ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1763 of 3903
« First < 763126316631713175317591760176117621763 176417651766176717731813186322632763 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:56 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by The PMII Hypothesis:
Just got back from the Dr’s office after receiving a chest X-ray, 2nd Covid test, and blood drawn for antibody testing.

Had flu like symptoms back in Mid-March, about a week after a trip to Houston for work. The symptoms were body aches, intense lethargy, sinus pressure, dizziness, coughing, light chest pains but no fever so I figured bad sinus infection. April 2nd woke up with bad conjectivitus in both eyes unlike any I’d ever had so I made a doctors appointment. 3 hours later I went to the doctor and instead of seeing the dr they directed to a parking space where they took a Covid swab. The swab was weak, like no tears in my eyes weak. Barely went past the nostrils to get the sample while I sat in my car. Doctor calls me on FaceTime like app and prescribes eye drops. Covid test comes back negative 2 days later.

Then I really got sick. Lungs were aching, couldn’t take deep breaths, truly had two days I was scared and decided if it got any worse I’d seek hospital treatment, but my oximeter said my blood oxygen was good and my Covid test was negative with no underlying healthy issues (41 yrs old) so rest, eat healthy, hydrate, and let the mucinex do its work. Two days of coughing up green thick mucus and my lungs started to feel better. This was about a 10 days ago. Pretty quickly my energy returned to normal, back to lifting weights and taking walks (couldn’t run yet, lungs not ready for whatever reason) for the first time in weeks, albeit still with a cough.

Fast forward to yesterday lungs Started getting heavier again and kind of tickling so I’m like enough, back to the doctor today to get the xrays and see what going on. This is like a 6+ week illness at this point.

So today after the tests the Doctor to my surprise tells me I have pneumonia in one lung, and wants to do an ekg, Covid test, and bloodwork. Ekg was good, and now waiting on bloodwork. Antibody test results in 5 days or less, Covid he said by Monday. My Doctor also works at UAB (one of the sites where they have nation leading infectious disease studies) and strongly believes I have/had Covid given the laundry list of symptomS and progression. He’s prescribed antibiotics and a nebulizer to treat the lungs condition, and said 90% chance I should improve.

Never would have bet I had pneumonia, and not sure what I hope to happen next, but I need to get better and shake this most persistent sickness. Btw I’ve never had a fever this entire time, and the second Covid test made my eyes watery and unable to open for 29 seconds, like I had taken a bite from a giant lemon - night and day to the first one - improper swabs could be the reason for many false negatives.
That's pretty interesting that you had pneumonia in only one lung. I know one of the imaging hallmarks early in the epidemic before there where really any tests was bilateral pneumonia with groundglass opacities.

I know that others have spoken about improper technique with the swabs, and I would also bet that contributes to the false negative rate.

UAB is where Beatrice Hahn was for years. That's awesome that you're down there.

Just out of curiosity, what antibiotic did he write for? And FYI, Mucinex isn't a very well-liked drug among pharmacists. You have to be at the max dose to notice much of any effect (although if you use it at high enough doses it actually becomes a skeletal muscle relaxant. I've compounded it for use in horses as a three-part anesthesia regimen).

Best of luck. Hopefully you start feeling better soon and can figure out what's kept you down.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:59 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's pretty interesting that you had pneumonia in only one lung. I know one of the imaging hallmarks early in the epidemic before there where really any tests was bilateral pneumonia with groundglass opacities.

I know that others have spoken about improper technique with the swabs, and I would also bet that contributes to the false negative rate.

UAB is where Beatrice Hahn was for years. That's awesome that you're down there.

Just out of curiosity, what antibiotic did he write for? And FYI, Mucinex isn't a very well-liked drug among pharmacists. You have to be at the max dose to notice much of any effect (although if you use it at high enough doses it actually becomes a skeletal muscle relaxant. I've compounded it for use in horses as a three-part anesthesia regimen).

Best of luck. Hopefully you start feeling better soon and can figure out what's kept you down.
What is interesting about the one lung? That’s what my Son had was just one lung with the glassy stuff as the doctor put it.
[Reply]
eDave 06:59 PM 05-01-2020
Sidetrack yourself with some My Morning Jacket:

https://www.facebook.com/mymorningja...eply&ref=notif
[Reply]
Monticore 07:02 PM 05-01-2020

Unilateral presentation is more common in bacterial pneumonia.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:02 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Didn’t the person they re checked from San Fran have it in early January?
Trivia for you: the first person whose tissue tested positive for HIV was a 15-year-old teenager from St. Louis that had never left the Missouri area who died in 1969.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:04 PM 05-01-2020
Trivia for you: the first person whose tissue tested positive for HIV was a 15-year-old teenager from St. Louis that had never left the Missouri area who died in 1969.
For reals????
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:19 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I mean it’s one hell of a coinkydink that this happens at the same time we have one of our worst flu seasons ever.

I haven't seen much data indicating that this is an especially bad flu season. Deaths and hospitalizations through January weren't abnormally high. The spike in the graph on the CDC website combines both pneumonia and influenza deaths, so it can be a little confusing when you first look it.

Hospitalizations were quite a bit lower (about 30%) than 2017-8. Pediatric deaths were about 10% lower than 2017-18, but 20% higher than last year.

Did you find that info somewhere else?
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 07:20 PM 05-01-2020

Thanks man. Levofloxacin 500 mg 10 days
[Reply]
petegz28 07:22 PM 05-01-2020
I haven't seen much data indicating that this is an especially bad flu season. Deaths and hospitalizations through January weren't abnormally high. The spike in the graph on the CDC website combines both pneumonia and influenza deaths, so it can be a little confusing when you first look it.

Hospitalizations were quite a bit lower (about 30%) than 2017-8. Pediatric deaths were about 10% lower than 2017-18, but 20% higher than last year.

Did you find that info somewhere else?
No I was just going by communications being put out by our health system.
[Reply]
banyon 07:24 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by banyon:
Damn, I would really like to go to this. I've lived here for 3 years and haven't had a chance because of prior year pine beetle infestations cancelling it. Hopefully we will be in a spot where it can happen:

4th of July fireworks approved for Mount Rushmore celebration

WASHINGTON (KEVN/KOTA TV) - It's official. This year's celebration of America's birthday will go off with a bang at Mount Rushmore.

A previous Fourth of July celebration with fireworks over Mt. Rushmore. (KOTA TV)
The National Park Service on Tuesday announced the return of Fourth of July celebration fireworks after an 11-year absence due to fire concerns. This comes after an environmental assessment found the fireworks would not cause a significant impact.

Of course, the celebration is contingent on the pandemic reopening guidelines; as well as the traditional "flies in the ointment," such as weather, security and wildland fire conditions.

"President Trump and I believe that our nation's founding should be celebrated with the same pomp and parade that John Adams described in 1776, and having a fireworks display at Mount Rushmore once again will be an incredible spectacle for the American people to enjoy," Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt said.

"We appreciate all the work President Trump and his team at the Department of the Interior have done to make this celebration possible again for the country," Gov. Kristi Noem added
Well F***

Trump to visit Mount Rushmore for fireworks display on July 3 https://t.co/36kanCb85h pic.twitter.com/hGMLsZ7sz0

— New York Post (@nypost) May 1, 2020

[Reply]
phisherman 07:24 PM 05-01-2020
For reals????
Yep, Robert Rayford. Died in 1969. Had never traveled internationally nor had he ever received a blood transfusion. The general consensus was that he contracted it either through being sexually abused or from working as a child prostitute on the streets of St. Louis.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:26 PM 05-01-2020
For reals????
Yeah. His name was Robert Rayford and he was treated at Barnes Jewish in St. Louis (this is all public info). Apparently he was forced to become a child prostitute. He originally showed up in 1968 complaining of a laundry list of symptoms we'd later associate with HIV/AIDS. They found that he had Kaposi's Sarcoma, which was extremely rare and only really found in Italian, Mediterranean, and Ashkenazi Jews in any real frequency.

The doctors thought this was exceptionally odd, so they preserved tissue samples. Once an AIDS test came out in the mid-80's they decided to test said samples, and sure enough, they came back positive. However, other scientists later argued that the strain of HIV he had was prominent in France in the 80s, which would mean that his positive test was a result of contamination, but their work was never published. The doctor who had the samples worked at Tulane later in their career, and the remaining samples they had were actually destroyed as a result of Katrina, so we will never know for certain, but his clinical presentation checked all of the boxes.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:28 PM 05-01-2020
Glad you’re so far so good. How were you exposed by your coworker? Just same office building? Crazy so many of you are testing positive.
Healthcare bro. We all just seem to be sharing it, even with all the PPE we were using...,..oh yeah that we were reusing every fucking day.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:31 PM 05-01-2020
Thanks man. Levofloxacin 500 mg 10 days
Well that will certainly do it. Be sure to stretch your calves and Achilles before explosive exercises for a while after your treatment course. Fluoroquinolones (more cipro than levo) can increase your risk of Achilles rupture for about a month, but if you aren't also taking corticosteroids, your age puts you at fairly low risk.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 07:42 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Healthcare bro. We all just seem to be sharing it, even with all the PPE we were using...,..oh yeah that we were reusing every ****ing day.
Damn bro, get through these next 7 days and get your MF immunity cape*!

*mileage may vary
[Reply]
Page 1763 of 3903
« First < 763126316631713175317591760176117621763 176417651766176717731813186322632763 > Last »
Up