ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 57
« First < 404647484950 51525354 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Keep your political bullshit in DC and out of all other forums
DaFace 12:23 AM 12-01-2018
We're seeing an uptick in people randomly throwing out political bullshit in threads in the Lounge. Don't. Report people who do. They'll get booted from the thread for a first offense and more than that if they continue.

The end.

(Oct 2020 update)

Originally Posted by Bearcat:
It's safe to say thread bans aren't working, at least for the handful of people who simply can't keep politics out of any given conversation.

Due to continued reported posts and general frustrations around inserting politics into absolutely everything, and idea came up to restrict people to DC, much like the Romper Room.

So, everyone gets three thread bans as warnings, and after that will get a vacation in DC (the other forums will be view only). The thread bans and DC vacations will be posted in the transparency thread.

Just like several other rules, there's of course gray area and it doesn't really matter where the line is drawn, because those who can keep politics out of the Lounge will never come close to the line and those who can't will insist on running right up to it.

Generally speaking, we're talking about political opinions or blatantly inserting politics into a thread that isn't even a little bit on topic, or otherwise leaking DC BS into the Lounge or other forums.

htismaqe 08:20 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Don't think I don't agree, I've just given up . . .

And actually, the string of the ghetto was salved a bit when we got a BUNCH of subforums, instead of just the one. DC is 'niche' not pariah. :-)

Actually, the problem is different in nature, not extent, now.

Back then it was spamming, with jAZ and Clearvision and BushLiedPeopleDied popping up with an entire front page of threads every day. Content got pushed down the list out of sheer volume.
Yeah, we have other subforums but MC and Draft were created to save those discussions from being overwhelmed by the Lounge, as opposed to DC, which was created to keep those discussions from overwhelming the Lounge. :-)

And while the problem now may be different in nature, there's no actual evidence to suggest that the former problem would have gone away without doing what we did.

Banning individuals from this site isn't easy - the tools available are ancient by networking standards and easy to circumvent. It's likely the mods would be playing whack-a-mole to this day.

As I said before, I don't think there's an easy answer.
Bearcat 08:32 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I gave the mods a detailed plan for me and Myslod to be mods in DC. No one can be banned, disciplined etc. without the others approval. Equal treatment. Both Left and Right have to agree or no discipline is handed out. The endgame was to decrease the name calling and vitriol in DC and focus on the issues.

Never heard a word from the mods or AustinChief. Followed up several times. Not even a response. Thats a bad idea. Nothing. It was a missed chance that could have possibly changed the path that led to the extreme rancor and personal insults that are a fact of life in DC these days.

The post below is from 2015 and it was apparently "a few years ago" at that point, mentioning Phobia... and it's posted in a thread where a poll was taken in DC and 70% voted against moderation in the forum.

Seems like the time frame is relevant when it was 8+ years ago and ~3+ years before the new team of mods was formed, much less the political climate and DC climate circa 2012.

Just FYI

I and Myslod proposed an idea to moderate DC a few years back to Austin. We each had a bonafide history on our side of the aisle.

We could only discipline or ban anyone if we both agreed. We would work together. No partisan ganging up on members.

The goal was to lower the temp in here and maybe attract more members if there were not so many personal attacks.

We never heard a yes or no from Austin or Phobia.

DaFace 08:32 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
There aren't 10K active members here. It's a lot smaller than you think, more like 250-300 maybe less.

40 people is a lot. Furthermore, I never said anything about allowing them to rule the roost.

I said no matter what decision a mod makes, somebody is going to be mad at them. Doesn't mean the mod has to let them win but it's still trying and taxing to have that many people acting like children because they didn't get their way.
Not that it really matters for the discussion, but for the record we float around 800-900 "active users" per day, who are people who have at least logged in (but don't necessarily post).
htismaqe 08:42 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not that it really matters for the discussion, but for the record we float around 800-900 "active users" per day, who are people who have at least logged in (but don't necessarily post).
Yeah, and I basically figured a 3rd of those daily logins are actually "active". It's actually probably less than that.
BigRichard 08:52 AM 10-09-2020
BRC can get bent. He would be worse then Flop was.
patteeu 09:00 AM 10-09-2020
The Lounge cesspool is leaking into my rep, thanks to some noob named St Patty’s Fire who was likely still riding around in a car seat with his mommy when this forum was created.

It doesn’t really bother me obviously, because it’s low quality name calling, but we should all be clear that we have plenty of aggressive and uncivil posters on the Lounge side. The biggest difference is the thin skin some Lounge hotheads have.
htismaqe 09:03 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
The biggest difference is the thin skin some Lounge hotheads have.
As opposed to the thick skulls some DC hotheads have. :-)
patteeu 09:04 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
As opposed to the thick skulls some DC hotheads have. :-)
Well, that’s true. :-)
Bearcat 09:06 AM 10-09-2020
Lounge cesspool :-)
BigRichard 09:08 AM 10-09-2020
Remember that time that BRC tried to run the GOT thread... he got smacked down in there too.
Easy 6 09:09 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Lounge cesspool :-)
Let’s be honest, it gets plenty ugly in here

Different topics, same ugly
srvy 09:14 AM 10-09-2020
I gave the mods a detailed plan for me and Myslod to be mods in DC. No one can be banned, disciplined etc. without the others approval. Equal treatment. Both Left and Right have to agree or no discipline is handed out. The endgame was to decrease the name calling and vitriol in DC and focus on the issues.

Never heard a word from the mods or AustinChief. Followed up several times. Not even a response. Thats a bad idea. Nothing. It was a missed chance that could have possibly changed the path that led to the extreme rancor and personal insults that are a fact of life in DC these days.
Get over yourself. No one in their right mind would hand the moderator reigns to you.

You never heard back was the answer you didn't understand. I do bet the belly laughing was depriving the owner of oxygen though.
MIAdragon 09:19 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
After sleeping on it, I would probably be more inclined to focus on the people who come into the Lounge and carp all over the place with DC stuff, than DC itself for now. Once again without digging deep into it, I would say that probably only involves 20 people, or less, likely closer to 10.
Smells fishy.
Baby Lee 09:21 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Remember that time that BRC tried to run the GOT thread... he got smacked down in there too.
Thanks for reminding me of something about GoT worse than the last season. . . . :-)
O.city 09:26 AM 10-09-2020
Could we just get some damn tough skin and move on for gods sake. If you don’t like something posted, fire back and debate it or move on. It’s not hard to just scroll past and move on. I do it all the time mostly woth htisimage posts. My god that guy.

Wait is this a post or a private message?
Page 50 of 57
« First < 404647484950 51525354 > Last »
Up