ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2466 of 3903
« First < 1466196623662416245624622463246424652466 246724682469247024762516256629663466 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:17 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
How are we, as Americans, ****ing this up so badly?
We as Americans have spent too long telling ourselves we are exceptional, just because. Taking things for granted. Instead of actually doing exceptional things.

Our bitterly polarized, and largely paralyzed, politics doesn't help. But it isn't the whole story.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:18 PM 06-29-2020
The irony is some who think they are helping are fucking it up. And some who are deemed as fucking it up are really helping. Then you have those that are straight up fucking it up and those that are helping.

If I had to try and put my thumb on it I would say it's largely due to bad leadership at the state levels coupled with a willfully ignorant media that loves to stoke fear.
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:25 PM 06-29-2020
Because everything has been politicized.

People will reject common sense thinking they're making a noble act of rebellion. People will reject facts just because the other side agrees with them, or that they might be seen as helping the other side's argument, instead of caring about what's true or false. It's only what is us vs them.

We have completely lost the ability to think beyond not giving the other side an inch
[Reply]
petegz28 09:27 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:

People will reject common sense thinking they're making a noble act of rebellion. People will reject facts just because the other side agrees with them.

We have completely lost the ability to think beyond not giving the other side an inch
See you say that but when you blast people for protesting the shelter in place order and tell them "safety trumps your right to protest" then 2 weeks later in some cases literally condone mass protests and riots while at the same time telling people they can't get their hair cut then you have sent a very inconsistent message.

That's all I will say as this will get political quick but what do you expect from people when that kind of shit happens?
[Reply]
stumppy 09:30 PM 06-29-2020
I've thought that a few times. Then I remember who the country voted into office in 2016.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:30 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
If this country had to pull together like they did in the Second World War we would all be speaking German or Japanese

Definitely German. Japan was already over extended in the territory they gained prior to WWII. Germany would have turned on them without a doubt and prevented any further eastern growth from Japan. They would have considered themselves lucky if Germany let them keep those territories.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:35 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I've thought that a few times. Then I remember who the country voted into office in 2016.
And he goes full Mecca/Billay.
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:42 PM 06-29-2020
We're not fucking it up, someone is fucking it up for us.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:50 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
The irony is some who think they are helping are ****ing it up. And some who are deemed as ****ing it up are really helping. Then you have those that are straight up ****ing it up and those that are helping.

If I had to try and put my thumb on it I would say it's largely due to bad leadership at the state levels coupled with a willfully ignorant media that loves to stoke fear.
The media is making people get sick? The media is forcing people to be stupid/selfish assholes and not wear a mask?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:52 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:

People will reject common sense thinking they're making a noble act of rebellion. People will reject facts just because the other side agrees with them, or that they might be seen as helping the other side's argument, instead of caring about what's true or false. It's only what is us vs them.

I think that's part of it, but I also think that the internet has created this world in which everyone has a take, and their voices hold near equal weight to those who actually are experts. Fifty years ago, all you could really do would be to listen to your government leaders because who the fuck else are you going to ask what they think we should be doing. Today, just think about how much information you know about this situation and where it came from. I guarantee a majority of it came from random people who don't have a clue what they're talking about. That's created a world in which conspiracy theories are given way more attention than they deserve, which then creates more distrust in expertise, which then gives more attention to conspiracy theories....

Add in a nice dose of many leaders contradicting each other, and it's a recipe for everyone saying "fuck it." That has consequences, as we're seeing now, but it's not hard to see how we got here.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:54 PM 06-29-2020
DOOM and GLOOM

:-)
[Reply]
petegz28 09:55 PM 06-29-2020
The media is making people get sick? The media is forcing people to be stupid/selfish assholes and not wear a mask?
Dude, masks are not some silver bullet against Covid. They help to a degree but just because you wear one doesn't mean you can go do whatever the fuck you want. And yes, the media condoning and encouraging mass public gatherings A.K.A. riots, doesn't help anyone.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:06 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I understand, but for the under 35 group you're more likely to be hospitalised from the flu? According to that info. I think I'm looking at it right.
Which figure leads you to that conclusion?
[Reply]
cdcox 10:07 PM 06-29-2020
We took public health and made it a political issue.
[Reply]
tk13 10:13 PM 06-29-2020
Some of that is just the internet. I mean let's be real, there are people in this thread who are legitimately mentally ill because of politics. They have planted their flag in the ground and they aren't going to move. That's the internet.

It was all fun and games when it first started. Now 125,000 people are dead and people are making the same arguments and think it's not a big deal. You'd say it's unbelievable but I guess it's not. A complete lack of compassion for their country or other people. Only for themselves.
[Reply]
Page 2466 of 3903
« First < 1466196623662416245624622463246424652466 246724682469247024762516256629663466 > Last »
Up