ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1201 of 3903
« First < 20170111011151119111971198119912001201 120212031204120512111251130117012201 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 03:49 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
OK, this helps to make sense of it a lot:

At least it's not "we played with the numbers a bunch and came up with a new answer!"
It was mentioned earlier, but there's more information in that article, yes. Some people won't believe it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:49 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
OK, this helps to make sense of it a lot:

At least it's not "we played with the numbers a bunch and came up with a new answer!"
And yet anytime a public official gets in front of a camera its "why aren't you taking this seriously!?!??

Again - they have a vested interest in saying something other than "man, we really fucked up..."

I don't see any reason to believe a word of their rationalizations at this point. They stated a presumption of effective social distancing and now they're gonna say "well our definition of 'effective' was 50% compliance..."

Uh huh...
[Reply]
Donger 03:51 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And yet anytime a public official gets in front of a camera its "why aren't you taking this seriously!?!??

Again - they have a vested interest in saying something other than "man, we really ****ed up..."

I don't see any reason to believe a word of their rationalizations at this point. They stated a presumption of effective social distancing and now they're gonna say "well our definition of 'effective' was 50% compliance..."

Uh huh...
Do you think that they used a percentage compliance figure in the models? If so, what do you think it was?

I presume that one day, we'll get the chance to see the models.
[Reply]
stumppy 03:51 PM 04-07-2020
:-)
[Reply]
TLO 03:53 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Top public health official says number of dead could be lower as Americans practice social distancing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/polit...ons/index.html
That's good to hear.
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:55 PM 04-07-2020

Again - they have a vested interest in saying something other than "man, we really fucked up..."

Uh huh...
Well of course we complied after you fuckers scared the holy shit out of us.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:57 PM 04-07-2020
Do you think that they used a percentage compliance figure in the models? If so, what do you think it was?

I presume that one day, we'll get the chance to see the models.
Honestly? No, I really don't think they did. Because if so, explain how their 4/1 update was STILL so far off. They already saw what efforts had been undertaken and the models were still dart throws.

I think they worked backwards from raw data derived from Italy, Spain and China. And I think we already know that the trash Imperial College model was based on a SARS and MERS model that idiot Ferguson recycled - I think the IMHE piggy backed on that piece of crap and tried to smash it together with Italy data (as the most transparent source of information available) and other datapoints emerging from Western Europe.

I cannot overstate enough how badly I think this people fucked this thing up. I think you could've given an upper level stats class this assignment and they'd have come up with better models than this.

I cannot convince myself that any intelligent people actually started a clean sheet analysis of this and came up with these pieces of shit, no. These were recycled and reverse engineered models that they were trying to rush to to the press so they could be the first to get their names out there. They're complete tripe and all of these excuses are just attempts to rehab what should be a far more shattered reputation than they seem to be suffering.

The fact that anyone takes anything they say at face value right now demonstrates how little attention they paid to how wrong these jackasses were.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:57 PM 04-07-2020
:-)

Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy told reporters today he's shooting for a May 1 restart. "We can swab them and clear them to come into the building and get back to work."

— Brian Davis (@BDavisAAS) April 7, 2020

[Reply]
TLO 03:57 PM 04-07-2020
Dr. Fauci just said there was a large disparity in covid impacting black people, as they tend to have higher numbers of things such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. There seems to be other factors at play here too that they are investigating.

The president mentioned a rate of "3x to 4x". Unsure of what he's referencing.
[Reply]
TLO 04-07-2020, 04:01 PM
This message has been deleted by TLO.
TLO 04:17 PM 04-07-2020
I don't want this to be political, as I have no political agenda here... but the president is talking about freezing funding to the WHO at some point.
[Reply]
Donger 04:19 PM 04-07-2020
Honestly? No, I really don't think they did. Because if so, explain how their 4/1 update was STILL so far off. They already saw what efforts had been undertaken and the models were still dart throws.

I think they worked backwards from raw data derived from Italy, Spain and China. And I think we already know that the trash Imperial College model was based on a SARS and MERS model that idiot Ferguson recycled - I think the IMHE piggy backed on that piece of crap and tried to smash it together with Italy data (as the most transparent source of information available) and other datapoints emerging from Western Europe.

I cannot overstate enough how badly I think this people ****ed this thing up. I think you could've given an upper level stats class this assignment and they'd have come up with better models than this.

I cannot convince myself that any intelligent people actually started a clean sheet analysis of this and came up with these pieces of shit, no. These were recycled and reverse engineered models that they were trying to rush to to the press so they could be the first to get their names out there. They're complete tripe and all of these excuses are just attempts to rehab what should be a far more shattered reputation than they seem to be suffering.

The fact that anyone takes anything they say at face value right now demonstrates how little attention they paid to how wrong these jackasses were.
How could they not have made some assumption? Social distancing is one of the most important mitigation efforts used to fight this thing. That doesn't make any sense to me.

As to your question, I presume because they either didn't have this 90% compliance revision on 4/1, or did and simply hadn't run the model with that revised percentage. It doesn't have to be nefarious. You seem to think it is. What's the motivation for them to do so?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:23 PM 04-07-2020
Top public health official says number of dead could be lower as Americans practice social distancing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/polit...ons/index.html
Was told doing this was a waste of time hmm
[Reply]
Bob Dole 04:32 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I don't want this to be political, as I have no political agenda here... but the president is talking about freezing funding to the WHO at some point.
Good. Complete waste of money.
[Reply]
Donger 04:35 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Was told doing this was a waste of time hmm
Who told you that social distancing was a waste of time?
[Reply]
petegz28 04:37 PM 04-07-2020

I cannot overstate enough how badly I think this people ****ed this thing up. I think you could've given an upper level stats class this assignment and they'd have come up with better models than this.

The part I don't get that I still keep hearing "it's coming...". The virus has hit every freaking state already. Kansas has been locked down just as long as NY has. CA was locked down before NY, etc., etc. NY\NJ are skewing the numbers tremendously and for obvious reasons for the most part. But what I don't get is people saying to the "rest of the country" that just wait, "it's coming" meaning the numbers in other states are going to spike. Like it's some sort of insect making it's way across the country. Or some army marching along.

When I hear people say that it makes me wonder if they realize all the other states for the most part are already taking steps to mitigate? So if the virus is already in Kansas and Kansas has been taken mitigation steps for going on 3 weeks now you have to ask yourself, if the worst is still yet to come then WTF did we lock down for the last 3 weeks? Kinda comes off like "psyche! It wasn't your turn yet!"
[Reply]
Page 1201 of 3903
« First < 20170111011151119111971198119912001201 120212031204120512111251130117012201 > Last »
Up