ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1111 of 3903
« First < 11161110111061110111071108110911101111 111211131114111511211161121116112111 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 09:57 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It's not a random sample. It's a sample of one of the hardest hit places on Earth in people who are healthy enough to qualify as blood donors. We don't know the gender split, age range, or underlying demographics of this group at all.
I would assume just being able to donate in that area would be pretty random but without knowing the specifics it’s hard to say
[Reply]
O.city 09:58 PM 04-04-2020
Is there a chance the Ro is like 4.5 or 5 and it was just passed along with all the asymptomatic people for a while and we didn’t know what we were actually looking at these past few months?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:08 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I would assume just being able to donate in that area would be pretty random but without knowing the specifics it’s hard to say
That's not really randomness, though. This is really just a series of case reports. No control groups, no randomization process, very small sample size in the area with the highest density of cases on Earth (over 60 percent of Italy's deaths are in Lombardy). And that's all assuming the data itself is accurate (haven't seen it reported elsewhere).
[Reply]
AustinChief 10:09 PM 04-04-2020
If it's that contagious the growth in hospitalizations would have started sooner, and it's unlikely so many healthcare workers would have fallen ill and died because the mortality rate would be extremely low.
There are a few models that fit the current reality by increasing the R0 and decreasing mortality rates. Regarding healthcare workers, I'm not sure what the actual numbers there are. We hear sensationalized media reports but I really haven't seen any hard numbers. As was pointed out, viral dosage can play a huge role as well. That alone could account for a higher mortality rate among health care workers.

Too many unknowns still, it would be a very good start for us to get random serology testing rolled out.

(and yes the Italian report is not very random at all)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:11 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
This goes right back to the testing discussion. Even if half of America has already had it and is immune right now, we're never going to know. It's a legit issue. People who know they've had it and are now fine are going to act a lot of different than the people who've had it, don't know it and will spend the next 4-5 months behaving like someone who doesn't want to catch it.
how are we supposed to move on without testing? It’s one thing to not know how many people have it right now, who’s died from it before testing began but, we need millions of tests before we can get out of the mitigation phase and at least try to be pro-active and get in front of this virus. Waiting for a cure, vaccine is not an option.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:18 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Is there a chance the Ro is like 4.5 or 5 and it was just passed along with all the asymptomatic people for a while and we didn’t know what we were actually looking at these past few months?
Highly doubtful if you look at excess deaths in some of the regions of Italy. Bergamo was something like +450%, and many others were +250-280%. Anything that causes deaths to be that much higher than baseline with an average symptomatic onset of a few days and death within 8-14 days would have been causing deaths sooner (and a massive increase in hospitalizations as well).

In addition to R0, there is also the serial interval, which is the measurement of how long it takes someone to transmit the disease to everyone they infect, which is somewhere around 5 days according to a paper in NEJM.

If you have an R of 5 with a serial interval of 5, then after three generations a single person will have infected, on average, 125 people after 15 days and 15625 people after 30 days. That seems...high.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:20 PM 04-04-2020
I'm with HJ on this. If that many people already had it and no one noticed, then how do you explain the huge spike in deaths NYC is going through?

Either NYC shouldn't be spiking now or other places should have seen death rates spike.

It would be great news if true but I'm not buying.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:21 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
There are a few models that fit the current reality by increasing the R0 and decreasing mortality rates. Regarding healthcare workers, I'm not sure what the actual numbers there are. We hear sensationalized media reports but I really haven't seen any hard numbers. As was pointed out, viral dosage can play a huge role as well. That alone could account for a higher mortality rate among health care workers.

Too many unknowns still, it would be a very good start for us to get random serology testing rolled out.

(and yes the Italian report is not very random at all)
We don't really know if viral dosage plays a role or not. That's an operating hypothesis, but it's not definitive.

Regarding healthcare workers, over 60 physicians in Italy have died of COVID-19. Of those, about 38% were GPs and would not have been performing intubations or other aerosolizing procedures that would induce a large viral load into the air, which potentially complicates the theory that initial viral load determines your clinical course.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:23 PM 04-04-2020
If it's that contagious the growth in hospitalizations would have started sooner, and it's unlikely so many healthcare workers would have fallen ill and died because the mortality rate would be extremely low.
I was thinking the same thing but this could partially explain that point away...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...us/ar-BB122vLd

Evidently health care workers and others getting very sick may be due to the amount of virus they’re being exposed to...
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:25 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I'm with HJ on this. If that many people already had it and no one noticed, then how do you explain the huge spike in deaths NYC is going through?

Either NYC shouldn't be spiking now or other places should have seen death rates spike.

It would be great news if true but I'm not buying.
I think the bottom line is anyone hoping for some quick miracle fix to this should watch a movie. It is simply going to take time for us to beat this which is why it is so important we practice social distancing so the peak isn't as bad as it could be because there is simply no way to stop this anytime soon we can only slow it down.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 10:26 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I think the bottom line is anyone hoping for some quick miracle fix to this should watch a movie. It is simply going to take time for us to beat this which is why it is so important we practice social distancing so the peak isn't really bad because there is simply no way to stop this anytime soon we can only slow it down.
^
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:28 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
I was thinking the same thing but this could partially explain that point away...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...us/ar-BB122vLd

Evidently health care workers and others getting very sick may be due to the amount of virus they’re being exposed to...
It's certainly possible, and honestly likely, but it's not a certainty. The article you referenced makes very good points about higher levels of inoculation leading to worse outcomes, but there are also places where it couches its language around that, avoiding absolutism.

It's an operating hypothesis, but not definitive.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:31 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I think the bottom line is anyone hoping for some quick miracle fix to this should watch a movie. It is simply going to take time for us to beat this which is why it is so important we practice social distancing so the peak isn't really bad because there is simply no way to stop this anytime soon we can only slow it down.
Hoping this wouldn’t be the solution but agree that half measures aren’t going to accomplish much to solve the long-term issues.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:32 PM 04-04-2020
It's certainly possible, and honestly likely, but it's not a certainty. The article you referenced makes very good points about higher levels of inoculation leading to worse outcomes, but there are also places where it couches its language around that, avoiding absolutism.

It's an operating hypothesis, but not definitive.
It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s correct, but you’re right that we just don’t know.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:34 PM 04-04-2020

NEW: Florida officials knew as early as 2005 that a coronavirus-like pandemic could devastate the state. So they prepared for it like never before.

Then, state leaders cut. And cut again. And cut some more.

Story by @_neilbedi and I. https://t.co/mq8iVrDsHW

— Steve Contorno (@scontorno) April 4, 2020

[Reply]
Page 1111 of 3903
« First < 11161110111061110111071108110911101111 111211131114111511211161121116112111 > Last »
Up