ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>How long until the Masters golf tournament gets renamed?
TribalElder 05:42 PM 04-05-2021
The Masters golf tournament is this week

I heard on one channel a mention about how offensive "The Masters" name is because of the long racist history of the Augusta National golf course when it comes to membership.

They went on to talk about how the only members that were allowed were white and the caddies were all black.

You could feel the outrage building and it made me wonder how long until the masters tournament gets renamed / cancelled / me too'd
[Reply]
smith11 12:26 AM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
The Masters golf tournament is this week

I heard on one channel a mention about how offensive "The Masters" name is because of the long racist history of the Augusta National golf course when it comes to membership.

They went on to talk about how the only members that were allowed were white and the caddies were all black.

You could feel the outrage building and it made me wonder how long until the masters tournament gets renamed / cancelled / me too'd
When Barbara Eden dies
[Reply]
Why Not? 01:24 AM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
I always associate it with the greatest. Mastered the game sort of thing. Still do and will.
Pretty sure that's exactly why it's called The Masters.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 04:48 AM 04-06-2021
How long?

How about “never.” Weird thread. Fantasy about an unacceptable name for a golf tournament that no one except the anti-name change protesters has raised the prospect of changing.

This thread is an exercise in mental Master(s)bation.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 08:19 AM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
How long until the Masters golf tournament gets renamed?
I'd say after Biden makes masks mandatory forever but before he revokes the 2nd Amendment.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:24 AM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
How long?

How about “never.” Weird thread. Fantasy about an unacceptable name for a golf tournament that no one except the anti-name change protesters has raised the prospect of changing.

This thread is an exercise in mental Master(s)bation.
ahem....

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/herb-...me-controversy

(story date: July 1, 2020)
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:26 AM 04-06-2021
It's important that this non-sporting event keeps its name.
[Reply]
tooge 08:58 AM 04-06-2021
renamed to "They Massuhs"
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:51 PM 04-06-2021
Some reporter keeps asking the players at this presser about the Georgia law.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:29 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
ahem....

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/herb-...me-controversy

(story date: July 1, 2020)
Ok.

But isn't this part of the article really telling?

"I’ve been scouring the internet. And the only person I can connect to the ``Masters has a racist connotation’’ is Rob Parker.

One guy with a long list of wobbly assertions. Rob Parker is a sports journalist who is gifted at. . . stirring the pot. Not sure why, but these provocateur guys flourish by taking off-the-wall stands. I have worked with them, shaken my head in amazement at many more of them. And been envious of the job opportunities and salaries they attract.

They irritate us and they enrage us if we let them."
[Reply]
Nixhex 02:33 PM 04-06-2021
I wonder if MLB commissioner Rob Manfred will immediately cancel his membership at Augusta being that it is in the racist/vote suppressing state of Georgia?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:36 PM 04-06-2021
The word "master" is used very, very, commonly to denote skill.

End of this non-story. I realize some people are waiting for the hammer to fall next on the Chiefs, and I hope that doesn't happen, but virtually no one is complaining about the Masters.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:37 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Ok.

But isn't this part of the article really telling?

"I’ve been scouring the internet. And the only person I can connect to the ``Masters has a racist connotation’’ is Rob Parker.

One guy with a long list of wobbly assertions. Rob Parker is a sports journalist who is gifted at. . . stirring the pot. Not sure why, but these provocateur guys flourish by taking off-the-wall stands. I have worked with them, shaken my head in amazement at many more of them. And been envious of the job opportunities and salaries they attract.

They irritate us and they enrage us if we let them."
Originally Posted by :
It is at first denied that any radical new plan exists;

it is then conceded that it exists but ministers swear blind that it is not even on the political agenda;

it is then noted that it might well be on the agenda but is not a serious proposition

it is later conceded that it is a serious proposition, but that it will never be implemented;

after that it is acknowledged that it will be implemented but in such a diluted form that it could make no difference to the lives of ordinary people;

and at some point it is finally recognised that it has made such a difference, but it was always known that it would and voters were told so from the outset.

[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:44 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Good to know.

Perhaps you can find someone who:

1. Is calling for the Masters to be renamed, and;

2. Should be taken seriously.

The article quoted to support the existence of this controversy establishes fairly conclusively that the one guy calling for it is a nut.

Anyone else?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:44 PM 04-06-2021
I have 1 master hard drive and a slave drive attached
[Reply]
eDave 02:57 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I have 1 master hard drive and a slave drive attached
How many slaves you got? I only have one. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up