondary would be a strong group. Even if Berri doesn't play, you have Watts or Murray (I know he is poor) who can play there. You have Ward and a 3rd round pick as backup CBs. I guess that 3rd round pick could be a safety but I would rather get a CB. If Berri doesn't play, Veach needs to find a scrap heap safety like Dorsey did so well.

I think it would be a defense set up for the next two years where you can draft a 1st round DE in 2020 to replace Houston/Ford or something like that.

Fire away! SB here we come.

What do you think?
[Reply]
Mecca 11:45 AM 02-14-2019
Lucas and Watts are already going to be here as safeties, I think it's time to move on from the past suck and the injured Berry, pursue Collins he has familiarity with this staff with Merritt and Spagnuolo, draft Adderly, roll with Collins Adderly Watts and Lucas...that is an overall that makes that position younger cheaper and better cause Collins isn't gonna make what Berry does either.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:46 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Lucas and Watts are already going to be here as safeties, I think it's time to move on from the past suck and the injured Berry, pursue Collins he has familiarity with this staff with Merritt and Spagnuolo, draft Adderly, roll with Collins Adderly Watts and Lucas...that is an overall that makes that position younger cheaper and better cause Collins isn't gonna make what Berry does either.
I'm in 100%.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:51 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I'm in 100%.
Me too.
[Reply]
Warrick 11:51 AM 02-14-2019
Nelson isn't coming back, in that ESPN projection thing they had him getting 3 years 35 million.
That's ridiculous too, considering how poor the secondary has been. Hopefully the Chiefs don't toss the Terrance Mitchells away, we can always use them as depth in that overhaul.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:54 AM 02-14-2019
The CB position isn't that far away either, Fuller, Ward and Smith are gonna be here, what they really need is a legit top level guy.

It's why I think if Minnesota is serious about moving Rhodes the Chiefs should be all over that. He's not that expensive for his position and he's a solid 1 for awhile. Supplement that with either a draft pick or a low risk high upside FA signing and all of the sudden this secondary is a lot better.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:00 PM 02-14-2019
The CB position isn't that far away either, Fuller, Ward and Smith are gonna be here, what they really need is a legit top level guy.

It's why I think if Minnesota is serious about moving Rhodes the Chiefs should be all over that. He's not that expensive for his position and he's a solid 1 for awhile. Supplement that with either a draft pick or a low risk high upside FA signing and all of the sudden this secondary is a lot better.
There are rumors that the Giants could be cutting Janoris Jenkins. He'd be an interesting pick up if it's not super expensive.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:02 PM 02-14-2019
There are rumors that the Giants could be cutting Janoris Jenkins. He'd be an interesting pick up if it's not super expensive.
That'd be a decent cheap option. That's the other thing this team should be doing, looking at vets who get cut who want to win something and are willing to take less for it.

Eric Weddle is an option for that if Baltimore moves on.
[Reply]
O.city 12:17 PM 02-14-2019

I haven't seen anything about them wanting to move on from him, but if so that would be a nice option.
[Reply]
O.city 12:18 PM 02-14-2019
If they want to or can move on from Berry, sure. I don't think they will or will be able to but that's gonna play out either way.

If they do though, I wouldn't be excited to just sign another safety to a big deal, especially one that's a similar player to Berry.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:27 PM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, there probably was.

Speaks wasn't good. Sure he picked up a few coverage sacks and was totally out of position at OLB. Theres some hope I guess, but i'm not sure he's ever more than a solid DE at his ceiling.

Houston may or may not be kept, but he's still a really high end player. He just makes a lot of money.
Well we need some money right now and Houston is the biggest financial burden we have. He’s gonna have to take a significant pay cut and I don’t think he wants to.

I’d be fine with trading him to a place like Indy who has a ton of cash, recoup our 4th and signing John Simon and/or Vinny Curry.

We can’t pay $37 million next year for Houston & Ford.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:31 PM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Well we need some money right now and Houston is the biggest financial burden we have. He’s gonna have to take a significant pay cut and I don’t think he wants to.

I’d be fine with trading him to a place like Indy who has a ton of cash, recoup our 4th and signing John Simon and/or Vinny Curry.

We can’t pay $37 million next year for Houston & Ford.
How about a swap with the Bucs? They could use 3-4 OLBs with Bowles as the DC. Not sure Pierre-Paul would fit as an OLB.
[Reply]
O.city 12:38 PM 02-14-2019
How about a swap with the Bucs? They could use 3-4 OLBs with Bowles as the DC. Not sure Pierre-Paul would fit as an OLB.
That's what I'd prefer and do with Ford. Tag and trade him down there for Pierre Paul and a pick or for Levontae David.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:41 PM 02-14-2019
That's what I'd prefer and do with Ford. Tag and trade him down there for Pierre Paul and a pick or for Levontae David.
That's a lot of money to be taking on. PP is at around $14 million and David is at $9 million.
[Reply]
O.city 12:46 PM 02-14-2019
That's a lot of money to be taking on. PP is at around $14 million and David is at $9 million.
I'd be fine taking on David.

By the way I meant either or not both. Just clarifying.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:50 PM 02-14-2019
I'd be fine taking on David.

By the way I meant either or not both. Just clarifying.
Gotcha.

I think I'd be more inclined to take on Pierre-Paul....as much as I want David. I'm just not sure where the fuck our 3 LBs would play. Unless you're going to roll with David at MLB, Hitchens at WLB and DOD on the bench. We'd still need to find a SLB.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up