ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 57
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
wutamess 12:09 PM 05-30-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
What length are you guys mowing your grass at, I just jumped from 3" to 3.5", next week going to 4". The heat will be coming soon, I want to choke out any remaining weeds and let the lawn shade itself as much as possible. As a plus, I love the look of the taller grass after edging.

On a side note, just pulled poison ivy out of a bush wearing gloves, still managed to brush some across my arms. Washed them twice, hope I don't break out, I hate that crap.
http://tobytobin.com/monthly-tips/
[Reply]
lewdog 02:35 PM 06-02-2017
Anyone here grow Blueberries before?

I know they love acidic soil, which mean they are a container plant in AZ due to alkaline soil here. I bought a bush variety that grows well here from reports.

What's the best way to get/buy acidic soil? I didn't see much at Lowe's outside of just adding sulfur to regular potting soil.
[Reply]
eDave 02:40 PM 06-02-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I know they love acidic soil, which mean they are a container plant in AZ due to alkaline soil here. I bought a bush variety that grows well here from reports.

What's the best way to get/buy acidic soil? I didn't see much at Lowe's outside of just adding sulfur to regular potting soil.
Blueberries require low PH. Thus the acidic soil to keep that low. There are acidic fertilizers available. Add it to the top of the soil. Don't mix it or your soil will be too "hot"
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:43 PM 06-02-2017

I plan on blueberry and raspberry bushes next year all along my fence on the western side. Blueberries grow great in this part of Florida. We pick a few towns over but I want my own. I'm just gonna hire someone who knows how to do it.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:44 PM 06-02-2017
Anyone ever grow currents? I want just one small currant plant or bush or whatever it grows on. Can't get fresh ones here around Christmas. I like to use it as a garnish.
[Reply]
eDave 02:49 PM 06-02-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Anyone ever grow currents? I want just one small currant plant or bush or whatever it grows on. Can't get fresh ones here around Christmas. I like to use it as a garnish.
In Florida, you will want some shade on them. Expect first harvest after a year or more. Prune to fill it out and maximize yield. Deep root system helps a lot so allow for that.

Otherwise, they are really easy to raise. You've got the humidity they love but you are too warm. This the shade.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:52 PM 06-02-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
In Florida, you will want some shade on them. Expect first harvest after a year or more. Prune to fill it out and maximize yield. Deep root system helps a lot so allow for that.

Otherwise, they are really easy to raise. You've got the humidity they love but you are too warm. This the shade.
I read that my zone is fine for them if grown at a certain time of year. I want the berries to be there around Christmas.
I'm not as far south as Miami. It can get to 30° here in winter but it's usually just a few days total.

It reminded me about grape tomatoes better to grow in summer but bigger ones in fall and winter.
[Reply]
eDave 06-02-2017, 02:57 PM
This message has been deleted by eDave.
eDave 02:59 PM 06-02-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I read that my zone is fine for them if grown a certain time of year? I'm not as far south as Miami. It can get to 30° here in winter but it's usually just a few days total.

It reminded me about grape tomatoes better to grow in summer but bigger ones in fall and winter.
They require full sun in cooler, humid areas with plenty of summer rain. I would think Florida is OK as they flower very early spring.

The do best in the Northwest and Midwest actually. They are tough though so soil can vary. But keep your PH between 5.5 and 7.0. The leaves will tell you how to regulate accordingly. Ensure you have good drainage as well.

I would think you can raise/lower PH by adding adjustments straight to your watering system. I use 1g milk jugs with holes punched in the tops. Easy measuring.

Great choice for a fence line BEP.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:51 PM 06-02-2017
Blueberries require low PH. Thus the acidic soil to keep that low. There are acidic fertilizers available. Add it to the top of the soil. Don't mix it or your soil will be too "hot"
Did not know that about mixing it. I do plan to have about 1/3 peat moss in the pot though. I'll add the sulfur to the top few inches like you suggest.

Planting some cheap and "weed like" Vinca flowers along my pool fence today. My red Mexican bird of paradise is finally going into full bloom near the backside of my yard. Adds some height to the smaller plants in front and finally looks nice.
[Reply]
eDave 03:54 PM 06-02-2017
Did not know that about mixing it. I do plan to have about 1/3 peat moss in the pot though. I'll add the sulfur to the top few inches like you suggest.

Planting some cheap and "weed like" Vinca flowers along my pool fence today. My red Mexican bird of paradise is finally going into full bloom near the backside of my yard. Adds some height to the smaller plants in front and finally looks nice.
You need drainage too so the roots are sitting is a pool of acid. Doesn't take much to fuck up PH. I assume you know this as a pool owner.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 04:39 PM 06-02-2017
Miracle-Gro makes a plant food called Mir Acid that can be used on blueberries etc. It's a water-soluble that you use when watering. Peat will also do a good job acidifying soil. We use cotton burr compost to lighten and acidify soil.

With all this wet weather I have an unusually high number of slugs and snails all over the yard. I use Sluggo for my containers and beds but really don't want to sprinkle it all over the yard. Any suggestions?

KChiefs1, you're doing an awesome job!
[Reply]
lewdog 05:44 PM 06-02-2017
You need drainage too so the roots are sitting is a pool of acid. Doesn't take much to fuck up PH. I assume you know this as a pool owner.
How big of a pot does this thing need? Can it tolerate full Phoenix sun all year in the yard?
[Reply]
eDave 05:59 PM 06-02-2017
How big of a pot does this thing need? Can it tolerate full Phoenix sun all year in the yard?
First of all. DO NOT LET YOUR ROOTS SIT IN A POOL OF ACID.

I a word there.

The only thing hindering you in AZ is that we live in Zone 9 so the soil sucks butt, as you mention. Blueberries need FULL sun. They love that shit man. Ironically, they grow best in a sandy soil. Mulch is really the way to go. Your biggest risk is the PH and alkalinity, which is big in AZ. Beyond that, they are low maintenance.

Plant them in January, which is their dormant period. By spring, they will pop pretty good.

Read up on pruning for best yield. If you want to drive the roots down, prune the flowers during year one. You can go with a 12 inch pot for the first year or two. Then go on up to 24. Depth is what you really want.

You are going to want to protect them from birds when they start to bare fruit. Birds love blueberries.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:04 PM 06-02-2017
First of all. DO NOT LET YOUR ROOTS SIT IN A POOL OF ACID.

I a word there.

The only thing hindering you in AZ is the soil, as you mention. Blueberries need FULL sun. They love that shit man. Ironically, they grow best in a sandy soil. Mulch is really the way to go. Your biggest risk is the PH and alkalinity, which is big in AZ. Beyond that, they are low maintenance.

Plant them in January, which is their dormant period. By spring, they will pop pretty good.

Read up on pruning for best yield. If you want to drive the roots down, prune the flowers during year one. You can go with a 12 inch pot for the first year or two. Then go on up to 24. Depth is what you really want.

You are going to want to protect them from birds when they start to bare fruit. Birds love blueberries.
Yea, I am having to protect my grapes from those fucking birds right now.

So um.......what do I do with the $10 Misty Blueberry plant I bought today.....in June........? Just keep it in the small container for now and transplant to pot in winter? I'll probably just roll with an 18 inch pot or maybe even a whiskey barrel to start. I don't want to have to plant it more than once.
[Reply]
eDave 06:09 PM 06-02-2017
Yea, I am having to protect my grapes from those ****ing birds right now.

So um.......what do I do with the $10 Misty Blueberry plant I bought today.....in June........? Just keep it in the small container for now and transplant to pot in winter? I'll probably just roll with an 18 inch pot or maybe even a whiskey barrel to start. I don't want to have to plant it more than once.
Go for it. See what happens. It won't last inside. Fruit flowers need that sun. As a fruit, you should know that.

Goes without saying, you will need to water more frequently. Which raises your risk of screwy alkaline and PH.

My first grow was a disaster but I learned a lot.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 57
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Up