ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 57
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
lewdog 07:57 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
It's a bee garden, so flowers only.
Fuck, I can't read. I like the look of it with the fence actually.

Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Lawn guy came by and put fertilizer down last Sunday. Then it rained. Now the grass is starting to grow and I'm going to have to fucking mow it soon. I want winter back.
:-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:02 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Fuck, I can't read. I like the look of it with the fence actually.

:-)

We thought it turned out well. Kinda "cute".
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:06 PM 04-14-2017
The Hibiscus are loving this weather. 20+ blooms on this one plant.

Get a chameleon. They love hibiscus. We have slightly different perennial hibiscus varieties in the colder climate but they really do bloom like crazy.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:10 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Get a chameleon. They love hibiscus. We have slightly different perennial hibiscus varieties in the colder climate but they really do bloom like crazy.
Chameleon's don't do well here. Too hot. I get tons of lizards running around though. Love those things.

I think yellow and whitish varieties grow well in other places. It's too hot for many of those to make it through a summer here. I've lost a few pink Hibiscus plants in the heat of summer, but the red ones grow amazing here and bloom most of the year.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:01 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Is there anyway we can shoot the moon or create a mountain range in central Kansas that will make Johnson County into an arid wasteland like Phx, Las Vegas etc? I don't want grass or to fuck with my yard.
FUCK YES! I'd be on the OTHER side of the rain shadow. It will be the cornbelt up in this bitch, but you will have to take the Rockies down.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 10:35 PM 04-14-2017
We've sold our house and our dog over the winter was peeing on the lawn. I bought some grass patch stuff at Lowe's but it grows weak, thin grass. Plus the seed grows grass that's a lighter green than our lawn, we have a thick sod that's a darker green. I'm thinking of going to Grass Pad and asking for the right seed (not sure what I would ask for, any ideas?) and some topsoil and patch the yellow spots myself.

thoughts?
[Reply]
TinyEvel 10:37 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Lawn guy came by and put fertilizer down last Sunday. Then it rained. Now the grass is starting to grow and I'm going to have to ****ing mow it soon. I want winter back.
Just get a mower trailer and attach it to your fat tire bike.
[Reply]
Nickhead 11:33 PM 04-15-2017
so i have a really slow work in progress regarding covered gardening. i've had to do most everything by myself, with some assistance when i can't. i have laid out an area of about 25 feet squared with corner posts and lattice. the garden is overgrown at the moment from all the rain we have had, and really i do not expect anything to come from it from here till next spring.

my most recent add on is trying to build a pvc green house roof over one section of the garden.

when i get the clear tarps attached to the pvc, it will be put into place, then lined on the sides with green house panels i saved from the shit greenhouse frame i bought six years ago.

so here are two pics that give you an idea of what i am doing

first is roof sitting on the ground, the next is where it will sit and be fortified once tarps are attached.

any idea's or advice is welcomed. (ignore the smashed shed roof, it's a sore spot for me 8 months after a neighbors tree fell on it :-) )
Attached: IMG_0631[1].jpg (232.3 KB) IMG_0630[1].jpg (202.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:15 AM 04-16-2017
Green pvc let enough light through?

It's fall down there now, right?
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:15 PM 04-16-2017
the 'green house' roof will be a clear reinforced tarp.

how dare you say 'fall', it's autumn here :-) (i only say that as everytime i used the term 'fall' everyone looks at you like 'what's that').

about to get our first frost soon and all the ivy's are turning red (beautiful colors i might add) we have a great view of town when the leaves turn.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:20 PM 04-16-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
the 'green house' roof will be a clear reinforced tarp.

how dare you say 'fall', it's autumn here :-) (i only say that as everytime i used the term 'fall' everyone looks at you like 'what's that').

about to get our first frost soon and all the ivy's are turning red (beautiful colors i might add) we have a great view of town when the leaves turn.
I see. Cool man. Hope it turns out. I've often thought of putting up a greenhouse but I don't have the labor to pick a lot of veggies.
[Reply]
Nickhead 08:49 PM 04-16-2017
at one point we bought a greenhouse, without my knowledge it turned out to be flimsier than an aluminum can. at least i wont flinch every time a gust of wind comes thru. i got tired of chasing panels in the neighbors yards :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:23 PM 04-16-2017
LOL.

You know how all the old timey songs talk about the wind swept plains? Yeah. That's my farm.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:46 AM 04-18-2017
The Hibiscus are loving this weather. 20+ blooms on this one plant.

Wow, looks fantastic! How are your tomatoes doing?

We had our first hibiscus bloom this week after setting them back out.

We now have fresh radishes and Lettuce. Garden is doing great.

Trees have been loving the rain.
Attached: blue spruce.jpg (127.7 KB) 
[Reply]
lewdog 06:19 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Wow, looks fantastic! How are your tomatoes doing?

We had our first hibiscus bloom this week after setting them back out.

We now have fresh radishes and Lettuce. Garden is doing great.

Trees have been loving the rain.
Garden has been going nuts for the past month.

Once we get deep into May, it will come crashing down with the heat.

Here was today's haul alone. First time growing green beans. Called Kentucky Wonder. I provided a 4' tomato cage for them to climb and they got to the top in about a month. I realize they need about 7-8' of growing height and was hoping they'd grab the concrete wall behind where they grow, but they aren't doing that. Next year I'll place a 7' trellis behind the tomato cage to extend their growth. Either way, they are fantastically long beans!

[Reply]
Page 13 of 57
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up