ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 57
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:31 AM 03-25-2018
Tilled underneath the paper, which drains pretty well by itself while blocking the grass from growing up. Worked like a champ for us last year on the other two.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:43 AM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Tilled underneath the paper, which drains pretty well by itself while blocking the grass from growing up. Worked like a champ for us last year on the other two.
Cool.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:44 AM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Cool.

That’s newsprint, by the way. Thin stuff.

Just doing a 360 sprinkler this year. The whole big irrigation thing didn’t work out real well last year, so abandoning that.
[Reply]
eDave 09:46 AM 03-25-2018
Gardening is cool. Looks great Boi.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:49 AM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I'm not knocking it in anyway. It was fun. We replaced what it was sitting on with a holy liquor cabinet and we were done messing with it. It's sitting on a shelf in the shop and I might fix it up again someday. I thought enough of it to not pitch.

I used the seed starter insert this year, and holy shit is that thing awesome. These tomatoes, watermelon, and peppers were started in there. They’re weathered now and ready to plant.

[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:57 AM 03-25-2018
That’s newsprint, by the way. Thin stuff.

Just doing a 360 sprinkler this year. The whole big irrigation thing didn’t work out real well last year, so abandoning that.
My neighbor does the same, but he's doing interesting thing, he researched the heck out of the sun's movement relative to the trees and their shade, and placed his garden in a place where things like tomatoes get full sun, but others will get some shade.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out for him.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:04 AM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
My neighbor does the same, but he's doing interesting thing, he researched the heck out of the sun's movement relative to the trees and their shade, and placed his garden in a place where things like tomatoes get full sun, but others will get some shade.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out for him.

That’s a lot of planning. Oy.

I have this to the northeast, so these will slowly get full sun around mid afternoon and evening.

[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:22 AM 03-25-2018

I have this to the northeast, so these will slowly get full sun around mid afternoon and evening.

I think that'll work the same as he's trying.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:27 PM 03-25-2018

Thats a nice looking fence! 6x6 posts on your gate. Sweet!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:24 PM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Thats a nice looking fence! 6x6 posts on your gate. Sweet!

Thanks. We paid a pretty penny for it. And the board on top of board for a true privacy fence.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:53 PM 03-25-2018
Thanks. We paid a pretty penny for it. And the board on top of board for a true privacy fence.
Brilliant! I know when you drive down an ally here you can see basically the whole back yard just through the little 1/4 " gaps that develope .
[Reply]
cabletech94 03:13 PM 03-25-2018
am i understanding that you are using a paper for the weed blocker? is that right? or am i going into sensory overload from my lunch at chuck e cheese? don't ask.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:18 PM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
am i understanding that you are using a paper for the weed blocker? is that right? or am i going into sensory overload from my lunch at chuck e cheese? don't ask.

Newsprint. I have big rolls of the stuff, but old newspapers would work. And yes. It’s thin and water soaks through for drainage and is really effective as a weed blocker.

I did it on my other two raised beds last year and it worked really well.

I learned it from mom, but here’s a good read: http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/20...ith-newspaper/
[Reply]
cabletech94 03:38 PM 03-25-2018
^^ very nice. i started using cardboard a few years back. does a pretty good job. i was working the old beds yesterday. billions upon billions of rollie pollies everywhere. i hate to kill them. but man, its MY garden.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:33 PM 03-27-2018
To hell with those shitty tomato cages.

[Reply]
Page 23 of 57
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Up