ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 63 of 129
« First < 13535960616263 6465666773113 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>*****Official George Floyd/MPLS Police dep trial*****
displacedinMN 09:47 AM 01-12-2021
Under Special Request-Shortened to help out

What happened -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_George_Floyd

Results and riots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests

Trials-Latest

Spoiler!



Charges
Spoiler!


I will update things as I can-I have full RedStarTrib access.

Live tweets from Red Star http://live.startribune.com/Event/Li...rial_testimony

KARE 11 Live Stream with experts. https://www.kare11.com/watch?vid=5b7...b-8073ea5b7450
[Reply]
banyon 10:05 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Talk show guy Crowder had someone use the technique that Chauvin used on Floyd for the same amount of time, 9 minutes, and he did not die.
Very compelling:

wow totally the same! No dishonesty or anything at all! pic.twitter.com/EcRsraWFFG

— Viathan (@VermilionViath) April 7, 2021

[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:10 PM 04-07-2021

Forensic scientist found George Floyd's blood, pills with his DNA in squad car https://t.co/54a8rbJSWR

— CBS News (@CBSNews) April 8, 2021

[Reply]
frozenchief 10:11 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by banyon:
Nice summary. Felony murder is often confusing to laypersons, as are the various degrees.

Out of curiosity in the push out the door case did they charge 2nd degree reckless? (We called that “depraved heart” when I was in school).
Thanks, especially from another attorney.

They actually charged the guy with neg homicide because my client was pretty drunk. Most crime in rural (“Bush”) Alaska involves LOTS of alcohol. Average BAC for a DUI on a case I had when I lived out there was .24. Cops did a PBT on most people in arrest. I had a client hit .3 at least once a month. Someone would hit .4 once a year. Highest BAC I ever had was a .57 on a DUI.
[Reply]
banyon 10:15 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
Thanks, especially from another attorney.

They actually charged the guy with neg homicide because my client was pretty drunk. Most crime in rural (“Bush”) Alaska involves LOTS of alcohol. Average BAC for a DUI on a case I had when I lived out there was .24. Cops did a PBT on most people in arrest. I had a client hit .3 at least once a month. Someone would hit .4 once a year. Highest BAC I ever had was a .57 on a DUI.
When there’s not much to do and it’s cold, people drink a lot. Your experience bears that out. Ok I can see where your guys intox level would negate the type of intent you might need for depraved heart. There’s just so few cases you run into out there and I was hoping I’d found a new example. I agree with their charge then. Deal made sense.

.57 is higher than any DUI case I’ve had. I had a guy blow .54 once, but he stumbled into the police lobby and confessed to a robbery of a convenience store. We detoxified him, mirandized, took another statement and he described the exact location under his gf’s parent’s deck where she hid the masks they used and guns. That one was like a gift.
[Reply]
eDave 10:21 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by banyon:
Very compelling:

:-). Mistrial for sure.
[Reply]
frozenchief 11:47 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by banyon:
When there’s not much to do and it’s cold, people drink a lot. Your experience bears that out. Ok I can see where your guys intox level would negate the type of intent you might need for depraved heart. There’s just so few cases you run into out there and I was hoping I’d found a new example. I agree with their charge then. Deal made sense.

.57 is higher than any DUI case I’ve had. I had a guy blow .54 once, but he stumbled into the police lobby and confessed to a robbery of a convenience store. We detoxified him, mirandized, took another statement and he described the exact location under his gf’s parent’s deck where she hid the masks they used and guns. That one was like a gift.
What I’ve seen is that the longer alcohol has been in a society, the lower the rate of alcohol abuse. Italian and Jewish cultures have documented wine use going back millennia and yet the rate of alcohol abuse in those cultures is really low. Cultures that have been introduced to alcohol recently, though, have a higher rate of alcohol use. Aboriginal cultures from Australia and Brazil bear this out. But, the farther north a culture is, the higher the rate of alcohol use. When you combine the recency of alcohol introduction and northern location of Alaska and Canadian indigenous peoples, the rate of alcohol abuse has to be seen to be believed.

Alaska leads the country in the rate of sexual assault and child sexual abuse. If you could remove alcohol from this state, our rates of violent crime would plummet. This state is a good example of how context matters because if you look solely at statistics, one would think that this state is just one giant sexual assault. But if you drink responsibly with other people who drink responsibly, your odds of being a victim of a violent crime are actually really low. That just shows how pervasive the extent of alcohol abuse is in this state. I would estimate that 98+% of my clients from the Bush were severely intoxicated. By severely intoxicated, I mean .25% BAC or higher.
[Reply]
eDave 12:03 AM 04-08-2021
Left wingish media calls this the Chauvin trial.
Right wingish media calls this the George Floyd trial.

Who's being prosecuted here?

He squeezed his fingers.
[Reply]
BigRichard 04:52 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Left wingish media calls this the Chauvin trial.
Right wingish media calls this the George Floyd trial.

Who's being prosecuted here?

He squeezed his fingers.
As it appears, more and more, that there shouldn't even have been a trial, I am good with calling it the George Floyd trial. It wasn't about justice on Chauvin, it was about "Justice" for George Floyd.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 05:09 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
As it appears, more and more, that there shouldn't even have been a trial, I am good with calling it the George Floyd trial. It wasn't about justice on Chauvin, it was about "Justice" for George Floyd.
:-)

The defense literally argued that saying "I cant breathe" was a form of resisting arrest. That how little his defense has. This is the Twinkie defense of the modern era.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 05:19 AM 04-08-2021
The defense also tried to claim that George Floyd yelled, "I ate all of the drugs!" No one says that. But then the prosecution clears it up by playing the whole context of the clip and has witnesses say they hear "I ain't taken no drugs!" which makes a lot more sense than chowing down all the drugs.

"He must have swallowed drugs while he was too incapacitated to breathe" is the new "sprinkle some crack on him."

He had two autopsies done and both of them said it wasn't a drug overdose. Only Tucker Carlson, who told a judge that no reasonable person would take him seriously, has ever argued that he died of an overdose.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:28 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Racism is defined as prejudice + power.
favoring one group over another

after watching the news last night, I think MLK is rolling over.

Hopefully there will be a day where people are not judged by the color of their skin. The news-even local-has forgotten that. The first four stories not about the trial, were about POC and pointing out they were POC.

Why are they not just...people? One saying the small town was a little less white? How is that not racist?
Are you going to tell people to be a little less black?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 06:36 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
:-)

The defense literally argued that saying "I cant breathe" was a form of resisting arrest. That how little his defense has. This is the Twinkie defense of the modern era.
Look like Floyd isn’t the only who ate too many drugs
[Reply]
Loneiguana 07:01 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Look like Floyd isn’t the only who ate too many drugs
Conservatives parrot untrue claims. News at 11.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 07:07 AM 04-08-2021
Floyd did say "I ate too many drugs", but if the prosecution was smart they would say it was another indicator that Floyd needed medical attention.
[Reply]
Shields68 07:56 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
Floyd did say "I ate too many drugs", but if the prosecution was smart they would say it was another indicator that Floyd needed medical attention.
Yeah that will not get them very far. IT takes Murder off he table and down to the manslaughter. Just do not see the jury going for that line of prosecution. It is not like they did not call for EMT's right away. But if the prosecution was smart and not political, I doubt they would be where they are. The knee on the neck area and the emotion that causes is about all they have.
[Reply]
Page 63 of 129
« First < 13535960616263 6465666773113 > Last »
Up