ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2890 of 3903
« First < 1890239027902840288028862887288828892890 289128922893289429002940299033903890 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 10:51 AM 08-21-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I don't think so it is to provide a central place to inform the public.

You can read the teacher's reasoning here.

https://www.newsweek.com/tracking-co...chools-1526522
It is, because he is going to “report” this and the general public will assume this was all spread in the school setting. Which will further lead to panic and problems and we’ll end up shutting them all down and won’t know what is and isn’t safe or how to manage

And we’ll be right back in the same spot as we are right now In january.
[Reply]
TLO 10:51 AM 08-21-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I get that a PCR test will correctly identify what you are looking for but not exactly give you a time for when that positive identification mattered as it pertained to determining the spread of infection.

But beside the scientific limitations of coming up with something quicker, it doesn't seem to me that the public health apparatus has decided we need something quicker than PCR.
What? There's a large number of tests available that are quicker than the PCR test. They are quite widely used as well.
[Reply]
jdubya 10:52 AM 08-21-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Sounds like she was getting screened for MRSA. That's a nares swab and it's a pretty typical pre surgery test.
Entirely possible I mistook the letters MRSA with COVID on her paperwork and the directions to the one of many drive through COVID testing centers. I keep forgetting there are a bunch of drive through MRSA test sites throughout the county as well. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:57 AM 08-21-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
What? There's a large number of tests available that are quicker than the PCR test. They are quite widely used as well.
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020...6641588951991/

Article mentions a Cepheid test which was approved in March.

Since then, nada. And tests are taking much longer than 45 minutes to get back to people in most cases, so...
[Reply]
O.city 10:59 AM 08-21-2020
I get that a PCR test will correctly identify what you are looking for but not exactly give you a time for when that positive identification mattered as it pertained to determining the spread of infection.

But beside the scientific limitations of coming up with something quicker, it doesn't seem to me that the public health apparatus has decided we need something quicker than PCR.
I personally tend to think some of the public health apparatus has been politicized so who knows.

Some of it is the fda approval and standards that have to be met to get a test thru
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:04 AM 08-21-2020

Where do you get the idea they don't want faster testing because every single major public health person says the opposite. Everyone knows we need reliable, quick testing even at home so we can get back to some normalcy.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:10 AM 08-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It is, because he is going to “report” this and the general public will assume this was all spread in the school setting. Which will further lead to panic and problems and we’ll end up shutting them all down and won’t know what is and isn’t safe or how to manage

And we’ll be right back in the same spot as we are right now In january.
I understand your point but the teacher stated he is just basing this mostly off media reporting anyway so people are going to assume some of that anyway don't you think?
[Reply]
kgrund 11:38 AM 08-21-2020
Our use of the PCR test as the backbone or our testing due to the public health officials belief it is the most accurate reminds me of what I read about the Germans during WWII.

Germany, as all countries, during the War, was tasked with keeping up armaments to sustain the fight. Whereas the US war production focused on quantity while sacrificing some quality, the Germans could not go against their DNA. :-) Instead Germans continued to focus on making bullets of the highest level of quality while producing a fraction of what the US was producing when the true need at the time was quantity. Seems like we are repeating the same mistake here.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:50 AM 08-21-2020
Where do you get the idea they don't want faster testing because every single major public health person says the opposite. Everyone knows we need reliable, quick testing even at home so we can get back to some normalcy.
Well major public health experts have said there is no going back to normal and they're the first to point out most quick forms of testing aren't reliable.

So at the end of the day it's safe to say the experts don't believe we need quick testing.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:03 PM 08-21-2020
Well major public health experts have said there is no going back to normal and they're the first to point out most quick forms of testing aren't reliable.

So at the end of the day it's safe to say the experts don't believe we need quick testing.
Some of them aren't reliable though and there is a couple that have been approved that sound like they are. Alot of this is on the FDA because they want all the tests to be as accurate as the PCR test because they don't want a bunch of false negatives. They definitely got burned by their stupid antibody decision early on which they have rolled back.
[Reply]
kgrund 12:11 PM 08-21-2020
Some of them aren't reliable though and there is a couple that have been approved that sound like they are. Alot of this is on the FDA because they want all the tests to be as accurate as the PCR test because they don't want a bunch of false negatives. They definitely got burned by their stupid antibody decision early on which they have rolled back.
So the FDA responds by likely having far more false positives (in terms of actually infectious) then they would have likely had of the false negatives. Public health will always error on the side of caution. That is why they should have been a voice in the room rather than THE voice. Actions impacting all aspects of lives require multiple perspectives IMO.
[Reply]
Donger 12:17 PM 08-21-2020
Wow. Mississippi has 28.5% positivity.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:29 PM 08-21-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
So the FDA responds by likely having far more false positives (in terms of actually infectious) then they would have likely had of the false negatives. Public health will always error on the side of caution. That is why they should have been a voice in the room rather than THE voice. Actions impacting all aspects of lives require multiple perspectives IMO.
I heard more about false negatives for PCR testing than false positives. For the quick antigen tests false positives are supposedly rare while false negatives could be up to 50%. That is way to high false negative rate to be useful unless you are doing the test every day. The test the NBA is using just got approved and it has PCR like accuracy.
[Reply]
kgrund 12:44 PM 08-21-2020
I heard more about false negatives for PCR testing than false positives. For the quick antigen tests false positives are supposedly rare while false negatives could be up to 50%. That is way to high false negative rate to be useful unless you are doing the test every day. The test the NBA is using just got approved and it has PCR like accuracy.
I agree that false negatives have been more widely covered with PCR because false positives are not as prevalent due to the hypersensitivity of the test. The issue that is becoming more clear is the limited insight from a positive result. Though it is not technically a "false positive", it essentially is in terms of what determining whether the individual is at risk to the community at the time of testing.
[Reply]
Pants 12:48 PM 08-21-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Wow. Mississippi has 28.5% positivity.
HI may be imminent based on some of the trends we have seen.
[Reply]
Page 2890 of 3903
« First < 1890239027902840288028862887288828892890 289128922893289429002940299033903890 > Last »
Up