ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Media Center>DC Comics "Suicide Squad" Cast Confirmed
RunKC 11:07 AM 12-03-2014
Jared Leto-the joker
Tom Hardy-rick Flagg
Margot Robbie-Harley Quinn
Will Smith-Deadshot
Jai Courtney-Boomerang

Rick Roven-producer

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...-suicide-squad

This looks very promising
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 01:49 AM 08-04-2016
Warner screwed it and panicked.

After BvS, they actually hired an editor from the company that created the trailers and there was 2 cuts. Ayers cut and the other. Warner basically forced them to hack together parts of both cuts and was the reason for reshoots because combining the 2 was required to make the continuity work.

Congratulations, WB! They spooked after BvS and now have themselves a Frankenfilm.

If they would have just released the UC BvS the press would have been a lot more positive and Suicide Squad would be a VERY different movie.

Studio execs can't get out of their own way to keep from fucking up and shitting the bed.
[Reply]
JD10367 08:40 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
Warner screwed it and panicked.

After BvS, they actually hired an editor from the company that created the trailers and there was 2 cuts. Ayers cut and the other. Warner basically forced them to hack together parts of both cuts and was the reason for reshoots because combining the 2 was required to make the continuity work.

Congratulations, WB! They spooked after BvS and now have themselves a Frankenfilm.

If they would have just released the UC BvS the press would have been a lot more positive and Suicide Squad would be a VERY different movie.

Studio execs can't get out of their own way to keep from ****ing up and shitting the bed.
I disagree. I think the reshoots were just to lighten the mood and make it more "GotG" and less "MoS" and "BvS". The film DID seem like two different halves, but that was out of necessity; the first hour was introducing characters and setting up the flimsy "capture the flag" plot, the rest was the group trying to capture said flag. There really wasn't much plotwise, it was mostly just the characters quipping lines at each other--and even then it was basically "The Will Smith and Margot Robbie Show (with a Special Appearance by Jared Leto)".
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 08:41 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by JD10367:
I disagree. I think the reshoots were just to lighten the mood and make it more "GotG" and less "MoS" and "BvS". The film DID seem like two different halves, but that was out of necessity; the first hour was introducing characters and setting up the flimsy "capture the flag" plot, the rest was the group trying to capture said flag. There really wasn't much plotwise, it was mostly just the characters quipping lines at each other--and even then it was basically "The Will Smith and Margot Robbie Show (with a Special Appearance by Jared Leto)".
What's to disagree about? It's what happened
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:42 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by JD10367:
I disagree. I think the reshoots were just to lighten the mood and make it more "GotG" and less "MoS" and "BvS". The film DID seem like two different halves, but that was out of necessity; the first hour was introducing characters and setting up the flimsy "capture the flag" plot, the rest was the group trying to capture said flag. There really wasn't much plotwise, it was mostly just the characters quipping lines at each other--and even then it was basically "The Will Smith and Margot Robbie Show (with a Special Appearance by Jared Leto)".
Don't remember where (maybe Hollywood Reporter) saying exactly what Anyong said.
[Reply]
JD10367 08:48 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Don't remember where (maybe Hollywood Reporter) saying exactly what Anyong said.
The facts, yes, but his supposition that this action created a "Frankenfilm" and was the sole reason it is supposedly a bad film is, IMO, incorrect. If anything, it seems like the execs probably stayed out of it more than they usually do; it seemed to me, like "GotG", that "Squad" was more a film made by people who, if they weren't making the film, would want to see the film they were making (if that makes sense). Honestly, it's not a great film, but given the source material I'm not sure how it could've been much better. It's a large cast so it has the problems any film with a large cast does, like "Avengers", or "GotG" or "Legends of Tomorrow" on TV, which is what the film feels most like--a bunch of losers who end up in a group. And since it comes after "GotG" and "Legends" it has an unavoidably derivative feel; if this film had come before "GotG" it probably would've gotten better reviews.

If I had one complaint I'd say they did try to make it TOO accessible and family-friendly; I've heard comments about violence but frankly there really isn't any--there was more violence in the scene in "BvS" where Batman rescues Clark's mom than there was in the entire "Suicide Squad" film. The film almost isn't dark enough; it's akin to the first "Batman" film, really.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:36 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by JD10367:
The facts, yes, but his supposition that this action created a "Frankenfilm" and was the sole reason it is supposedly a bad film is, IMO, incorrect.
90% of all films are created in the edit bay. Without a great edit, the most amazing script, direction and photography can be absolutely destroyed and turned into garbage.

Warner's is doing a terrible job in their comic universe post Nolan. If they had released the BvS UE edition instead of the watered down, overly edited version, there would be far less outcry and a more unified vision moving forward.

Now, they're likely screwed for a while and may never get it back on track.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:38 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
Warner screwed it and panicked.

After BvS, they actually hired an editor from the company that created the trailers and there was 2 cuts. Ayers cut and the other. Warner basically forced them to hack together parts of both cuts and was the reason for reshoots because combining the 2 was required to make the continuity work.
I have several friends that edit trailers, whether blockbusters or indie films.

It's absolutely nothing like editing a film, whatsoever, and they'll tell you that honestly and upfront. They're two completely different animals.

What a mess.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 11:25 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I have several friends that edit trailers, whether blockbusters or indie films.

It's absolutely nothing like editing a film, whatsoever, and they'll tell you that honestly and upfront. They're two completely different animals.

What a mess.
Having done some editing in college, and as you mentioned in your last few posts, what may seem a dry job when compared to, say, director, couldn't be further from the truth.

Anyone who's done basic editing can appreciate how genius and talented a great editor can weave magic.

Take 20 clips of b roll and ask 10 people to put together a 30 second commercial. You'll be astonished at how much bland and obvious a lot of them will have in similarity. You'll be even more astonished when you see someone with an eye for editing and the subtle choices and using shots in a sequence that didnít seem obvious to 90% of the everyone else.

Now, do it for a dozen hours of film shot, and slice it down to 90-120 minutes.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:32 AM 08-04-2016
Down to under 30% on RT. I wonder how low that number has to go in order to impact the published $140m expectations.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 11:40 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by JD10367:
The facts, yes, but his supposition that this action created a "Frankenfilm" and was the sole reason it is supposedly a bad film is, IMO, incorrect. If anything, it seems like the execs probably stayed out of it more than they usually do; it seemed to me, like "GotG", that "Squad" was more a film made by people who, if they weren't making the film, would want to see the film they were making (if that makes sense). Honestly, it's not a great film, but given the source material I'm not sure how it could've been much better. It's a large cast so it has the problems any film with a large cast does, like "Avengers", or "GotG" or "Legends of Tomorrow" on TV, which is what the film feels most like--a bunch of losers who end up in a group. And since it comes after "GotG" and "Legends" it has an unavoidably derivative feel; if this film had come before "GotG" it probably would've gotten better reviews.

If I had one complaint I'd say they did try to make it TOO accessible and family-friendly; I've heard comments about violence but frankly there really isn't any--there was more violence in the scene in "BvS" where Batman rescues Clark's mom than there was in the entire "Suicide Squad" film. The film almost isn't dark enough; it's akin to the first "Batman" film, really.
Asking people what they want to see is the biggest mistake. Talent is talent, and should be visionary. It's a presentation of artistic achievement, and frankly, 90% of the public has either poor taste or no creative talent.

If you want want a say, go read a choose your own adventure book.

Homogenized film is terrible. Studio execs are rarely "talent"- especially these days.

There's a reason why Robert Evans was so successful as a studio head in what was the last golden era of film in Hollywood. It baffles me that more visionary talent isn't in place to head up exec decisions when it comes to final say when the studios wanna tinker with a movie.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:42 AM 08-04-2016
It opened overseas yesterday and did very well:

http://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-...ts-1201798378/

I liked the film. Thought it was better than the second Avengers movie. Not as good as Guardians, but not nearly as bad as some of the reviews are making it out to be.

Seems like critics love Marvel, but have a different set of expectations for DC movies. I expect there to be a "Ultimate Edition" for Suicide Squad when it hits blu-ray. I think the DC universe is back on track. Wonder Woman and Justice League previews look good, and they have managed to establish that their universe is different from Marvel's (bit darker tone, etc.)

Suicide Squad easily is as good as several Marvel Movies (better than say IM2 or IM3, Ultron, and Thor 2 for example).
[Reply]
RobBlake 01:16 PM 08-04-2016
I agree, i feel there's a major hard on for marvel.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 01:37 PM 08-04-2016
3rded. GotG was fantastic, but a lot of the rave reviews for Marvel are blowing sunshine where it normally don't.

They're consistently good films, but nothing great about most of them.

Again, it seems to be en vogue to trash DC and blow Marvel a bit too much.

WB screwed the pooch tinkering with SS as a reaction to their screwing with BvS. If the UC is the original cut, thereís a completely different narrative and way less pressure on the studio.

I'd like to see the original 2 cuts of SS, but I won't hold my breath on them being available to watch anytime soon.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 01:55 PM 08-04-2016
Let's hope Geoff Johns helps the ship going forward...I'm betting I'll enjoy suicide squad but enough with tinkering and UC's that are the 'real' movie. Release the directors vision
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 02:16 PM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
3rded. GotG was fantastic, but a lot of the rave reviews for Marvel are blowing sunshine where it normally don't.

They're consistently good films, but nothing great about most of them.

Again, it seems to be en vogue to trash DC and blow Marvel a bit too much.

WB screwed the pooch tinkering with SS as a reaction to their screwing with BvS. If the UC is the original cut, thereís a completely different narrative and way less pressure on the studio.

I'd like to see the original 2 cuts of SS, but I won't hold my breath on them being available to watch anytime soon.
I think the positive response and sales for the BVS Ultimate Edition will make hard for WB not to put out an Director's Cut. Tough to pass up on that extra revenue.

I enjoy all of them...save for some of the X-Men Movies and the FF4 movies, which were just awful.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up