ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 85
« First < 81415161718 192021222868 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Handy-Man Corner
Iowanian 08:25 AM 09-24-2004
I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
[Reply]
Phobia 09:10 PM 11-27-2006
I doubt he's on a slab. He's in a condo.
[Reply]
Phobia 09:13 PM 11-27-2006
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
I'm willing to skimp on the actual unit to get it done right - I don't like screwing around with poor help. I'm not looking for anything elaborate as far as multiple showerheads..no bells and whistles, something simple, but not "cheap".
Okay, you'll need to find a 3 piece unit that will fit your rough opening after demo is complete. You can find a showerhead and valve that runs $100. I think you can get your materials for around $1000. The rest of it depends on the contractor. I think Bugeater's $3k number might be close.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:57 PM 12-22-2006
Has anyone had anything like this done?

Is it worth a ****?

http://www.surfacesol.com/bathrooms.html
[Reply]
Redrum_69 12:59 PM 12-22-2006
Anything can be fixed with ductape....wd-40....super glue....

and if those things dont work...hit the damn thing with a hammer a few times
[Reply]
bogie 01:06 PM 12-22-2006
Originally Posted by ptlyon:

Is it worth a ****?

Never done it. What specifically are you doing and what is the cost? If all you want to do is resurface the tub, it may be worth a shot depending on the cost. JMO
[Reply]
PastorMikH 01:09 PM 12-22-2006

Is it worth a ****?

I saw some info on it a while back (or at least something similar). Looks pretty interesting. They one I saw, they made cast of your existing tub, then made a resin insert off of the casting, then showed up and installed the insert over your tub. The display I saw looked pretty good. Don't know how it will last, but it is made of similar material to the newer tubs/showers that are installed in homes today so it should hold up.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:15 PM 12-22-2006
Originally Posted by bogie:
Never done it. What specifically are you doing and what is the cost? If all you want to do is resurface the tub, it may be worth a shot depending on the cost. JMO
Not sure what the cost is, I imagine they come in and bid it. (I'm not exactly handy, therefore I would not even attempt anything like this.)

But anyway, my tub is old, the enamel is wearing away and the pits get dirty. I was thinking that doing something like this, refinishing it with this stuff with a built in surround would look nice.
[Reply]
Phobia 01:35 PM 12-22-2006
I've heard those units are great for rehab but for a longterm solution they don't hold up well.

I don't have any experience with it. You can also have your tub refinished. Don't attempt to DIY. Have a pro come in a spray it.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:43 PM 12-22-2006
Thanks Guys
[Reply]
NewChief 01:44 PM 12-22-2006
Originally Posted by Phobia:
I don't have any experience with it. You can also have your tub refinished. Don't attempt to DIY. Have a pro come in a spray it.
Naw naw naw. Whatcha gotta do is get yerself some paint...maybe a good rustoleum, that stuff'll paint over anything...then just spray that baby down with a few coats. Be sure ta keep tha door closed while yer' doin' it..cuts down on yer beer money fer tha' night. Git er' done!
[Reply]
bogie 01:49 PM 12-22-2006
Not sure what the cost is, I imagine they come in and bid it. (I'm not exactly handy, therefore I would not even attempt anything like this.)

But anyway, my tub is old, the enamel is wearing away and the pits get dirty. I was thinking that doing something like this, refinishing it with this stuff with a built in surround would look nice.
If your tub is cast iron, it can be refinished. The surround would definately add a new level of $$.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 09:48 PM 01-05-2007
I have a question or two about floor tiles...

The wife and I are a week away from closing on our house. Back a week or so back, the lady we are buying from had a bit of an accident. She's an older widow that smokes a lot. She dumped an ashtray into the trash can which started a fire. She tried to carry the trash can through the house and outside. In the process, some papers fell out of the can and started a fire on the rug right between the living room, dining room, and hallway. She has volunteered to pay for new carpet and have it installed in all 3 areas.

With kids, the thought of new carpet under the table that will be seeing lots of use kinda concerns me. We would like to tile the kitchen at a later date but with this, we are giving serious thought to going ahead and replacing the carpet in the dining room with tile, going ahead and putting tile in the kitchen at the same time, and having the carpet installed in the other areas. I will most likely be doing the tile myself and the tile will be laid on a slab foundation.

What type/thickness of tile would the handymen of the Planet recomend? Stone, porcelain/ceremic, ? (NO Vinyl!:-))

Thanks.
[Reply]
Phobia 09:52 PM 01-05-2007
What's your budget? Do you have any experience?

I alwasy recommend slate for inexperienced tile setters. It's my own personal choice. I have it in every bathroom of my house, the fireplace surround, and in my downstairs kitchen. Plus you can cut slate with an angle grinder. Good stuff.
[Reply]
NewChief 10:19 PM 01-05-2007
Originally Posted by Phobia:
What's your budget? Do you have any experience?

I alwasy recommend slate for inexperienced tile setters. It's my own personal choice. I have it in every bathroom of my house, the fireplace surround, and in my downstairs kitchen. Plus you can cut slate with an angle grinder. Good stuff.

If you go with slate, just be sure to get some tips on cleaning the grout before you get started. If you don't do it right, the grout cleanup can be a true PITA. Other than that, slate is wonderful. Beautiful stuff, durable, and the natural imperfections tend to make up for any problems you might encounter.

One other warning: if you're doing a large area, don't let the women "pick out" the pieces. That can take more time than actually laying the stuff. My friend had about 20 boxes of tile, and he had to lay them all out to pick out and place the "pretty" ones before he even started laying it.
[Reply]
Phobia 10:23 PM 01-05-2007
Good point. I always seal my slate right out of the box with a cheap (or used) paint roller. Don't even try to clean the roller after you use it on sealer, it's done.

This way any thinset (tile adhesive) will clean off easily and grout will as well.

Most tilesetters seal it after they put it down, but I think it's better to do it before.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 85
« First < 81415161718 192021222868 > Last »
Up