ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2520 of 3903
« First < 1520202024202470251025162517251825192520 252125222523252425302570262030203520 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 07:59 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
It’s hit or miss unless you’re need a ventilator. I find it crazy that so many in the young group are needing some form of hospital care from this virus.

Ventilator stays are tracking over 2 weeks on average, tying up a vent to that patient for quite a long time.
I'd be curious to know how many of the ventilator patients are vapers and what not? I've had some doctors say that shit is worse than smoking, Covid aside even.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:03 PM 07-06-2020
Dr. Atlas: New coronavirus cases should not be the focus -- it should be hospitalizations, deaths

While infection rate rises in new hotspots, death rate has not, doctor says

Former Stanford University Medical Center Chief of Neuroradiology Dr. Scott Atlas said Monday that there is too strong a focus on one aspect of coronavirus statistics at the present time, and not enough on another.

Atlas, a senior fellow at Stanford's Hoover Institution, said on "The Story" that there's been a heavy focus on an uptick in cases, especially in places where governors either have reinstated or have further enforced restrictions.

"When we see this focus on more cases, it doesn't really matter how many cases -- it only matters who gets the cases. We know that the infection-fatality rate for people under 70 is 0.04 percent -- that's less than or equal to the seasonal flu," he said.

"The cases themselves should not be and were never the focus. It's only the tragic consequences of the cases. When we look at the cases in every state, the overwhelming majority are younger and healthier people."

He said in the newer hotspots of Florida and Texas, the median age of those infected has varied from under 30 to about 40 -- and those flareups mean little, so long as those hardier folks recover as they would from any other virus or disease.

Atlas said what matters is the rate at which high-risk people are being affected -- and whether the capacity for treatment still exists and whether the death rate from the virus is going up.

He said that instead of bad news on that front, despite the uptick in infections in various states, the death rate from coronavirus is actually decreasing.

"I realize we have to wait to see the story play out here, but right now, the cases are going up for three weeks and we have no increase, in fact, we have a decrease in death rates. It doesn't matter if you get the illness if you're going to fully recover and be fine from it -- That's what people must understand. For younger healthier people, there's not a high risk from this disease at all."

In Texas, the government has ordered bars and other establishments to close again, among other mitigation orders.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/scott-...s-deaths-focus
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:08 PM 07-06-2020
This age group has stayed on top of the COVID hospitalizations in AZ for the past month, so your logic is faulty.

The amount of people in their 20-40's needing hospital care is normally very low, so by your scenario this wouldn't fit the numbers. And those needing a "knee surgery" who are testing positive for COVID in the hospital and being recorded as live data over weeks and weeks simply doesn't make sense. They'd be positive and discharged home quickly, not taking up bed space. Those in the hospital in this age group are receiving lots of care for COVID symptoms.

I bet you're another dipshit who is far removed from the medical community, making more illogical claims.
I accidentally thumbs downed this post
[Reply]
lewdog 08:10 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I accidentally thumbs downed this post
No problem Boo

xoxo
Lewdog
[Reply]
petegz28 08:12 PM 07-06-2020
No problem Boo

xoxo
Lewdog
Dude, your xoxo gig is really starting to seem a bit creepy........:-)
[Reply]
lewdog 08:19 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Dude, your xoxo gig is really starting to seem a bit creepy........:-)
Thanks Bae

Xoxo
Big Lew
[Reply]
TLO 08:19 PM 07-06-2020
Dr. Atlas: New coronavirus cases should not be the focus -- it should be hospitalizations, deaths

While infection rate rises in new hotspots, death rate has not, doctor says

Former Stanford University Medical Center Chief of Neuroradiology Dr. Scott Atlas said Monday that there is too strong a focus on one aspect of coronavirus statistics at the present time, and not enough on another.

Atlas, a senior fellow at Stanford's Hoover Institution, said on "The Story" that there's been a heavy focus on an uptick in cases, especially in places where governors either have reinstated or have further enforced restrictions.

"When we see this focus on more cases, it doesn't really matter how many cases -- it only matters who gets the cases. We know that the infection-fatality rate for people under 70 is 0.04 percent -- that's less than or equal to the seasonal flu," he said.

"The cases themselves should not be and were never the focus. It's only the tragic consequences of the cases. When we look at the cases in every state, the overwhelming majority are younger and healthier people."

He said in the newer hotspots of Florida and Texas, the median age of those infected has varied from under 30 to about 40 -- and those flareups mean little, so long as those hardier folks recover as they would from any other virus or disease.

Atlas said what matters is the rate at which high-risk people are being affected -- and whether the capacity for treatment still exists and whether the death rate from the virus is going up.

He said that instead of bad news on that front, despite the uptick in infections in various states, the death rate from coronavirus is actually decreasing.

"I realize we have to wait to see the story play out here, but right now, the cases are going up for three weeks and we have no increase, in fact, we have a decrease in death rates. It doesn't matter if you get the illness if you're going to fully recover and be fine from it -- That's what people must understand. For younger healthier people, there's not a high risk from this disease at all."

In Texas, the government has ordered bars and other establishments to close again, among other mitigation orders.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/scott-...s-deaths-focus
0.04%? I'd like to see where that number came from.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:23 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The CDC's five scenarios include one based on "a current best estimate about viral transmission and disease severity in the United States." That scenario assumes a "basic reproduction number" of 2.5, meaning the average carrier can be expected to infect that number of people in a population with no immunity. It assumes an overall symptomatic case fatality rate (CFR) of 0.4 percent, roughly four times the estimated CFR for the seasonal flu. The CDC estimates that the CFR for COVID-19 falls to 0.05 percent among people younger than 50 and rises to 1.3 percent among people 65 and older. For people in the middle (ages 50–64), the estimated CFR is 0.2 percent.

That "best estimate" scenario also assumes that 35 percent of infections are asymptomatic, meaning the total number of infections is more than 50 percent larger than the number of symptomatic cases. It therefore implies that the IFR is between 0.2 percent and 0.3 percent. By contrast, the projections that the CDC made in March, which predicted that as many as 1.7 million Americans could die from COVID-19 without intervention, assumed an IFR of 0.8 percent. Around the same time, researchers at Imperial College produced a worst-case scenario in which 2.2 million Americans died, based on an IFR of 0.9 percent.

https://reason.com/2020/05/24/the-cd...ate-below-0-3/

Keep in mind the IFR will be lower than the CFR...
[Reply]
petegz28 08:24 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I am not sure where he got the data but I am in no position to question it at this time anyway. Anecdotally speaking there has been all of 7 deaths of people under 70 In JoCo and 0 under 40 out of almost 2300 cases.
[Reply]
cdcox 08:30 PM 07-06-2020
I am not sure where he got the data but I am in no position to question it at this time anyway. Anecdotally speaking there has been all of 7 deaths of people under 70 In JoCo and 0 under 40 out of almost 2300 cases.
You act like no one over 70 counts. The average life expectancy of a 70 year old in the US is 15 years.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:32 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
[I]The CDC's five scenarios include one based
That article is more than 6 weeks old
[Reply]
petegz28 08:33 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
You act like no one over 70 counts. The average life expectancy of a 70 year old in the US is 15 years.
And there we go with the straw man. I state the actual data and "you hate old people".

You're a fucking idiot. No where did I say people over 70 doesn't count. But you choose to willfully take what I said out of context, present a straw man then go on to act like you are above something when in reality all you did was ignore what was said because you wanted to be a dick

Enjoy your life, asshole
[Reply]
petegz28 08:39 PM 07-06-2020
Dr. Atlas: We know that the infection-fatality rate for people under 70 is 0.04 percent

TLO: Where is he getting that data?

Me: I don't know but anecdotally in my locality it would be similar as no on under 40 has died and most have been 70 or older

CdCox: YOU HATE OLD PEOPLE!
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:42 PM 07-06-2020
Or you should just stay out of public and then you won't have to worry. How's that?
I am not worried because I wear masks and practice social distancing.
The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few or the one.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
TLO 08:45 PM 07-06-2020
In the entire state of Missouri 4 people out of almost 4000 cases have died.

Not that this contributes much to the conversation but there you go.
[Reply]
Page 2520 of 3903
« First < 1520202024202470251025162517251825192520 252125222523252425302570262030203520 > Last »
Up