ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 39
« First < 263233343536 373839 >
Media Center>Robert Pattinson... is Batman.
Mephistopheles Janx 11:06 PM 05-16-2019
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/r...cs-1203125473/

Fucking hell... DC is garbage.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:06 PM 04-27-2022
Yea, a lot of the complaints I see about this movie seem to have one theme.

Misunderstanding.
[Reply]
Talisman 08:29 AM 04-28-2022
Originally Posted by sully1983:
IMHO I gotta disagree with the notion that this Batman "didn't accomplish anything ". That couldn't be farther from the truth. He saved plenty of lives in this film (him risking his life to save that little boy life from a car running him over. In The Batman,Bruce Wayne is only in year 2 of being Batman and is still "wet behind the ears" and inexperienced / just getting used to the role of being Batman, so of course he wouldn't be some seasoned detective/ crime fighter. He is flawed to the core and beyond ****ed in the head. The use of the word "emo" to describe Pattinson's take of Bruce Wayne just doesn't sit right with me. Anyone that identifies as an emo wouldn't have the balls to fight for any sort of justice.

Also, your criticism of this Batman being "used" like a pawn by the Riddler is definitely true. But imo that was the director's point. The Riddler had been planning all that horrible shit from the get go (you can definitely tell Matt Reeves was heavily influenced by Nolan's The Dark Knight where the Joker was 10 steps ahead of Bale's Batman and the entire Gotham police force. )

I look forward to the sequel!
I was trying to remember the part where Batman saved a boy from getting hit by a car and then I realized you were talking about the funeral where Bruce Wayne did it. Semantics, but another mark for "Batman" not accomplishing much.

I get that The Riddler using him was part of the overall plot and plan. It's been done before in a number of movies where our hero doesn't realize he's being used and the bad guy is one step ahead. It's just that normally, the hero bests the villain by the end of the movie (or you wait for a year for End Game to come out). In this case Batman didn't even catch the guy. He just gave himself up. But I guess if you're going to steal most of Kevin Spacey's character from Seven, might as well keep the part where he basically turns himself in to finish his plan from custody.

Overall, it wasn't bad. Just flawed. I too look forward to the sequel. Like you said, it was set early in Batman's crime fighting career, so we'll see what the next one brings.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:03 AM 04-28-2022
It's an interesting conversation and I can see where you're coming from.

It reminds me of some debates I used to have with a group of friends who didn't like Spider-Man and Superman because they were "always getting their ass beat". Like they aren't cool superheroes with good movies because they don't just come in, kick ass and go home every time they're on screen.

Personally, I enjoy my heroes facing some adversity.

This is a young Batman still learning how to be a hero. The Riddler's whole deal is that he's super intelligent. It stands to reason that he'd be way ahead of Batman this whole movie.
[Reply]
sully1983 12:08 PM 04-28-2022
Originally Posted by Talisman:
I was trying to remember the part where Batman saved a boy from getting hit by a car and then I realized you were talking about the funeral where Bruce Wayne did it. Semantics, but another mark for "Batman" not accomplishing much.

I get that The Riddler using him was part of the overall plot and plan. It's been done before in a number of movies where our hero doesn't realize he's being used and the bad guy is one step ahead. It's just that normally, the hero bests the villain by the end of the movie (or you wait for a year for End Game to come out). In this case Batman didn't even catch the guy. He just gave himself up. But I guess if you're going to steal most of Kevin Spacey's character from Seven, might as well keep the part where he basically turns himself in to finish his plan from custody.

Overall, it wasn't bad. Just flawed. I too look forward to the sequel. Like you said, it was set early in Batman's crime fighting career, so we'll see what the next one brings.
+1 for referencing my favorite film of all time that is Se7en:-)

And I definitely agree with ya that The Batman is flawed (could have done without the Riddler copy cats near the finale of the film.)

I did really like how this Batman was beating himself up thru out the movie (mentally ) realizing how the Riddler outsmarted him. While he didn't care about dying, he was incredibly vulnerable with what was going on around him.

Similar to transformation & character development of the lead ape Caesar(played brilliantly by Andy Serkis) in those Planet of the Apes sequels that were directed by Matt Reeves, I have no doubt Pattinson's Batman/Bruce Wayne will be further developed in a great way.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:58 AM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Wow. You just linked an article showing The Batman, DC's most popular property, just crossed $700m. It's long run out of juice and won't sniff $1B.

Meanwhile Spider-Man: No Way Home nearly hit $2B lol

The Eternals and Shang-Chi both crossed the $400m mark. Literally no one even gives a shit about those characters and Batman couldn't even double their numbers.

You really think this measly $700m with DC's best fucking character is proof of DC getting its shit together?
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
How about reviews? Would that show that fans liked it since you want to ignore The Batman is the highest-grossing show of the year in only 45 days of release?

Huge hit on Rotton Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_batman

Now it is killing it on HBO.

https://movieweb.com/the-batman-hbo-max-debut-numbers/

So yeah- my original post stating that DC looks to be on the uptrend as Disney is mired in "wokeness" stands.
Just as I suspected, Strange 2 crossed $450 million globally in its opening weekend. The Batman only hit $270 globally in its opening weekend.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...ce-1235261478/

Originally Posted by :
The second “Doctor Strange” film, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the goatee-rocking sorcerer, generated $185 million in North America over the weekend, bringing its global tally to a massive $450 million.
A Marvel C-lister is outperforming DC's A-lister.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 09:09 AM 05-10-2022
Finally saw this last week. Decent film. I enjoyed it, but didn't feel like it was anything great.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 11:27 AM 05-10-2022
Just as I suspected, Strange 2 crossed $450 million globally in its opening weekend. The Batman only hit $270 globally in its opening weekend.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...ce-1235261478/

A Marvel C-lister is outperforming DC's A-lister.
That has more to do with Marvel spending the past 10+ years of putting out a majority of above average films while DC can't get its shit together past the Dark Knight Series and has only produced a handful of decent or good movies (Joker, MoS, Aquaman, WW, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, The Batman).

Everything else has been mid or bad. Honestly, if they didn't **** up Batman vs Superman so bad, I think we'd have a different discussion on comparing Batman vs MCU in terms of $.

But yes, in terms of citing wokeness as to why DC would surpass Marvel is incredibly fucking stupid. DC won't pass Marvel anytime soon in terms of $$$ at theaters until they get their shit together and figure out WTF they're doing.

I think they should be fine if they don't try to rush creating a universe again and keep the WW, Aquaman, Batman entities separate.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 11:46 AM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
That has more to do with Marvel spending the past 10+ years of putting out a majority of above average films while DC can't get its shit together past the Dark Knight Series and has only produced a handful of decent or good movies (Joker, MoS, Aquaman, WW, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, The Batman).

Everything else has been mid or bad. Honestly, if they didn't **** up Batman vs Superman so bad, I think we'd have a different discussion on comparing Batman vs MCU in terms of $.

But yes, in terms of citing wokeness as to why DC would surpass Marvel is incredibly ****ing stupid. DC won't pass Marvel anytime soon in terms of $$$ at theaters until they get their shit together and figure out WTF they're doing.

I think they should be fine if they don't try to rush creating a universe again and keep the WW, Aquaman, Batman entities separate.
The "go woke go broke" crowd only works if you ignore all of the "woke" movies that make a shit ton of money.

It's more like "make shitty movies" go broke.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:12 PM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
But yes, in terms of citing wokeness as to why DC would surpass Marvel is incredibly fucking stupid. DC won't pass Marvel anytime soon in terms of $$$ at theaters until they get their shit together and figure out WTF they're doing.
This is all that needs to be said.

I don't give a shit about this superhero vs that superhero, I don't give a shit about Marvel vs DC, I don't give a shit about Disney policies.

I only wanted to highlight how fucking stupid Halfcan and the "wOkE" crowd's argument is.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:16 PM 05-10-2022
I just can't imagine making the "Disney is on the decline from going woke" argument literally a month after Spider-Man hit $2 billion. Now we see Strange 2 reaching $450 million globally in its first four days while Batman only hit $270 million in its first four days. It was a stupid fucking argument then and it's a stupid fucking argument now.

The fact of the matter is, these dipshits are not nearly as powerful as they think they are. These fuckers were crying about the kneeling a few years back and now they're crying about something about Disney (I still don't even know what..). The NFL is bigger and more popular now than it's ever been and same thing with Disney.

I'd just really enjoy coming into one of these threads without these fuckers cocking it up with their anti-woke bullshit. Nobody cares, just shut the fuck up and enjoy the movie!
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:50 PM 05-10-2022
Some people just can't handle different opinions appearing in a thread.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 01:24 PM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Some people just can't handle different opinions appearing in a thread.
Except Halfcan's opinion is literally without merit given that MCU movies are still wiping the floor with DC in the box office.

Majority of people will spend their money and not boycott a movie if they think it's good.

You and Halfcan can take your shit back to DC(the forum).

Which if Halfcan's talking about wokeness, the character of Catwoman in The Batman is a social class critique-specifically the ending of the movie (!).

DC movies for the most part have been dog shit because Warner Bros. has interfered heavily and wanted to rush the launch of Justice League. Their movies are fine when they focus on individual characters. Joker, The Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman are all good movies. Why? Because they just focus on the leads and nothing else.

Marvel, on the other hand, has brilliantly built out its universe over the past 14 years. There's no fair way for DC to compete unless Marvel botches or ceases production.

DC still kicks Marvel's ass in animation, for big screen, it's so far behind. And Marvel being woke has nothing to do with that.

Jesus fucking Christ you guys like to bitch about nothing.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:44 PM 05-10-2022
I just can't imagine making the "Disney is on the decline from going woke" argument literally a month after Spider-Man hit $2 billion. Now we see Strange 2 reaching $450 million globally in its first four days while Batman only hit $270 million in its first four days. It was a stupid fucking argument then and it's a stupid fucking argument now.

The fact of the matter is, these dipshits are not nearly as powerful as they think they are. These fuckers were crying about the kneeling a few years back and now they're crying about something about Disney (I still don't even know what..). The NFL is bigger and more popular now than it's ever been and same thing with Disney.

I'd just really enjoy coming into one of these threads without these fuckers cocking it up with their anti-woke bullshit. Nobody cares, just shut the fuck up and enjoy the movie!

Spider man is Sony.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:49 PM 05-10-2022
Frankly I preferred the last Batman to all the Marvel stuff. Tired of the superpowers/gods/aliens overload.

But I'm an old fart, and clearly not part of Marvel's target demographic. I know I'm in the minority. Don't care.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:29 PM 05-12-2022
It wasn't as bad as Clooney's version.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 39
« First < 263233343536 373839 >
Up