ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 57
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
lewdog 06:12 PM 06-02-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
LOL. On sale was it? Heh.

Might as well keep it as a house plant by the sunniest window. Perfect your PH and alkaline leveling, pruning, etc. This is your pilot grow.
You know this Jew loves sales!!!

Can't keep in the house. The cat eats EVERYTHING with leaves, fake shit included.

She's retarded.

Next option.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:13 PM 06-02-2017
Go for it. See what happens. It won't last inside. Fruit flowers need that sun. As a fruit, you should know that.

Goes without saying, water frequently. Which raises your risk of screwy alkaline and PH.

My first grow was a disaster but I learned a lot.
You post changing son of a bitch!!!!
[Reply]
eDave 09:18 PM 06-02-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Did not know that about mixing it. I do plan to have about 1/3 peat moss in the pot though. I'll add the sulfur to the top few inches like you suggest.

Planting some cheap and "weed like" Vinca flowers along my pool fence today. My red Mexican bird of paradise is finally going into full bloom near the backside of my yard. Adds some height to the smaller plants in front and finally looks nice.
Missed this part. Take into account that peat lowers your PH a tad as well. Might actually be enough, depending on the potting soil you use. In addition, to really drive the roots down and out, don't water till the leaves begin to wilt a little. This means they have gone as far as they can go for water. Keep doing that and the roots will dig. This only works with a deep pot that won't dry out uniformly with the upper soil. Roots will seek out moisture. Root grow helps but not much.
[Reply]
lewdog 11:30 AM 06-03-2017
Some more questions for eDave in this post. Good stuff you're providing. And those in DC don't think you know shit?!?!

First, the small gardening job I did yesterday. Vincas along the pool fence, opposite side from my rose bushes. My new blueberry bush on the far left just for the pictures sake.

Now for the questions. Which side of the yard and pot type to put the blueberry bush in?

This is the wall on the West side of the yard. Sun from morning until about 2 pm when it gets shade from wall and palm trees from neighbors. Would put pot right next to pepper plant in this picture.

Or wall on opposite side of yard? This is the wall on the east side of the yard. Morning shade (picture taken around 10 a.m.) with this spot receiving full blast sun the rest of the day. Pot would go next to that cactus (called dessert spoon).

What size of pot? This pot is 18 inches wide but only 13 inches deep. I take it this isn't deep enough?

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:07 PM 06-03-2017
Is your blueberry a self-pollinating? The ones I've seen around here have to have another variety for cross-pollination.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:30 PM 06-03-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Is your blueberry a self-pollinating? The ones I've seen around here have to have another variety for cross-pollination.
This one says self pollinating. "Misty" variety. I do read that even self pollinators can benefit from another variety. I personally wanna see if this one makes it first.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:52 PM 06-03-2017
Some more questions for eDave in this post. Good stuff you're providing. And those in DC don't think you know shit?!?!

First, the small gardening job I did yesterday. Vincas along the pool fence, opposite side from my rose bushes. My new blueberry bush on the far left just for the pictures sake.

Now for the questions. Which side of the yard and pot type to put the blueberry bush in?

This is the wall on the West side of the yard. Sun from morning until about 2 pm when it gets shade from wall and palm trees from neighbors. Would put pot right next to pepper plant in this picture.

Or wall on opposite side of yard? This is the wall on the east side of the yard. Morning shade (picture taken around 10 a.m.) with this spot receiving full blast sun the rest of the day. Pot would go next to that cactus (called dessert spoon).

What size of pot? This pot is 18 inches wide but only 13 inches deep. I take it this isn't deep enough?

Have you considered honeysuckle for the wall? If not, it might be something to consider. And the aroma is amazing..
[Reply]
lewdog 02:57 PM 06-03-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Have you considered honeysuckle for the wall? If not, it might be something to consider. And the aroma is amazing..
We have 3 Cape Honeysuckles bushes in the front yard. They grow big and have bright orange flowers. Not super aromatic though. Regular honeysuckle like you're thinking of doesn't tolerate the heat well here.

These grow nice and big here though. Both of ours are 6' tall (not my picture).

And honestly, after this blueberry pot, I am pretty much content with our landscape and plants for now. The yard is pretty full.
:-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:33 PM 06-03-2017
We have 3 Cape Honeysuckles bushes in the front yard. They grow big and have bright orange flowers. Not super aromatic though. Regular honeysuckle like you're thinking of doesn't tolerate the heat well here.

And honestly, after this blueberry pot, I am pretty much content with our landscape and plants for now. The yard is pretty full. :-)
Ah, we have (had...) three rhododendron under the front window, and somehow a colony of yellow jackets got into the roots of one and it's all but dead. Perhaps the yellow jackets nested underground because the one was dying. IDK, but I've got my thinking cap on about what to put in, and honeysuckle was one idea. I just need a bush, hopefully that flowers a lot all summer long, that doesn't grow taller the 4 feet, I don't want to block the window.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:38 PM 06-03-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Ah, we have (had...) three rhododendron under the front window, and somehow a colony of yellow jackets got into the roots of one and it's all but dead. Perhaps the yellow jackets nested underground because the one was dying. IDK, but I've got my thinking cap on about what to put in, and honeysuckle was one idea. I just need a bush, hopefully that flowers a lot all summer long, that doesn't grow taller the 4 feet, I don't want to block the window.

Camellia?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:41 PM 06-03-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Camellia?
It's on the list, along with the possibility of some azalea bushes.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:52 PM 06-03-2017

And honestly, after this blueberry pot, I am pretty much content with our landscape and plants for now. The yard is pretty full.
:-)
Spent an hour today trying to clean out honeysuckle that is strangling the pampas grass. Finally got cut up enough I had to quit for the day.
[Reply]
eDave 06:11 PM 06-03-2017
Lewdog - Looking good. Yea, that pot is not deep enough. It's OK for now but should be transplanted next year. And put in where it will not get shaded at all.
[Reply]
PHOG 06:31 PM 06-03-2017
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
Spent an hour today trying to clean out honeysuckle that is strangling the pampas grass. Finally got cut up enough I had to quit for the day.
We heard it was very tough to get rid of honeysuckle, but with my green thumb, anything is possible. Took 2 yrs.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:36 PM 06-03-2017
Lewdog - Looking good. Yea, that pot is not deep enough. It's OK for now but should be transplanted next year. And put in where it will not get shaded at all.
I've got some Gezenia flowers in that pot. Was just gauging size.

I'll get a bigger pot tomorrow and place on east wall by that cactus then. No shade there!
[Reply]
Page 18 of 57
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Up