ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 27
« First < 91516171819 20212223 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>They are coming for the chop too
BigRedChief 06:16 PM 07-05-2020
The Kansas City Chiefs’ racist “Arrowhead Chop” has flown under the radar. Not anymore. The Kansas City Chiefs’ chant isn’t a tribute to people like me. It’s racist.

Rest of original post
Spoiler!

https://www.vox.com/first-person/202...fs-kansas-city

KC Star:
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...244153762.html

Kansas City Magazine:
https://www.kansascitymag.com/is-the...s-who-you-ask/

Twitter has its own hashtag
https://mobile.twitter.com/chopisracist

NY Times: Stop the Chop
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/s...hawk-chop.html
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 10:05 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by RedinTexas:
The funny thing is that the "activists" march around like a bunch of brownshirts chanting their slogans and encouraging violence against those with whom they disagree. They have an incredibly poor understanding of their own position on the nazi spectrum.
Slam dunk. 100% spot on.

[Reply]
Lzen 10:17 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
There were a bunch of "activists" at the complex yesterday screaming about changing the name and stopping the chop when I walked in.
Huh, that's weird. I didn't see any of that.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:20 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
How anyone could be both brainwashed and stupid enough to be offended by our team's name is beyond my comprehension.

Do these lunatics understand the real problems facing the world these days? I actually somewhat understand the Redskins issue, it was literally a racial slur. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the term Chief, and anyone who thinks there is doesn't have an IQ high enough to actively participate in a civilized society.
Personally, I'm not offended by it. I think the organization's move away from culturally appropriated imagery is smart and shows forethought, and and may save the name long-term. Dumping the chop and the war drum would be continued steps along that path.

But if there are Native Americans who say the name is offensive to them, it's also not my place to tell them their opinion is wrong, IMO.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 10:28 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
good
yeah no problem with losing either of those 2 things especially the gary glitter song
[Reply]
Lzen 10:29 AM 11-30-2022
Oh stfu
Bro, open your eyes. He's correct.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:30 AM 11-30-2022
However I wouldn't miss the chop for one second, it's tired, played out and not even original.
I agree with this. I hardly ever participate in that these days.

Am I misremembering or didn't the Chiefs say they were going to stop doing that a couple of seasons ago?
[Reply]
Mecca 10:31 AM 11-30-2022
The Kansas City Crabs
[Reply]
Lzen 10:34 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
.....But if there are Native Americans who say the name is offensive to them, it's also not my place to tell them their opinion is wrong, IMO.
The problem with this kind of thing usually is that it is just a tiny minority of people who are offended and make the biggest stink. I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of Native Americans are not offended by this and would not be on board with forcing the Chiefs to change their name.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:36 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Kansas City Crabs
shut the fuck up 31-13
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:44 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
The problem with this kind of thing usually is that it is just a tiny minority of people who are offended and make the biggest stink. I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of Native Americans are not offended by this and would not be on board with forcing the Chiefs to change their name.
That is the issue, definitely.

I would think if you're trying to make the case that "Chiefs" is an honorific, that serves the dual purpose of honoring the native peoples of the area while also alluding to Bartle for making the team happen, it is helpful to avoid having anything that can be hammered as a cultural appropriation.

So dumping the chop and even the war drum (keep the drum, make it not obviously native people inspired) is a step in that direction, IMO.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:04 AM 11-30-2022
Including native people in the drum ceremony seems to be their solution to any cultural appropriation perceptions.
[Reply]
threebag 11:14 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Kansas City Burnt Ends
Originally Posted by Woogieman:
I guarantee that would make The Star's final cut, though...and the helmet symbol would be a Charlie Podrebarac drawing of a cow
Or a fooball player in uniform holding an uzi
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:17 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Personally, I'm not offended by it. I think the organization's move away from culturally appropriated imagery is smart and shows forethought, and and may save the name long-term. Dumping the chop and the war drum would be continued steps along that path.

But if there are Native Americans who say the name is offensive to them, it's also not my place to tell them their opinion is wrong, IMO.
That's the thing, have you heard of any Native American groups speaking out against our name? I sure haven't. I did in the Redskins situation and also regarding the Cleveland Indians and their ridiculous logo, but nothing about the Chiefs, unless I've missed it.

All I've seen is a bunch of virtue signaling white people with too much time on their hands rambling about something nobody else is offended by, trying to ruin something people love to make themselves feel like they're making a difference, when in reality they are doing absolutely nothing good for the world and never will.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:19 AM 11-30-2022
It’s insulting to watch the Washington Commies… bring back the Redskins… it was a great name.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 11:21 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I agree with this. I hardly ever participate in that these days.

Am I misremembering or didn't the Chiefs say they were going to stop doing that a couple of seasons ago?
They asked people to do it with a closed fist instead of an open hand.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 27
« First < 91516171819 20212223 > Last »
Up