ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 57
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:15 AM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
Do you all know that dandelions, henbit (purple flower) and clover are some of the first nectar available for bees? Do you also know that some species of bees have been placed on the endangered list?
I have heard about the bumble bee problem due to so much herbicide being used.

We just returned from an 11 day trip to the east coast and the henbit had gone crazy.

It was really nice to see a few big old fat bumble bees though. Now they can just move on to my fruit trees since I have been working on removing the weeds.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:29 AM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
I have heard about the bumble bee problem due to so much herbicide being used.

We just returned from an 11 day trip to the east coast and the henbit had gone crazy.

It was really nice to see a few big old fat bumble bees though. Now they can just move on to my fruit trees since I have been working on removing the weeds.

This is why we're doing what we can to help and planting that bee garden a few posts up. Everything we planted is supposedly stuff bees love. And most of our veggie garden is great for bees.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:30 AM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by D2112:
Use a fertilizer with a surface and subsurface insecticide to kill any chinch bugs or grubs. The time frame to apply this is in late June. I don't know about Missouri but around here the grubs hatch out and fly out as jap beetles right around 4th of July. They have sex and lay their eggs (grubs) in the same place they flew out of. Merit has a 4 month residual but has to be watered in when you use a granular. So wait until before a predicted rainfall to apply this fert around this timeframe. That will take care of your grub problem.
Thanks!

I was doing some planting in my garden this week and dug up a bunch of those darn grubs. They are everywhere! I have the merit ready, and it sounds like I may need to order more.

I am hesitant to put it on my garden though.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:32 AM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
This is why we're doing what we can to help and planting that bee garden a few posts up. Everything we planted is supposedly stuff bees love. And most of our veggie garden is great for bees.
I was going to tell you that if one of those plants doesn't work out. I had a landlord plant a plant of alfalfa and it worked pretty decent as an ornamental. You just have to cut it down in the fall or spring. And it will get the pollinators rolling.
[Reply]
2112 12:41 PM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Thanks!

I was doing some planting in my garden this week and dug up a bunch of those darn grubs. They are everywhere! I have the merit ready, and it sounds like I may need to order more.

I am hesitant to put it on my garden though.
Do not put it anywhere near your garden.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:40 PM 04-14-2017
Dog kept meandering through the bee garden. So we built a fence.

[Reply]
cabletech94 05:58 PM 04-14-2017
kill the dog. take down the fence. someone may have mentioned anti-freeze once or twice.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:01 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
kill the dog. take down the fence. someone may have mentioned anti-freeze once or twice.

I was going for razor wire, but she likes the dog more than me.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:29 PM 04-14-2017
Is there anyway we can shoot the moon or create a mountain range in central Kansas that will make Johnson County into an arid wasteland like Phx, Las Vegas etc? I don't want grass or to fuck with my yard.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:48 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Is there anyway we can shoot the moon or create a mountain range in central Kansas that will make Johnson County into an arid wasteland like Phx, Las Vegas etc? I don't want grass or to fuck with my yard.
Can you just have a rock lawn like we do in the desert?
[Reply]
KS Smitty 07:29 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Is there anyway we can shoot the moon or create a mountain range in central Kansas that will make Johnson County into an arid wasteland like Phx, Las Vegas etc? I don't want grass or to **** with my yard.
Gravel the whole yard. My father-in-law wanted to do that, needless to say Mom Smith was not on board but he did manage to get it shady enough nothing would grow.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:34 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Dog kept meandering through the bee garden. So we built a fence.

I hope nothing you plan to eat will be in the middle box. It's going to be hard to reach and tend to.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:37 PM 04-14-2017
The Hibiscus are loving this weather. 20+ blooms on this one plant.

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:53 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I hope nothing you plan to eat will be in the middle box. It's going to be hard to reach and tend to.

It's a bee garden, so flowers only.
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:54 PM 04-14-2017
Lawn guy came by and put fertilizer down last Sunday. Then it rained. Now the grass is starting to grow and I'm going to have to fucking mow it soon. I want winter back.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 57
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up