ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 62 of 149
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:45 PM 07-22-2020
I don't think they're rushing Singer, I think they're just trying to keep him throwing and developing.

They've been working on the change up for a few years now and it just hasn't come along. I don't think it is going to come along.

He's going to need to find something to use against LH to hit that #3 starter upside. I still think a splitter/cutter (or maybe both) is the answer. He has the frame and enormous hands (apparently) so he might be able to do either. I ust don't think he's picking up the change they're trying to teach him (KC has traditionally been a very heavy circle change team in the past).

I think Kowar ends up as a closer. His FB-CH combo is really good (and his FB velocity could ramp into upper 90s easily in one-inning stints) but the curveball just isn't consistent. I watched him yesterday and that thing was not good. I'm growing skeptical he's going to find the feel for it... which is fine (as long as not all of them turn into back-end bullpen guys).
[Reply]
Mecca 02:47 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I don't think they're rushing Singer, I think they're just trying to keep him throwing and developing.

They've been working on the change up for a few years now and it just hasn't come along. I don't think it is going to come along.

He's going to need to find something to use against LH to hit that #3 starter upside. I still think a splitter/cutter (or maybe both) is the answer. He has the frame and enormous hands (apparently) so he might be able to do either. I ust don't think he's picking up the change they're trying to teach him (KC has traditionally been a very heavy circle change team in the past).

I think Kowar ends up as a closer. His FB-CH combo is really good (and his FB velocity could ramp into upper 90s easily in one-inning stints) but the curveball just isn't consistent. I watched him yesterday and that thing was not good. I'm growing skeptical he's going to find the feel for it... which is fine (as long as not all of them turn into back-end bullpen guys).
The problem with that is they already have a couple of other guys that are likely destined to be relievers in Evan Steele and the Hernandez kid because they are so old for their levels with high end fastballs....we start getting to the point of um who are the starters?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:51 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
This third base guy we got from the Phillies SUCKS defensively. Two games, two errors. Maybe we need to move Alex back to third?
Why y'all think the Phillies non-tendered a cheap young player who averaged 24 homers/season in his first 3 full big-league seasons?

Franco is a REAL flawed player. He kinda has Salvy's approach up there - swing early, swing often, make lots of soft contact so your BABIP sucks, make sure you swing hard so you destroy it if the pitcher makes a mistake.

He gets himself out as much as anyone you'll see. Just no plan at the plate at all. And yeah, complete skillet at the hot corner.

He just never developed. I actually thought he'd have that sort of slow, inevitable development into a solid power hitter than Moustakas had for you guys. It just never happened for him.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:54 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
This third base guy we got from the Phillies SUCKS defensively. Two games, two errors. Maybe we need to move Alex back to third?
He is placeholder until Bobby Witt is ready.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:55 PM 07-22-2020

What's his arm angle?

Some guys just do not come directly enough to the plate to utilize a cutter against off-handed hitters. I don't know enough about him to really speak to it, but if he's a guy that comes from a 3/4 arm slot and/or pitches from the 3rd base side of the rubber, a cutter's just gonna stay wide or drift right into the hitting zone unless it's an absolute monster.

Lance Lynn never figured out a 3rd pitch AND he never learned to get lefties out with any regularity but developed into a solid mid-rotation starter by simply having brass balls out there. Guy was tenacious as hell and reports on Singers makeup seem similar.

Even without a changeup, he can survive by limiting walks and keeping lefties to singles/doubles if he can command his fastball well enough. Won't make him an ace but it'll make him credible.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:57 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
What's his arm angle?

Some guys just do not come directly enough to the plate to utilize a cutter against off-handed hitters. I don't know enough about him to really speak to it, but if he's a guy that comes from a 3/4 arm slot and/or pitches from the 3rd base side of the rubber, a cutter's just gonna stay wide or drift right into the hitting zone unless it's an absolute monster.

Lance Lynn never figured out a 3rd pitch AND he never learned to get lefties out with any regularity but developed into a solid mid-rotation starter by simply having brass balls out there. Guy was tenacious as hell and reports on Singers makeup seem similar.

Even without a changeup, he can survive by limiting walks and keeping lefties to singles/doubles if he can command his fastball well enough. Won't make him an ace but it'll make him credible.
From what I know he's actually a bit below a 3/4 delivery.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:01 PM 07-22-2020
Salvy has two homers in two games. Covid the new steriods?
[Reply]
Mecca 03:01 PM 07-22-2020
The Dodgers keep Betts...

The Mookie Betts contract extension, which tacks 12 years and $365M onto his $27M salary (of which pro rata pay is $10M) this year, is stunning. While deferrals in the deal are expected, the sheer size of the number — $392M — illustrates how much the Dodgers believe in Betts.

— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 22, 2020

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:21 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
From what I know he's actually a bit below a 3/4 delivery.
Yeah - not sure a cutter's the way to go then.

Splitter may not even get you the action you want there. That really does seem more like a guy who's tailor-made for that changeup that gets a bunch of arm-side run and some nice drop to it.

And if that's the case, you really don't want him closing either because it's too easy to stack lefties in the late innings on him. A lower arm slot with only fastball/slider to attack lefties is gonna leave him prone to some crooked numbers when opposing managers have the advantage in the 9th and can empty the bench on him.

Probably better suited for 7th/8th inning situational use if he can't get a pitch that truly messes with lefties or bores in on them. Not sure how can get in their kitchens from a low 3/4.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 04:00 PM 07-22-2020

This rebuild already isn't looking all that great if 2 of the big 3 from that 2018 class are possibly no better than relievers or bottom of the rotation types.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:27 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Matheny announces that Brady Singer will make his MLB debut Saturday and will start vs the Indians
Is this the part where Matheny ruins the careers of several promising pitchers?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:33 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Is this the part where Matheny ruins the careers of several promising pitchers?
As the great Roger Sterling once said, "The day you sign a client is the day you start losing them..."

So yes.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:37 PM 07-22-2020
Man - will Staumont EVER learn to throw strikes?

I remember seeing him last spring and thinking "holy hell, this kid has some serious shit..." but he just could not command it. Minor league numbers seem to support that. That's some nearly historically bad walk rates.

But geez, if the guy could develop even average command, he'd be a friggen hammer in the back end. He can get that fastball anywhere he wants and has damn nice late movement. Nothing seismic, just that little late hitch that takes the ball off the barrel or over the bat.

You can see that hitters don't pick the ball up out of his hand so he must be disguising pitches nicely as well (though this time of day creates weird shadows at Busch that sometimes have the same effect). Nice enough breaking pitch.

The guy has a major league arsenal if he can command it at ALL.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:40 PM 07-22-2020
That 3-2 pitch to Carlson ended middle/middle and Carlson (a damn nice prospect) just fouled it back. Without that little bit of late giddyup, that balls 8 rows deep.

But a pitch later he walks him (2nd walk of the inning).

Gotta command it, kid.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:57 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Man - why do you fast-track him?

I mean I don't see Singer as a super high-ceiling kid to begin with. A nice pitcher w/ a good pitch mix that could slot in as a solid #3 starter over the long-term. But he's not gonna be a guy you hand the ball in October expecting to get 7 innings of 2 run ball. That's just not the stuff I see in him; not the arsenal.

So what's the upshot here? He's not AT his ceiling yet nor is his ceiling so high that you worry about 'wasting bullets' on him in the minors. He's one of those 'spend 2 full seasons in the minors, get called up midway through year 3 after you master polished hitters in AAA' kind of guys.

I guess it's ultimately with the idea that he wasn't gonna get any development in the minors this year so you might as well throw him out there to get some pitches in. And if he's NOT a future ace, then service time games
Matheny already mis-managing young talent?
[Reply]
Page 62 of 149
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672112 > Last »
Up