ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 08:30 PM 03-06-2021
I've had issue like this before and it was due to a slight misalignment of the GPU and MB. Parts could have shifted in shipment or simply put together slightly off. The MB should have screws at various points, I would loosen them and make sure the GPU and MB are aligned properly. If you have to push the GPU to one side or the other to get the mounting holes to line up, it can cause partial connection and intermittent issues.

Many computers have RAM tests built in which are more extensive than the normal boot up tests. You can use another computer to download something like MemTest86 and write it to a memory stick and boot from it.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:39 PM 03-06-2021
ram in the wrong slots would not typically cause those issues, just would not boot.

The green lines are classic GPU, I only suggested RAM because you said reseating the GPU did not fix it, and RAM is another similar, though less likely culprit.

You could also have a short somewhere on the MOBO, if you are comfortable with it, you can remove the mobo and reinstall it, making sure all of your standoffs are properly fitted and nothing is grounding. If not, thats OK, but double check that GPU and make sure its not sagging or otherwise doing something where its a millimeter out of whack
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:30 PM 03-06-2021
Do you guys know why server cases are too shallow for an i9 and a Noctua Cooler?

I need a server case but the info I'm getting on other sites is that they're too shallow.
[Reply]
Fish 10:44 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Do you guys know why server cases are too shallow for an i9 and a Noctua Cooler?

I need a server case but the info I'm getting on other sites is that they're too shallow.
Why do you need a server case? Do you mean you need something that will mount in a server rack? If so, yeah you'll need something specific if you're wanting a traditional PC gamer build with a fat CPU fan and big GPU. Server rack space is designated by a "U" quantity. With 1U being a single server rack height. You'd need something that's 5U or 6U for that kind of build. I'm not aware of anything like that which you could easily toss parts into like you're doing a normal PC build. Again, is there a reason for needing a rack design? If so, you might have to just get something like a normal flat shelf that fits into a server rack, and build a normal PC build in a normal ATX full sized case and sit it on the shelf.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ser...6B/ref=sr_1_19
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 10:18 AM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
See the number 22 on the lower right hand side of the diagram below? Those four lights are your error indicators. Are any of them lit up when you power on the PC?






Each light comes on when it's booting up, but just for a second, then they turn off and remain off.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 10:37 AM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
green lines does smell like a GPU issue to me, but hardly ever are GPUs bad.

Does it only have one RAM stick? If not, try it with only one, and then the other one, and see if problems persist. RAM issues can take all sorts of forms.
I tried removing each RAM stick one at a time. It didn't work, unfortunately.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:40 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Why do you need a server case? Do you mean you need something that will mount in a server rack? If so, yeah you'll need something specific if you're wanting a traditional PC gamer build with a fat CPU fan and big GPU. Server rack space is designated by a "U" quantity. With 1U being a single server rack height. You'd need something that's 5U or 6U for that kind of build. I'm not aware of anything like that which you could easily toss parts into like you're doing a normal PC build. Again, is there a reason for needing a rack design? If so, you might have to just get something like a normal flat shelf that fits into a server rack, and build a normal PC build in a normal ATX full sized case and sit it on the shelf.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ser...6B/ref=sr_1_19
Thanks, Dude! Yeah, I need at least a 4 space rack mounted unit, one of which I've used since 2007, because of my recording studio setup in which my desk has 36 rack spaces filled with gear. Everything works together in terms of cabline and wiring and unfortunately, I don't have the room to set a computer on the floor.

I hadn't thought about racking up a normal case in the past, so thanks for the great idea! I went through several after-market fans when I built my current computer back in a 2015, an Intel i-4790k machine but I really need to upgrade to a new Intel computer asap.

This definitely helped and thank you so much!
[Reply]
eDave 02:01 PM 03-07-2021
I've been slowly buying parts for years, finally ready to build.


[Reply]
vailpass 02:59 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
Each light comes on when it's booting up, but just for a second, then they turn off and remain off.
Odd. What's the latest on this? Is your machine up and running or no?
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 03:21 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Odd. What's the latest on this? Is your machine up and running or no?
I spoke to their tech department this morning and he said he thinks it's the GPU. He emailed me a 2 day Fedex label and when they receive it, they're going to ship out a new GPU.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:31 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
I spoke to their tech department this morning and he said he thinks it's the GPU. He emailed me a 2 day Fedex label and when they receive it, they're going to ship out a new GPU.
Cool. Update us after you get the new card installed?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:44 AM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
I spoke to their tech department this morning and he said he thinks it's the GPU. He emailed me a 2 day Fedex label and when they receive it, they're going to ship out a new GPU.
I would tend to agree. A lot of mobo's won't post at all if they don't detect a video output source. So if the GPU isn't being detected correctly, it won't even run mobo diags.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:47 PM 03-09-2021
How do you guys feel about AIO cooling versus standard fan cooling? I've never built a computer with liquid cooling before, so I'm slightly hesitant but I don't really have any options with a server case.

Also, I'm reading that quite a few people are recommending the i9-10850k over the 10900k due to power consumption and heat.

Thoughts?
[Reply]
vailpass 09:05 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
How do you guys feel about AIO cooling versus standard fan cooling? I've never built a computer with liquid cooling before, so I'm slightly hesitant but I don't really have any options with a server case.

Also, I'm reading that quite a few people are recommending the i9-10850k over the 10900k due to power consumption and heat.

Thoughts?
Iím building my sonís pc right now. Going to install the AIO tomorrow. My first time using AIO. So I guess I donít have anything that would be of help right now but Iíll know more tomorrow about what the install is like.
[Reply]
Pants 09:07 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
How do you guys feel about AIO cooling versus standard fan cooling? I've never built a computer with liquid cooling before, so I'm slightly hesitant but I don't really have any options with a server case.

Also, I'm reading that quite a few people are recommending the i9-10850k over the 10900k due to power consumption and heat.

Thoughts?
Can't go wrong with either. They have air coolers now that are just as good or better than AIO water coolers at keeping your CPU temps down. I would say the biggest drawback of air coolers is the dust and the biggest drawback of AIO is that the pump will lose efficiency over time and eventually fail.

Currently, my rig has an AIO because it looks nice. :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up