ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 105 of 3903
« First < 55595101102103104105 1061071081091151552056051105 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
rtmike 03:47 AM 03-11-2020
It seems to have taken residence in the Portland/Vancouver area.
Two reports in Portland and my wife said someones at her hospital right now with it. Hospitals about a mile away. Good thing the wind doesn't usually come from the south, lol.
[Reply]
Nickhead 04:03 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by rtmike:
It seems to have taken residence in the Portland/Vancouver area.
Two reports in Portland and my wife said someones at her hospital right now with it. Hospitals about a mile away. Good thing the wind doesn't usually come from the south, lol.
lol!
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 04:13 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
Breakdown of deaths can be found here:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

45% of deaths had an underlying health issue including cardiovascular, cancer, diabetes, etc
22% of deaths are 80+ year olds (almost 1/4)
That seems to be all based on data from China though. A lot of people say not to trust it. Of course, people were saying China tried to hide it/were slow to react and that's why Wuhan was so bad but it's starting to look like they did well for having no warning time. The rest of the world had weeks to a month to prepare and were still seeing real problem areas.
[Reply]
suzzer99 04:40 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by :
Doctors everywhere are feeling their spidey senses clamoring. Inadequate PPE and rapidly outdated testing protocols, while there is active mild disease circulating widely, means what happened in the Bronxville hospital is not a fluke. No hospital has tested every single existing patient with an unidentified viral illness for COVID. How can we send healthcare workers into these rooms without N95 masks, splash guards, gloves and gowns, and ensure their safety? We can’t. How about the safety of other patients? How about the safety of immunocompromised patients? We can’t.

We are being told not to panic, to wash our hands and test based on outdated criteria, using a process that can’t handle the rate at which we need these tests done. Meanwhile our colleagues in Bronxville are in utter chaos and we are on high alert for how this wave crashes upon our system. Please stay away from healthcare centers unless you have a true medical emergency and keep a close watch on your local news for hotspots in your community. This is a rapidly evolving situation. This is NOT the time to slack off. Social distancing works. As does proper hand and hard surfaces hygiene.
From a doctor I follow on FB. Bronxville is the hospital in Westchester where they've have the big outbreak.
[Reply]
loochy 05:01 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
From a doctor I follow on FB. Bronxville is the hospital in Westchester where they've have the big outbreak.

blah blah blah

he could have just said the last 5 sentences and saved us the trouble

Originally Posted by :
Please stay away from healthcare centers unless you have a true medical emergency and keep a close watch on your local news for hotspots in your community. This is a rapidly evolving situation. This is NOT the time to slack off. Social distancing works. As does proper hand and hard surfaces hygiene.

[Reply]
suzzer99 05:05 AM 03-11-2020
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...what-you-cant/

Originally Posted by :
When a danger is growing exponentially, everything looks fine until it doesn’t

There’s an old brain teaser that goes like this: You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lilypad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on.

Now the teaser. “If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?”

The answer is 47 days. Moreover, at day 40, you’ll barely know the lily pads are there.

That grim math explains why so many people — including me — are worried about the novel coronavirus, which causes a disease known as covid-19. And why so many other people think we are panicking over nothing.

During the current flu season, they point out, more than 250,000 people have been hospitalized in the United States, and 14,000 have died, including more than 100 children. As of this writing, the coronavirus has killed 29 people, and our caseload is in the hundreds. Why are we freaking out about the tiny threat while ignoring the big one?

Quite a number of people have suggested that it’s because the media just wants President Trump to look bad. Trump seems particularly fond of this suggestion.

But go back to those lily pads: When something dangerous is growing exponentially, everything looks fine until it doesn’t. In the early days of the Wuhan epidemic, when no one was taking precautions, the number of cases appears to have doubled every four to five days.

The crisis in northern Italy is what happens when a fast doubling rate meets a “threshold effect,” where the character of an event can massively change once its size hits a certain threshold.

In this case, the threshold is things such as ICU beds. If the epidemic is small enough, doctors can provide respiratory support to the significant fraction of patients who develop complications, and relatively few will die. But once the number of critical patients exceeds the number of ventilators and ICU beds and other critical-care facilities, mortality rates spike.

Daniele Macchini, a doctor in Bergamo, Italy, recently posted a heart-stopping account to Facebook of what he and his colleagues have endured: the hospital emptying out, the wards eerily silent as they waited for the patients they couldn’t quite believe would come … and then, the “tsunami.”

“One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace. … The boards with the names of the patients, of different colors depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.”

A British health-care worker shared a message from a doctor in Italy, who alleged that covid-19 patients in their hospital who are over 65, or have complicating conditions, aren’t even being considered for the most intensive forms of supportive treatment.

The experts are telling us that here in the United States, we can avoid hitting that threshold where sizable regions of the country will suddenly step into hell. We still have time to #flattenthecurve, as a popular infographic put it, slowing the spread so that the number of cases never exceeds what our health system can handle. The United States has an unusually high number of ICU beds, which gives us a head start. But we mustn’t squander that advantage through complacency.

So everyone needs to understand a few things.

First, the virus is here, and it is spreading quickly, even though everything looks normal. Right now, the United States has more reported cases than Italy had in late February. What matters isn’t what you can see but what you can’t: the patients who will need ICU care in two to six weeks.

Second, this is not “a bad flu.” It kills more of its hosts, and it will spread farther unless we take aggressive steps to slow it down, because no one is yet immune to this disease. It will be quite some time before the virus runs out of new patients.

Third, we can fight it. Despite early exposure, Singapore and Hong Kong have kept their caseloads low, not by completely shutting down large swaths of their economies as China did but through aggressive personal hygiene and “social distancing.” South Korea seems to be getting its initial outbreak under control using similar measures. If we do the same, we can not only keep our hospitals from overloading but also buy researchers time to develop vaccines and therapies.

Fourth, and most important: We are all in this together. It is your responsibility to keep America safe by following the CDC guidelines, just as much as it is House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s or President Trump’s responsibility to lead us to safety. And until this virus is beaten, we all need to act like it.

[Reply]
eDave 05:14 AM 03-11-2020
Coronavirus Conference Gets Canceled Because of Coronavirus.

The Council on Foreign Relations has canceled a roundtable called “Doing Business Under Coronavirus” scheduled for Friday in New York due to the spread of the infection itself.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...of-coronavirus

@not_the_onion
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:25 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Schnitzel:
I can only report on what’s currently going on here in Europe. I believe many, including myself, have underestimated this virus. It’s not the flu, mortality rates have shown that. And the flu will not just go away, just because CoVid has arrived. Hospitals have to deal with both diseases at the same time. Here in Switzerland, a country with one of the best health care systems in the world, some hospitals have already reached their capacity now, and we are basically one week behind Italy. In Italy, hospitals are considering to start using age limits on ventilators, because there are not enough machines available. Older patients would then just be left to die.

I am not worried about myself, because I’m not part of the risk group. I do know however many persons who are. Panic does not help, but effective measures need to be taken on a government level. It is, however, hard to enforce such measures in the Western World in the same way as in China, especially in a population that still underestimated the situation. Life is not the same anymore here. We will see what will happen when the virus hits overcrowded cities like NYC.

Is the US health system up for the task? Is the health system anywhere up for the task?
I've been telling the posters this in here for a while. Hospitals are going to get swamped. We have 70 million citizens over 60 years old.

We have 10K ventilators in reserve but not that many beds. Maybe 1000 more beds. We will have to set up the vents in high school gyms, hotel rooms etc. But, I think the issue will be not enough Respiratory Therapists to run them all. You cant just put RN's running them. Your off in the slightest pressure/ramp you can injure the lungs and its going to be a slow death for that person.

We are 3 weeks behind Europe. We wasted those 3 weeks with trying to develop our own test and botching it instead of just using the same test the rest of the world uses. Our leadership also thought it was just going away in a few days and played golf.

Mandatory quarantines will never be accepted here but it looks like alot of the public is willing to self-quarantine to protect themselves and others. They seem to be taking this seriously now.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:47 AM 03-11-2020
Sudbury in northern Ontario just got its first confirmed case , that hospital runs over capacity more than 50% of the year already , there is no way it will be able to handle much overflow , many patients from my town go there for treatment since it’s our regional cancer treatment centre, when discharged they usually end up in the hospital where my wife and I work , it is going to be a shitshow for the forceable future.

Hopefully our ceo doesn’t over react like she did with sars but once we start getting cases in sturgeon it’s going to suck we have a large retirement community.
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:49 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Mandatory quarantines will never be accepted here but it looks like alot of the public is willing to self-quarantine to protect themselves and others. They seem to be taking this seriously now.
That dumbshit in Missouri sure wasn't willing to self quarantine. Ya know, the one who was supposed to quarantine himself and then went to a school program. Fucking stupid selfish mother fucker needs to think about other people instead of just himself.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:49 AM 03-11-2020
Puked my guts out in the shower this morning. I was afraid I had the ebola strain of the coronavirus but I think it was just taking my vitamins on an empty stomach.
[Reply]
Pablo 07:52 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Went to a Clan Of Xymox concert tonight. Packed house. No masks. Shared my vape with a few peeps.
Shit bro, looks like the band's already got it.

[Reply]
Pablo 07:54 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Puked my guts out in the shower this morning. I was afraid I had the ebola strain of the coronavirus but I think it was just taking my vitamins on an empty stomach.
What kind of weakshit body you got that Flintstones on an empty stomach make you toss your cookies?

Get tested ASAP, you just might have teh AIDS.
[Reply]
srvy 07:55 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Shit bro, looks like the band's already got it.

:-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:58 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
What kind of weakshit body you got that Flintstones on an empty stomach make you toss your cookies?

Get tested ASAP, you just might have teh AIDS.
I think it was because I took two tabs of wellness formula instead of just one like normal.

No idea why I did that but watching orange puke come out of your quivering body at 8 AM while a pandemic is going on is a bit frightening.
[Reply]
Page 105 of 3903
« First < 55595101102103104105 1061071081091151552056051105 > Last »
Up