ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 223
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662102152 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:26 AM 10-13-2017
Always good to pull food 5 or so degrees before your target, as food temp will rise as it rests (you should be letting your shit rest).

Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
The only casuality for me of hurricane Irma was my smoker. Somehow the rain, storm, humidity, wind or all that got under the cover and I didn't check it for a week. Now, I got an excuse to get another one.

Rip
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:07 PM 10-13-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Great link, Thank you!
You would think that someone who has a certificate (management level) in food safety should know this stuff but thats not what they teach...

Thanks for the enlightenment.
If you've never played with sous vide, entry is pretty inexpensive these days. You can get a decent circulator for $100 and a quite nice Joule for $150.

Everyone talks about steak, but it really shines, IMO, with chicken, pork, and fish. Chicken at 140-145, medium rare pork, and perfectly cooked fish are where it's at.

And things you wouldn't think of - custards that are finicky, creme brulee is super easy, and even dulce de leche just by pouring a can of condensed milk into a ball jar and letting it sit.

You might enjoy this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/bb/showthread.php?t=243228
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:51 PM 10-16-2017
went to the parklea markets http://parkleamarkets.com.au/ on sunday. bought three YUGE pork rib slabs to smoke later this spring, but tomorrow:

beef jerky on the smoker. all told it will have been marinating for 48 hours in the fridge. again, cherry wood and hickory. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:12 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Rip
That was my 3rd electric smoker. Wore the other two out. Just had this one for a couple of years before a hurricane got a hold of it.:-)
[Reply]
lewdog 06:08 PM 10-16-2017
I used to think Cooper was a Hootie mult.

But Hootie never knew this much about anything.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 06:10 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
That was my 3rd electric smoker. Wore the other two out. Just had this one for a couple of years before a hurricane got a hold of it.:-)
Dang, that's some bad luck you have with them. Going for another masterbuilt or changing it up?

I've got one myself, but find myself using a pellet grill more as of late.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:27 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I used to think Cooper was a Hootie mult.

But Hootie never knew this much about anything.
Except pissing on dudes and fucking drunk sluts.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:29 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Dang, that's some bad luck you have with them. Going for another masterbuilt or changing it up?

I've got one myself, but find myself using a pellet grill more as of late.
just bad luck with a hurricane. The two other electric smokers lasted me 25+ years. When I was in KC, I used them a lot. Got my money's worth out of them.

I've used the Masterpiece and the Bradley smokers. Was happy with both. Tough decision on what's next.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:28 AM 10-17-2017
You have created an interest but do I need a food saver to use it? Other than a container what do I need? should food be put on a rack?

I'll look into it but I wish there was one I could try first.

I watched a video for brisket from smoker to bath to torch sear on briskets and butts. I am looking at the Flat Irons that I will be cooking tomorrow and wishing I could try it on them.

I am guessing you go by pound, thickness, and temp but I'm not sure when you know it's done. On a brisket, 1/2 turkey, or butt how do you know? I mean I saw a full brisket and 2 butts bath for 60 hours at 145 degrees. What happens if time is 4 hours longer/ shorter?

I would probably start with small chuck roasts, smoking before bathing to get the hang of it before I were to waste a 15lb brisket.

And, just to think, I had my eyes one one of these but it may have to wait...

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
If you've never played with sous vide, entry is pretty inexpensive these days. You can get a decent circulator for $100 and a quite nice Joule for $150.

Everyone talks about steak, but it really shines, IMO, with chicken, pork, and fish. Chicken at 140-145, medium rare pork, and perfectly cooked fish are where it's at.

And things you wouldn't think of - custards that are finicky, creme brulee is super easy, and even dulce de leche just by pouring a can of condensed milk into a ball jar and letting it sit.

You might enjoy this thread:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/bb/showthread.php?t=243228

[Reply]
Buehler445 01:03 AM 10-17-2017
You have created an interest but do I need a food saver to use it? Other than a container what do I need? should food be put on a rack?

I'll look into it but I wish there was one I could try first.

I watched a video for brisket from smoker to bath to torch sear on briskets and butts. I am looking at the Flat Irons that I will be cooking tomorrow and wishing I could try it on them.

I am guessing you go by pound, thickness, and temp but I'm not sure when you know it's done. On a brisket, 1/2 turkey, or butt how do you know? I mean I saw a full brisket and 2 butts bath for 60 hours at 145 degrees. What happens if time is 4 hours longer/ shorter?

I would probably start with small chuck roasts, smoking before bathing to get the hang of it before I were to waste a 15lb brisket.

And, just to think, I had my eyes one one of these but it may have to wait...

You should get a food saver either way. Guys here turned me onto them. Worth the money. Out here anyway.
[Reply]
olout 10-17-2017, 01:19 AM
This message has been deleted by DaFace. Reason: spam
cooper barrett 01:41 AM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
went to the parklea markets http://parkleamarkets.com.au/ on sunday. bought three YUGE pork rib slabs to smoke later this spring, but tomorrow:

beef jerky on the smoker. all told it will have been marinating for 48 hours in the fridge. again, cherry wood and hickory. :-)
Spareribs? How YUGE is YUGE?

What cut of meat for jerky do you use?
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:42 AM 10-17-2017
Butcher told me yesterday they were going to have a sale on "prime" chuck roasts soon. Maybe prime chuck roll? Perk!!

I just like the flavor of chuck as I never had a real steak until i went to college. My parents grilled 7 bone chucks that were 2"-2.5" and as a steak. My dad dry aged them in the spare fridge in the garage and then injected them with marinade and bagged them before grilling them directly and indirectly for what seemed like eternity to me. He grilled over charcoal with hickory chips during indirect cooking until med rare so after resting that were Med. with a stripe of red in the center.

It was a big piece of Flintstone meat. I remember the long waits while the meat rested for what seemed like hours. My dad would dissect the 5-6 different muscles and carve them to serving size pieces, hiding the little piece of longissimus (ribeye) for himself.

I have never been able to make it as tender as my dad could but something tells me there was a tenderizer in the marinade.

I now buy, when I can, what is called a chuck roll (Choice$4.37lb/ Sams Prime at Restaurant Depot) which is about 20lbs and cook it as 2 pieces just like a brisket.

[Reply]
Nickhead 01:48 AM 10-17-2017
Spareribs? How YUGE is YUGE?

What cut of meat for jerky do you use?
probably about 4lbs per slab and the jerky meat is rump roast :-)

that cast iron pan being shown, i don't have that one, but i have a four piece set in that color and style. absolutely love them. campfire brand here down under. :-)

and a grilling cast iron the same as the last pan shown.
:-)
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:32 AM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
probably about 4lbs per slab and the jerky meat is rump roast :-)

that cast iron pan being shown, i don't have that one, but i have a four piece set in that color and style. absolutely love them. campfire brand here down under. :-)
Ya, my ex didn't even think of asking for cookware, knives, or grill stuff when we split. She just took the Waffle house Belgium waffle iron and whatever I left behind.

I have tons of Le Creuset branded stuff... I have several pieces you can't buy anymore such as a 14" saute pan and a 12" low wall single handled frying pan along with all the normal stuff. The only thing I don't have and may never get is a combo roasting/ covered casserole pan. If you ever see one, any color, think of me?

'
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:43 AM 10-17-2017
Tonights dinner, mixed greens salad with balsamic syrup dressing and sliced flat iron steak with onion, red bell and Poblano peppers. White Habanero peppers for a little kick.
Attached: beef.jpg (58.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 52 of 223
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662102152 > Last »
Up